ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR
 
McJamie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,301
Now this is how you plan a road trip!
Anyone who takes pictures of the food they get on the road truly understands what it means to " ride to eat".
I got food posioning last summer at a restraunt in Tamworth. Not a nice thing on a motorcycle road trip. I'm quite sure it wasn't the bakery, but I don't recall the name. Arden rd. going north out of tamworth from the 4-way stop is paved now too. One of my fave roads. Gets really narrow as you go north. Make sure you stay on your own side of the road.
Also, in Sterling there's a pizza place at the weird 4-way intersection ( Jimmy's? or Johnny's maybe). Order the baked spagetti. Yes I said baked.
The Ultramar station in Campbellford carries these unbeleivable butter tarts made by a small local bakery. Basically liquified sugar in flaky pastry. Breakfast of champions.
__________________
If you get far enough away, you'll be on your way home.
Piss off, I'm in my Happy place.
McJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #17
Natnewt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Natnewt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto Ontario
Oddometer: 485
Memphis BBQ in woodbridge... best ribs and wings a fella can get bar none.
__________________
1980 XR80s Deceased, first ever teardown.
1987 XL185s Deceased, at the bottom of the ocean.
1985 750 Interceptor Sold still alive somewhere.
2006 XR650L heavily farklefied Tendering in the garage.
2012 F800GS Triple Black Let the mods begin.
Natnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB
 
SteverinoB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Orangeville Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 544
Thumb Arden Rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie
Now this is how you plan a road trip!
Anyone who takes pictures of the food they get on the road truly understands what it means to " ride to eat".
I got food posioning last summer at a restraunt in Tamworth. Not a nice thing on a motorcycle road trip. I'm quite sure it wasn't the bakery, but I don't recall the name. Arden rd. going north out of tamworth from the 4-way stop is paved now too. One of my fave roads. Gets really narrow as you go north. Make sure you stay on your own side of the road.
Also, in Sterling there's a pizza place at the weird 4-way intersection ( Jimmy's? or Johnny's maybe). Order the baked spagetti. Yes I said baked.
The Ultramar station in Campbellford carries these unbeleivable butter tarts made by a small local bakery. Basically liquified sugar in flaky pastry. Breakfast of champions.

Yeah! Arden Rd! During our, Sob!, last visit to the bakery, I asked if Arden had been paved all the way up. The answer was affirmative so we took it to 7 and then into Perth. Actually freshley chip sealed so as it got tighter it also became more interesting. Bit of slipping and sliding here and there. Put a big goofy grin on my face but the Princess wasn't pleased! First time I rode it was on a KTM 640 during a DS ride and of course it was still dirt/gravel. Big thumper in 4th steering with the throttle in the twisty bits...Heaven! Nice part of the country for sure.

Will keep an eye open for the Pizza joint next time we are through there! Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers S
__________________
Any day on the bike is a GOOD day!

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant
 
woodgrain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: east of Scarbaria
Oddometer: 777
SteveBr. My apologies. Marlbank is not Millbank.
IMHO the Bakery in Tamworth was the only place to eat at.The road from Tamworth to Parham is a hoot to ride as well.
The pizzeria in Stirling is called Jimmy's.Check out the gumball machine deal.
Napanee Fish and Chips is worth a look.It's on 41 just north of the 401.
The Doctor's House in Sharbot Lake (Hwy#38) has good breakfasts.
The Springbrook Bowling Alley and Restaurant on 14 north of Stirling. They used to have good burgers and fries. Eat and bowl at the same time,what a concept.
The Gateway in Tweed is one of our regular breakfast destinations.Hwy 41 north to Marlbank Road, west to Tweed makes for an interesting ride.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB
 
SteverinoB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Orangeville Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 544
Question Weight Watchers

Thanks Woodgrain...All duly noted and bookmarked. We will tick these off with any luck next year...Funny, we were invited to Tweed for New Years but will spend the evening closer to home. I can guarantee though that we will try the Brekkie.

Cheers...S
__________________
Any day on the bike is a GOOD day!

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #21
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant
 
woodgrain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: east of Scarbaria
Oddometer: 777
That Tweed invite didn't happen to be at the home of the winner of the '86 Iron Butt did it? If so, we've been invited as well.Small world...

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #22
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB
 
SteverinoB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Orangeville Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 544
Tiny Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain
That Tweed invite didn't happen to be at the home of the winner of the '86 Iron Butt did it? If so, we've been invited as well.Small world...

Woodgrain

Yes indeed, a small world that seems to get smaller as we age! Unfortunately we have a previous commitment as we would like to have attended...Another time perhaps...Enjoy and wish everyone present a Superior 2010 on and off the Moto.

Cheers...Steve
__________________
Any day on the bike is a GOOD day!

