Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #61
DirtyDR650 OP
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
About 8 miles out of Jellico you will hit some great gravel roads. Middle TN is mostly all paved then you get into more gravel and the super slick creek crossings in west TN. It's worth the ride!
That's ok, gravel roads can be a lot of fun. They go through a lot of backwoods, out of the way places that most people normally don't get to see.

I can put up with a little pavement, the DR650 does pretty well on the highway. Can't speak for my buddy's DRz400 tho, it'll be an interesting match up. I imagine he'll be buzzed out on the highway, but making up for it in the rougher stuff.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #62
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
That's ok, gravel roads can be a lot of fun. They go through a lot of backwoods, out of the way places that most people normally don't get to see.

I can put up with a little pavement, the DR650 does pretty well on the highway. Can't speak for my buddy's DRz400 tho, it'll be an interesting match up. I imagine he'll be buzzed out on the highway, but making up for it in the rougher stuff.
Have him install a 1 tooth larger front sprocket for the eastern TAT, low gearing is not needed untill you get to CO.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #63
kamakaziozzy
3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Thumb Do n the TAT

I'm doing the eastern TAT sometime in 2010! Hope to do the rest a month or so later. I have a XR650L. Thinking about getting a Wee Strom? Gonna camp, can't wait to set the dates.
Later
Ty
kamakaziozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #64
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstoll
I am in the middle of the country also (Iowa). I have ridden the TAT from Jellico to Moab in two hitches on my DR650. The ride report is is linked below. I bought an old church van that I am going to take the seats out of and haul myself and a couple others to Oregon to ride that section backwards to Moab this year. I am going to sell the van once I get to Oregon. Is there anyone interested in riding the TAT to Oregon and buying the van to go home?
How much you selling the van for?

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #65
edstoll
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm
How much you selling the van for?
I will take whatever I can get. If nobody wants it it is going to the scrap yard. I have $500 invested in it. I only mentioned it here to help fellow TAT riders.

edstoll screwed with this post 01-27-2010 at 05:42 AM
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #66
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstoll
I will take whatever I can get. If nobody wants it it is going to the scrap yard. I have $500 invested in it.
Hmmm...that sounds like an interesting plan? Will it make it back to GA with my 690 in it?

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #67
edstoll
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm
Hmmm...that sounds like an interesting plan? Will it make it back to GA with my 690 in it?
I don't know. Runs fine right now. PM me if you want to discuss further.
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #68
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaziozzy
I'm doing the eastern TAT sometime in 2010! Hope to do the rest a month or so later. I have a XR650L. Thinking about getting a Wee Strom? Gonna camp, can't wait to set the dates.
Later
Ty

Wee Strom will be difficult unless #1 it doesn't rain and #2 you take the big bike bypasses. It's still going to be very difficult especially in the sand. The XRL would be a much better choice! IMHO
Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #69
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Have him install a 1 tooth larger front sprocket for the eastern TAT, low gearing is not needed untill you get to CO.
Hi Jeff.....

I am a total noop about the TAT and DRZ400s....I am a 1200GS rider.
Just got me a 2007 DRZ400s. Have done all the mods. Now you mentioned to go one tooth larger for the eastern TAT. How can I identify what I currently have?

Thanks...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #70
sonicapollo
Adventure Addict

Oddometer: 175
Tn - Ok

Going to ride from the start to the middle of Oklahoma (I-35). Then I'll take I-35 down to see a friend. It depends on my class date with the FAA. (Controller). If it works out, I'm looking to go sometime in April.
sonicapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #71
kamakaziozzy
3rd Wheel Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Wee Strom will be difficult unless #1 it doesn't rain and #2 you take the big bike bypasses. It's still going to be very difficult especially in the sand. The XRL would be a much better choice! IMHO

I kinda figured I'd take the XR. Didn't know how rough the eastern section would be. Thanks for the input.
Later
Ty
kamakaziozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #72
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakaziozzy
I kinda figured I'd take the XR. Didn't know how rough the eastern section would be. Thanks for the input.
Later
Ty
The wee will be ok till about Tulsa if your comfortable riding it in the deep gravel of MS and AR. You also have the War Loop rd in AR that could be a bit difficult on the wee because of the mud holes and ledges. West of Tulsa would be ok if it hasn't rained and you have aggressive tires for the sand/dirt sections.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #73
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Hi Jeff.....

I am a total noop about the TAT and DRZ400s....I am a 1200GS rider.
Just got me a 2007 DRZ400s. Have done all the mods. Now you mentioned to go one tooth larger for the eastern TAT. How can I identify what I currently have?

Thanks...
The gearing on the S will be fine, it's the E that should be geared up for the TAT.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #74
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
MS/AR in the rain

Last year when I went through that area - 1st week of August - it had been raining heavily.

MS was not a problem at all.

SE AR was a problem.... while still down in the river delta - the first 60 miles or so - fields and roads were flooded. At times water was flowing over the road 6" deep from the field on one side to the field on the other side.

The water was generally muddy and you couldn't see bottom.... not a problem when the gravel roadway was solid, but a big problem if it was not and there was no way to tell the difference. The roads that were gravel were generally OK, the dirt roads got sticky and slippery.

Went down for the first time of my trip when I discovered a pickup had gone through a dirt road ahead of me and left ruts under the water.... climaxed by a deep hole when they got stuck and broke through the road bed. Fell over at 5mph and ended up sitting in the water!

Talked to a local farmer in this area and he said by his measurements they were 20" above normal rainfall for July/August.

The Ozarks we fine when I got up there.

I've done it twice - '07 in pieces, '09 as part of a longer trip - on a '93 XR650L..... good middle ground bike.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #75
crash_test
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
moving

im moving to az and my funding got cut short. so i am going to ride the xr there leaving the 1st of may going to take the TAT as far as the other trail that cuts through in CO i believe then head south. then cut over to flagstaff. somehow. might be a good trip with a $500.00 budget. those are my plans there still in the air.
crash_test is offline   Reply With Quote