User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,301
Now this is how you plan a road trip!
Anyone who takes pictures of the food they get on the road truly understands what it means to " ride to eat".
I got food posioning last summer at a restraunt in Tamworth. Not a nice thing on a motorcycle road trip. I'm quite sure it wasn't the bakery, but I don't recall the name. Arden rd. going north out of tamworth from the 4-way stop is paved now too. One of my fave roads. Gets really narrow as you go north. Make sure you stay on your own side of the road.
Also, in Sterling there's a pizza place at the weird 4-way intersection ( Jimmy's? or Johnny's maybe). Order the baked spagetti. Yes I said baked.
The Ultramar station in Campbellford carries these unbeleivable butter tarts made by a small local bakery. Basically liquified sugar in flaky pastry. Breakfast of champions.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #17
Natnewt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Memphis BBQ in woodbridge... best ribs and wings a fella can get bar none.
2006 XR650L heavily farklefied Tendering in the garage.
2012 F800GS Triple Black Let the mods begin.
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 544
Thumb Arden Rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie
Now this is how you plan a road trip!
Anyone who takes pictures of the food they get on the road truly understands what it means to " ride to eat".
I got food posioning last summer at a restraunt in Tamworth. Not a nice thing on a motorcycle road trip. I'm quite sure it wasn't the bakery, but I don't recall the name. Arden rd. going north out of tamworth from the 4-way stop is paved now too. One of my fave roads. Gets really narrow as you go north. Make sure you stay on your own side of the road.
Also, in Sterling there's a pizza place at the weird 4-way intersection ( Jimmy's? or Johnny's maybe). Order the baked spagetti. Yes I said baked.
The Ultramar station in Campbellford carries these unbeleivable butter tarts made by a small local bakery. Basically liquified sugar in flaky pastry. Breakfast of champions.

Yeah! Arden Rd! During our, Sob!, last visit to the bakery, I asked if Arden had been paved all the way up. The answer was affirmative so we took it to 7 and then into Perth. Actually freshley chip sealed so as it got tighter it also became more interesting. Bit of slipping and sliding here and there. Put a big goofy grin on my face but the Princess wasn't pleased! First time I rode it was on a KTM 640 during a DS ride and of course it was still dirt/gravel. Big thumper in 4th steering with the throttle in the twisty bits...Heaven! Nice part of the country for sure.

Will keep an eye open for the Pizza joint next time we are through there! Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers S

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 777
SteveBr. My apologies. Marlbank is not Millbank.
IMHO the Bakery in Tamworth was the only place to eat at.The road from Tamworth to Parham is a hoot to ride as well.
The pizzeria in Stirling is called Jimmy's.Check out the gumball machine deal.
Napanee Fish and Chips is worth a look.It's on 41 just north of the 401.
The Doctor's House in Sharbot Lake (Hwy#38) has good breakfasts.
The Springbrook Bowling Alley and Restaurant on 14 north of Stirling. They used to have good burgers and fries. Eat and bowl at the same time,what a concept.
The Gateway in Tweed is one of our regular breakfast destinations.Hwy 41 north to Marlbank Road, west to Tweed makes for an interesting ride.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Question Weight Watchers

Thanks Woodgrain...All duly noted and bookmarked. We will tick these off with any luck next year...Funny, we were invited to Tweed for New Years but will spend the evening closer to home. I can guarantee though that we will try the Brekkie.

Cheers...S

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #21
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

That Tweed invite didn't happen to be at the home of the winner of the '86 Iron Butt did it? If so, we've been invited as well.Small world...

Woodgrain
Old 12-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #22
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Tiny Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain
That Tweed invite didn't happen to be at the home of the winner of the '86 Iron Butt did it? If so, we've been invited as well.Small world...

Woodgrain

Yes indeed, a small world that seems to get smaller as we age! Unfortunately we have a previous commitment as we would like to have attended...Another time perhaps...Enjoy and wish everyone present a Superior 2010 on and off the Moto.

