Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Ricky Rocket OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Pissed XR650L CDI...dead, or dying? Help!

My 2001 XR650L has a strange intermittent spark. When trying to start it, it fires once but won't run. Backfires like a freakin' cannon through the exhaust when it does fire. I pulled the plug and layed it against the cylinder head. When cranking the engine, the plug fires once when the start switch is engaged and does not spark while the engine spins over. When I let off the starter button, the plug fires once more. I swapped numerous plugs, no change. Unplugged CDI harness and checked connectors...clean and dry. Checked safety switches and kill switch, no problems there. Is this symtomatic of a bad CDI? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....thanks!
Ricky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
The first thing to want to do is unplug the pulse generator and check that, if that checks out than your cdi is the culprit.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,255
I just went through the same thing on a 650L. It would work and then it would quit. I was the ICM (cdi box). I would also check your pulse gen.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
BMW 1150GS It's like ridding a Barkalounger
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
Ricky Rocket OP
Adventurer

Did the ohm-check on the ignition/kill switch, coil, plug wire, and pulse generator....all within spec (some a little off, but it's 31 degrees F outside and my meter is about 10 years old). I just ordered a CDI from Honda; no dealer in the area stocks one and the cheapest I could get was $148 tax included. I sure hope this does the trick!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
where did you order that from ? I think you can get them for less than 100 from cheapcycleparts.com
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,212
Cdi

Cheap cycle parts

30410-MN9-000 MODULE, IGN CONT $110.54 $

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Ricky Rocket OP
Adventurer

I had my Honda dealer order it, cheapcycle wants $110.54 and another $9.70 for 7-10 day shipping. If you want it in 4-5 days, shipping goes up to $25.00. I figured I'd give my local dealer some business (they are pretty good to me) and they'll get it to me by this Friday for $140 out the door. I really want to go riding this weekend w/my buds...
Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,255
It sounds like you did the leg work and the ICM is the culprit. I also aprove of you trying to support your local shop.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
BMW 1150GS It's like ridding a Barkalounger
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655
I had to replace the CDI in my XRL too. It worked fine if it was over 65 degrees or so out, but if it was cooler the bike wouldn't start. With the new CDI it starts without issue even if it's 5 degrees out.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
Ricky Rocket OP
Adventurer

Help...need someone to run a test

Hey, I followed the troubleshooting procedure in the Shop Maual and ended up ordering a new CDI unit from Honda. It didn't work! Can somebody with an XR650L run a test for me? I need to verify that when you spin the motor over with the starter the plug fires consistantly. Mine is firing once when I initially hit the starter button....and again when I let OFF the starter button. When it spins over in between.....no sparking. Put in brand new plug (tried three others), NEW CDI, checked ohms on coil and Pulse Generator (all within spec). I could really use some good input here!! My next step is a new Pulse Generator, but I'd rather know for sure before sinking more money on this fishing expedition.

Ricky Rocket screwed with this post 12-18-2009 at 05:29 PM
Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rocket
Hey, I followed the troubleshooting procedure in the Shop Maual and ended up ordering a new CDI unit from Honda. It didn't work! Can somebody with an XR650L run a test for me? I need to verify that when you spin the motor over with the starter the plug fires consistantly. Mine is firing once when I initially hit the starter button....and again when I let OFF the starter button. When it spins over in between.....no sparking. Put in brand new plug (tried three others), NEW CDI, checked ohms on coil and Pulse Generator (all within spec). I could really use some good input here!! My next step is a new Pulse Generator, but I'd rather know for sure before sinking more money on this fishing expedition.
It sparks when you hit the starter button and again when you release the starter button. Sounds like the problem is in the starter button. Or your key switch.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rocket
Make sure your sidestand switch is clean, or Bypass it. Do the same for the kill switch and clutch switch.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
showtime45
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Mine sparks all the time. I thought I had a bad CDI & it turned out to be the pulse generator.
showtime45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
Ricky Rocket OP
Adventurer

Showtime, did you actually try it? I want to know that if I can troubleshoot, I'll look to get to the point it sparks continuously. Was yours in neutral with the clutch out and sidestand down? I tried it mine in neutral, clutch lever left alone, and sidestand down. Sparks when hitting the start button...no spark when turning over, and sometimes spark when releasing start button.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
Ricky Rocket OP
Adventurer

OK, I finally got it to spark...it will only spark when the bike is in neutral and the kickstand is up. Anybody know which switch to look for as being at fault? It must be a ground switch...either clutch lever, neutral, or side stand.