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650

SteverinoB screwed with this post 12-29-2009 at 12:03 AM
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #23
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,640
Antonio's at the Shell (?) gas station in South River (Highway 11, south of North Bay) has one of the best panzerotti I've never had.

Swiss Country Inn on Highway 124 in Magnetewan has very good, authentic Swiss/German food and is nearby some great riding.
__________________
2001 F650GS Dakar
2008 DR-Z 400S
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #24
McJamie OP
STROMINATOR
 
McJamie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Courtice, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 1,301
There used to be a restaraunt on Hwy 7 at Silver lake. The Silver lake Restaraunt, oddly enough. They had unbeleivable home-made pies. Someone told me they are no longer in business. Anyone know if that's true?
__________________
If you get far enough away, you'll be on your way home.
Piss off, I'm in my Happy place.
McJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #25
Cellar Rat
Not Done, Yet!
 
Cellar Rat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: True North
Oddometer: 27
Maberly / McDonald Cors (Ottawa Valley eh)

The Silver Lake Restaurant is long gone, but just east Hwy 7 at the Maberly / Elphin Road is a new establishment which has won several awards for great food. It's well placed to access some twisty roads. They DID have great pies, but the last time we were there we were told the pie - maker had broken a hip or some like horror, and they **had no pie**. Despite that loss, it is a good ride - to - eat destination.

Not far away, on the edge of McDonald Corners, is the Sylvania Restaurant. Always a good feed and happily very good pie. Again, well - located for twisties or dual - sport riding too. (Recommended: Bathurst Line, and Mitchell Road. But get someone else to test how deep the water is at the creek crossing.)
Cellar Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #26
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant
 
woodgrain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: east of Scarbaria
Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellar Rat
The Silver Lake Restaurant is long gone, but just east Hwy 7 at the Maberly / Elphin Road is a new establishment which has won several awards for great food. It's well placed to access some twisty roads. They DID have great pies, but the last time we were there we were told the pie - maker had broken a hip or some like horror, and they **had no pie**. Despite that loss, it is a good ride - to - eat destination.

Not far away, on the edge of McDonald Corners, is the Sylvania Restaurant. Always a good feed and happily very good pie. Again, well - located for twisties or dual - sport riding too. (Recommended: Bathurst Line, and Mitchell Road. But get someone else to test how deep the water is at the creek crossing.)
Don't forget Wheeler's Pancake house in McDonald's Corners.It has a very cool chainsaw museum.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #27
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant
 
woodgrain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: east of Scarbaria
Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc
Nooooo!!! The Tamworth bakery was the best thing going anywhere near Kingston/Napanee.

That is very, very sad. I hope someone ponies up and keeps that place in business.

Hmm...maybe I should? Those reubens are the best I've EVER had.

dc
Dr. D, you can have the Tamworth bakery for the princely sum of 159 large.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #28
jeaggerfairy
lost in transit
 
jeaggerfairy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: burlington ont canada
Oddometer: 87
Thumb Breakfast

Flapjacks on highway 10 north of Brampton, Get there early or be prepared to wait in the parking lot till your name is called. Awsome food, great selection, fantastic staff. Large portions will leave you stuffed. I'm making myself hungry just typing this. lol.
__________________
I have been and always shall be your friend.
jeaggerfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #29
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaggerfairy
Flapjacks on highway 10 north of Brampton, Get there early or be prepared to wait in the parking lot till your name is called. Awsome food, great selection, fantastic staff. Large portions will leave you stuffed. I'm making myself hungry just typing this. lol.

I haven't been there for breakfast since the late eighties. It was fantastic back then. Have you been recently?

Great username, btw.

The West Town on Locke St. is the finest breakfast joint in Hamilton. Good place to meet before the start of a ride.

Saigon Asian in Westdale (Hamilton) is my favourite Vietnamese joint in the area. Excellent food (with no added MSG) great service and low prices.

Cedars on Main West (across the street form McMaster hospital) is my favourite Lebanese joint in the city. Beef shwarma and sheeshtawook that can't be beat. Friendly staff, good prices and great service.

For Thai in Hamilton you've got to try Thai Memory on King William. The bar-b-que duck red curry is out of this world. Mango salad's a favourite, too.

Oh man, I'm droolin' on my keyboard.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #30
jeaggerfairy
lost in transit
 
jeaggerfairy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: burlington ont canada
Oddometer: 87
Thumb Lunch

Duncans Cafe in Collingwood is a fantastic lunch destination. LARGE plate of food. Probably the best turkey club sandwich i've had in years. My riding compadre's had the shaved roast beef and it will be on my list for future visits. Quick service, verry reasonable pricing. Mouth watering desserts as well!
__________________
I have been and always shall be your friend.
jeaggerfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014