Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #91
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42
Jeff,

After walking to the middle of that stream and slipping three times my partner and I skipped this crossing. Yeah, we are wimps but we are old wimps and did not want to try to pick up a DL650 on that slippery rock stream bed.
That's the smart man's move!
TAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #92
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc104

Well played, Sir!
LMAO!!!
TAT and TWVT survivor
Old 01-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #93
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
I wanted to do it at a fast pace... screw the gear and go... sleep in cheap motels and ride... I would want to do Oklahoma Pan handle then west. Don't really care about the rest.

Maybe spend a few days in Moab.. didn't get to see much there last time.

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #94
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphorde
I wanted to do it at a fast pace... screw the gear and go... sleep in cheap motels and ride... I would want to do Oklahoma Pan handle then west. Don't really care about the rest.

Maybe spend a few days in Moab.. didn't get to see much there last time.

Arkansas isn't bad, Okla can be boring unless you like blitz krieg speed

Take 2-3 days in Moab, there is way too much good riding to do in just a day or two. The White Rim Trail is fantastic, it's about 180 miles more or less. Top of the World will give you a new appreciation for heights and maybe a flat spot or two on your rims. Onion Creek, Poision Spider, La Sal Mountain there are just too many to mention but without a doubt some of the best riding there is.

From there west the riding just keeps getting better and then you have to figure out how to get home...bummer

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #95
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,594
NC to TN to OK

I'm doing the eastern part from TN through Ozark and through entire OK.

SOLO, DL1000, heavy, fully loaded with camping and food and everything...

Time: still deciding. Considering, last 2 weeks of April, last two weeks of June or last two weeks of August.

Will install TKC80's for the trip.

Bike will look something like this

BTW, does anybody know good camping places along the eastern TAT with WiFi? I'd prefer to do daily online updates here, my blog and couple other sites.

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/

Voluhzia screwed with this post 02-06-2010 at 09:45 AM
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #96
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia
I'm doing the eastern part from TN through Ozark and through entire OK.

SOLO, DL1000, heavy, fully loaded with camping and food and everything...

Time: still deciding. Considering, last 2 weeks of April, last two weeks of June or last two weeks of August.

Will install TKC80's for the trip.

Bike will look something like this

WOW....be very careful in the sand sections and especially if it rains on OK! MUD CITY!!!
TAT and TWVT survivor
Old 02-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #97
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Yeah....WOW....You'll have a handful managing this "heavy" set up. Been told to go ultra light which I am "trying" to do! Always been a "heavy" BMW-GS rider but not on the TAT. It's not necessarily always the bike assuming you're an expert on dirt but the way it is overloaded....Be careful, take your time...to ease handling a bit get the most aggressive knobbies you can fit on your bike and divert routes that might be difficult. Dress ATGATT!! I want you to do the TAT and tell us what it is like making an assault with an SUV like bike set-up.

I've done plenty of research on the TAT.... although never done the TAT yet and will this summer on a DRZ400s. Hope to see you there somewhere..
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #98
BikerBill
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 74
I am planning to ride the TAT from Jellico TN to OK this summer. Hope to have enough time ride past OK a bit before having to hit the highway and head east towards home. I have been bike shopping and have narrowed it down to the BMW R1200GSA, or KTM 990 Adventure. Both bikes weigh about the same. The KTM is a bit cheaper and might be better on bad roads, but I think the Beemer offers a bit more protection for the rider from the elements on the highway. I looked at the KLR650 pretty hard. Nice bike, but I plan to ride to Alaska in 2011 and I don't think the KLR is my choice for that one. I plan to camp but will go with the least amount of gear I possilbly can. I want to keep all the gear in the paniers if possible to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Looking at Jesse bags and Touratech.

Jeff, is that the slippery water crossing you warned me about earlier? It does look like a bad one in the photo. Another concern for me is how far west will I be able to ride before having to turn around and head east? I have about 17 days total to get it done. I hope to go in June, but I still have some time to change the schedule and could go in July. Is July drier than June? What tires? Fully knobbies, or can I use an enduro tire since I plan to ride the highway back home
BikerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #99
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBill
I am planning to ride the TAT from Jellico TN to OK this summer. Hope to have enough time ride past OK a bit before having to hit the highway and head east towards home. I have been bike shopping and have narrowed it down to the BMW R1200GSA, or KTM 990 Adventure. Both bikes weigh about the same. The KTM is a bit cheaper and might be better on bad roads, but I think the Beemer offers a bit more protection for the rider from the elements on the highway. I looked at the KLR650 pretty hard. Nice bike, but I plan to ride to Alaska in 2011 and I don't think the KLR is my choice for that one. I plan to camp but will go with the least amount of gear I possilbly can. I want to keep all the gear in the paniers if possible to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Looking at Jesse bags and Touratech.

Jeff, is that the slippery water crossing you warned me about earlier? It does look like a bad one in the photo. Another concern for me is how far west will I be able to ride before having to turn around and head east? I have about 17 days total to get it done. I hope to go in June, but I still have some time to change the schedule and could go in July. Is July drier than June? What tires? Fully knobbies, or can I use an enduro tire since I plan to ride the highway back home

Yep, that's the one. Acutally it's one of three slick crossings in TN but that one is the worst. Do yourself a favor and walk it first to find the best line. It is slicker than ice!
Honestly 17 days will not be enough to make it to OR if you stay on the TAT. It took me 6 days to do OK, NM and CO. I'm an A class offroad racer, was riding a light weight dirt bike and I was flying! I thought I was doing good when it only took me a day and half to cross the 750 mile OK section, my moving average was 65mph. This changed once I hit CO. Your lucky to get 250 miles a day there. The farther west you go the lower your speed averages will be.
I live in Crestwood, if you ever want to meet up, I'll give you all kinds of information and tips that may help.
TAT and TWVT survivor
Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #100
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Trans America Trail

Hello from New Zealand.
A group of us Kiwi's have developed a plan to ride the TAT this year, starting mid August, and hope to be in Oregon at the end of September.

