Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #46
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,204
Sept 2010 - here's the loop I'm planning:

GDR: Pinedale WY to Salida CO
TAT: Salida CO to Salina UT (plus a day to play around Moab)
Skyline Drive north from Salina
TID (http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID.htm: Jenkins Hollow to Big Southern Butte)
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #47
DirtyDR650 OP
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
Piston, This should get you started.
Very good stuff, there.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #48
cdq3
DRZ400pack mule

Oddometer: 932
july 2010

i will be solo so far, will be doing the tennessee, miss, and ark. then turn south and across the southern states i hope. plan for july. DRZ400S(many mods).. hope to see some of you guys out there.

I take pride in having a ugly bike,where i ride pretty dont count.
cdq3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #49
tucanslam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
end of june 2010

going from tenn. to OR. end of june with three other guys. i will be riding a drz400sm with 606's. has anyone done the trail with a BMW F800GS? by the way im 30. hope to see some of you guys on the trail.

tucanslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #50
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,569
I have heard of it being done on a F800GS but keep in mind you must be a pretty experienced rider in the hard sections on this size bike.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #51
DirtyDR650 OP
Mud Lover

Sounds like everyone is doing their TAT trips in June/July/August. The eastern states oughta be pretty dry by then. What, ya'll scared of a little mud?
More likely, we're idiots for doing it in April/May! Stocking up on large zip-loc bags!

I've read several ride reports of folks doing Mississippi and Arkansas during the rainy season, it seems possible that some sections may be flooded or otherwise impassable. Our 14-day time frame should be adequate in the event of detours and other difficulties.
However, I'd really appreciate any tips or suggestions from those who have done it in the wet?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #52
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Changed Plans

I'm not afraid of the rain, I just want to get over the passes in Colorado without playing in the snow and sliding off the mountain!

I'm still riding the TAT in late June/early July, but I didn't trust my kick-only XR600 to play fair, so have another steed in the stable. I'll be riding a KTM 640 ADV , and the XR will have to wait at home for the short loops.

See you on the Trail! (Orange-Aid Express!)

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #53
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
I did the eastern tat (TN thru OK) in August 2009. I am planning on doing the eastern tat again sometime in the spring of 2010, and the western tat in August (after the snow melts in the rockies).

I have an XT225 with a clarke 4 gallon tank, ascerbis bark busters, pro-moto billet rear rack, and michelin T-63 tires. I am installing a renazco racing seat, new fork springs with race tech gold valve emulators, and a stiffer rear shock spring over the winter. I was not happy with the seat or suspension on the XT last year.

I ride solo, and go as light as possible - Camping with an ultralight hennessy hammock and sleeping bag (about 5 lbs total). The hammock, sleeping bag, and spare clothes get stuffed into a fold top waterproof bag and strapped to the rear rack. I also have a wolfman small expedition tank bag for misc tools and supplies.

I use a Delorme PN-40 gps (ram mount to the handlebars) that has the entire tat routed (I did buy the maps/charts from Sam). I have black/white aerial images for the entire tat on the gps, which are used in a hybrid display mode to display both the roads and aerial images at the same time.

I spend way too much time thinking about, and planning for the TAT. It's become an obsession! I even started a training program at the gym - 30 minutes of weight training and 45 minutes on an eliptical machine every other day.
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #54
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Mike
I'm not afraid of the rain, I just want to get over the passes in Colorado without playing in the snow and sliding off the mountain!

I'm still riding the TAT in late June/early July, but I didn't trust my kick-only XR600 to play fair, so have another steed in the stable. I'll be riding a KTM 640 ADV , and the XR will have to wait at home for the short loops.

See you on the Trail! (Orange-Aid Express!)
I rode my XR600 on the TAT and can't think of a better bike to do it on. Electric start is just something else that can go wrong.

As a matter of fact, the TAT was created on a XR600!

Sam himself!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #55
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongCliff
I use a Delorme PN-40 gps (ram mount to the handlebars) that has the entire tat routed (I did buy the maps/charts from Sam). I have black/white aerial images for the entire tat on the gps, which are used in a hybrid display mode to display both the roads and aerial images at the same time.

I spend way too much time thinking about, and planning for the TAT. It's become an obsession! I even started a training program at the gym - 30 minutes of weight training and 45 minutes on an eliptical machine every other day.
How much space do the roads and aerial images take up on your PN-40? And how big a swath did you use when selecting which maps/map tiles or aerial views to use?

Training program is good -- even the lightest of bikes gets heavy towards the end of the day not to mention all the energy you use up getting on and off the bike to open and close the gates out west. I've been putting off starting mine.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #56
LongCliff
Bagger

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
How much space do the roads and aerial images take up on your PN-40?
The b/w DOQQ Aerial Images along the TAT are 7.5 GB total. The roads and trails are included with the TOPO maps that I have loaded for about 75% of the USA. The TOPO maps are 15 GB total. I have a 32 GB SDHC card installed in the PN-40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
And how big a swath did you use when selecting which maps/map tiles or aerial views to use?
Getting the aerial images to the PN-40 gps is a two step process. First you download the images from Delorme to your computer, and then you determine what zoom levels you want to include and "cut" the images for the GPS.

When I downloaded the aerial images, I downloaded the bare minimum to cover the trail (the minimum size block to download is about 1 square mile). Then I cut the images to include only zoom levels 13,14, and 15. These are the zoom levels I find useful when riding (the fewer zoom levels you include, the smaller the file size).
LongCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #57
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
I rode my XR600 on the TAT and can't think of a better bike to do it on. Electric start is just something else that can go wrong.
Thanks for the confidence Jeff, I just need to sort out problems with my XR before I go that far on it. The KTM was available, fit me well, and required less work to go than the XR. Since going is getting closer, I'm going orange this time! (oh, the KTM kicks AND has the button!)

When I get my kit dialled in and the XR's suspension sorted, I hope to find time to do the TAT again on it.

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #58
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,037
I'm planning on doing the TAT with a friend starting late June or early July. I'll be riding a WR250R/X and hope to ride back also. I may just ship the X wheels out west so I can swap them out for the ride back.

My riding buddy will probably be riding a DRZ400 and leaving the bike out west.

Since it seems that most of the trail in Tennessee has been paved I'm thinking of working up my own route from DC to western TN. It's been my experience that if I just plot the curviest route possible in Google Maps I'll end up riding a lot of dirt roads which should get us in the spirit for when the dirt starts after Tennessee.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #59
DirtyDR650 OP
Mud Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughtwg
Since it seems that most of the trail in Tennessee has been paved I'm thinking of working up my own route from DC to western TN. It's been my experience that if I just plot the curviest route possible in Google Maps I'll end up riding a lot of dirt roads which should get us in the spirit for when the dirt starts after Tennessee.
That was our original thinking too... maybe skip most of TN and just start in MS. Then I emailed Sam about the TN stretch, and we decided to go ahead and start at Jellico after receiving his reply:

"Tennessee does have a lot of pavement so you could skip that
section, but is is still an adventure... remember you will be in the
'outback' and it is a nice place just to be on your motorcycle."

Makes sense to me! Plus, the easy riding will be a good start to iron out any bugs and get into the rythm of riding with a partner. It IS called 'dual'sport riding for a reason... I'm sure there's a lot of nice countryside whether the backroads are paved or not.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #60
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

About 8 miles out of Jellico you will hit some great gravel roads. Middle TN is mostly all paved then you get into more gravel and the super slick creek crossings in west TN. It's worth the ride!