Cheers...Steve

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650

SteverinoB screwed with this post 12-29-2009 at 12:03 AM
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #23
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,640
Antonio's at the Shell (?) gas station in South River (Highway 11, south of North Bay) has one of the best panzerotti I've never had.

Swiss Country Inn on Highway 124 in Magnetewan has very good, authentic Swiss/German food and is nearby some great riding.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #24
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,301
There used to be a restaraunt on Hwy 7 at Silver lake. The Silver lake Restaraunt, oddly enough. They had unbeleivable home-made pies. Someone told me they are no longer in business. Anyone know if that's true?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #25
Cellar Rat
Not Done, Yet!

Oddometer: 27
Maberly / McDonald Cors (Ottawa Valley eh)

The Silver Lake Restaurant is long gone, but just east Hwy 7 at the Maberly / Elphin Road is a new establishment which has won several awards for great food. It's well placed to access some twisty roads. They DID have great pies, but the last time we were there we were told the pie - maker had broken a hip or some like horror, and they **had no pie**. Despite that loss, it is a good ride - to - eat destination.

Not far away, on the edge of McDonald Corners, is the Sylvania Restaurant. Always a good feed and happily very good pie. Again, well - located for twisties or dual - sport riding too. (Recommended: Bathurst Line, and Mitchell Road. But get someone else to test how deep the water is at the creek crossing.)
Cellar Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #26
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Rat
The Silver Lake Restaurant is long gone, but just east Hwy 7 at the Maberly / Elphin Road is a new establishment which has won several awards for great food. It's well placed to access some twisty roads. They DID have great pies, but the last time we were there we were told the pie - maker had broken a hip or some like horror, and they **had no pie**. Despite that loss, it is a good ride - to - eat destination.

Not far away, on the edge of McDonald Corners, is the Sylvania Restaurant. Always a good feed and happily very good pie. Again, well - located for twisties or dual - sport riding too. (Recommended: Bathurst Line, and Mitchell Road. But get someone else to test how deep the water is at the creek crossing.)
Don't forget Wheeler's Pancake house in McDonald's Corners.It has a very cool chainsaw museum.

Woodgrain
Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #27
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc
Nooooo!!! The Tamworth bakery was the best thing going anywhere near Kingston/Napanee.

That is very, very sad. I hope someone ponies up and keeps that place in business.

Hmm...maybe I should? Those reubens are the best I've EVER had.

dc
Dr. D, you can have the Tamworth bakery for the princely sum of 159 large.

Woodgrain
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #28
jeaggerfairy
lost in transit

Oddometer: 87
Thumb Breakfast

Flapjacks on highway 10 north of Brampton, Get there early or be prepared to wait in the parking lot till your name is called. Awsome food, great selection, fantastic staff. Large portions will leave you stuffed. I'm making myself hungry just typing this. lol.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #29
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaggerfairy
Flapjacks on highway 10 north of Brampton, Get there early or be prepared to wait in the parking lot till your name is called. Awsome food, great selection, fantastic staff. Large portions will leave you stuffed. I'm making myself hungry just typing this. lol.

I haven't been there for breakfast since the late eighties. It was fantastic back then. Have you been recently?

Great username, btw.

The West Town on Locke St. is the finest breakfast joint in Hamilton. Good place to meet before the start of a ride.

Saigon Asian in Westdale (Hamilton) is my favourite Vietnamese joint in the area. Excellent food (with no added MSG) great service and low prices.

Cedars on Main West (across the street form McMaster hospital) is my favourite Lebanese joint in the city. Beef shwarma and sheeshtawook that can't be beat. Friendly staff, good prices and great service.

For Thai in Hamilton you've got to try Thai Memory on King William. The bar-b-que duck red curry is out of this world. Mango salad's a favourite, too.

Oh man, I'm droolin' on my keyboard.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #30
jeaggerfairy
lost in transit

Oddometer: 87
Thumb Lunch

Duncans Cafe in Collingwood is a fantastic lunch destination. LARGE plate of food. Probably the best turkey club sandwich i've had in years. My riding compadre's had the shaved roast beef and it will be on my list for future visits. Quick service, verry reasonable pricing. Mouth watering desserts as well!