So far, we are a group of 6 riders, with 1 or 2 more still "on the fence". We will be riding KLR650's and Yamaha Tenere's. We are all in our 50's or "plus".
Some plan to mix camping with motels, others (like me) don't do tents.

We are shipping our bikes in a container (up to 9) directly from NZ to L.A with road tyres fitted, and will ride to Jellicoe (or Knoxville) Tennessee. We believe this will take 4 full days riding.

We plan to change tyres before starting the ride proper. Tyres are a personal choice, but from what I have read and seen on Utube, a knobbly front and an aggressive trail (DOT) rear looks like being my set up.

We have the TAT route sheets and can see it is a BIG ride, with heat, cold, desert and altitude to contend with, along with some "interesting" riding terrain. We are not taking the challenge lightly - just one day at a time.

Our speedo's are calibrated in kilometers for NZ (except perhaps the Tenere's which are digital) and the route sheets are in miles, so a GPS or speedo switch may be required.

Our group has done a bit of riding togeather, Santiago - Argentina - Bolivia - Peru - return in 2008 and Santiago - Ushuaia - return in 2009.
We believe the comeraderie amongst riders on the trail is one of the highlights, and we look forward to swapping stories with one and all - just don't roost us on the way by!

Comments and suggestions on the above welcome and solicited.
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:13 AM   #101
edstoll
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 272
We plan to change tyres before starting the ride proper. Tyres are a personal choice, but from what I have read and seen on Utube, a knobbly front and an aggressive trail (DOT) rear looks like being my set up.

That time of year hopefully it will be dry and you can leave the street tires on until Oklahoma.

Our speedo's are calibrated in kilometers for NZ (except perhaps the Tenere's which are digital) and the route sheets are in miles, so a GPS or speedo switch may be required.

Use a GPS. It works much better. I will be riding the western portion "backwards" about then also. I hope to see you out there.
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #102
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica
Hello from New Zealand.
A group of us Kiwi's have developed a plan to ride the TAT this year, starting mid August, and hope to be in Oregon at the end of September.

So far, we are a group of 6 riders, with 1 or 2 more still "on the fence". We will be riding KLR650's and Yamaha Tenere's. We are all in our 50's or "plus".
Some plan to mix camping with motels, others (like me) don't do tents.

We are shipping our bikes in a container (up to 9) directly from NZ to L.A with road tyres fitted, and will ride to Jellicoe (or Knoxville) Tennessee. We believe this will take 4 full days riding.

We have the TAT route sheets and can see it is a BIG ride, with heat, cold, desert and altitude to contend with, along with some "interesting" riding terrain. We are not taking the challenge lightly - just one day at a time.

Our group has done a bit of riding togeather, Santiago - Argentina - Bolivia - Peru - return in 2008 and Santiago - Ushuaia - return in 2009.
We believe the comeraderie amongst riders on the trail is one of the highlights, and we look forward to swapping stories with one and all - just don't roost us on the way by!

Comments and suggestions on the above welcome and solicited.

Bring a couple more of the Tenere's with you. We can't get them in the states Your going to love the TAT. It offers some fantastic views. If you can swing an extra day or two make a loop on the White Rim and the Top of the World trails in Moab Utah, great riding. I look forward to your ride report. I would like to ride NZ, any pictures of what it's like?.

If you like, submit a ride report/article with pictures to www.advridermag.com, they would love to hear your take on the TAT from a Kiwi perspective. I live in Oklahoma, maybe I'll see you on the trail.

12 Super Tenere

gmsnowball screwed with this post 02-07-2010 at 07:16 AM
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #103
DirtyDR650 OP
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Yep, that's the one. Acutally it's one of three slick crossings in TN but that one is the worst. Do yourself a favor and walk it first to find the best line. It is slicker than ice!
Jeff, can you give the locations on those three 'slick' crossings? Especially that "worst" one? Might save us some pain...
Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #104
BikerBill
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 74
Jeff,

Yep, I'd like to meet with you in the near future to discuss TAT planning. I live near Bagdad KY so we're not too far from each other at all. I plan to buy Sam's charts and maps to use in addition to GPS. I didn't think I could ride the whole TAT in 17 days, but I hope to make OK before turning east and hitting the interstate towards home. Its been a few years since I have done any water crossings that remotely resemble the one in the photo. Back in 1976 I once rode from Montreal Canada towards Niagra Falls and had to ride 200 miles of gravel road. Before I knew it I was doing 70 mph trying to beat the rain while riding an old Electra Glide. Never heard of "dual-sport" back then. The 'Glide was all I had so thats what I rode. I was a lot younger then and while I am still pretty fit for a 60 yr old I don't plan to set any records riding the TAT. If after walking a water crossing I still have serious doubt I will just detour around it. Slippery rocks are not my best friend. If you think it might be drier later in the summer I might push the date back until late July, early August.

Bill
BikerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #105
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR650
Jeff, can you give the locations on those three 'slick' crossings? Especially that "worst" one? Might save us some pain...
Here is the real bad one N35 12.254 W87 45.185
TAT and TWVT survivor