User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
twowheels OP
Leaving Children behind

Oddometer: 200
Project GSPD go again, an epic rebuild

Hmm..can't post picts yet, so this is going to be a literary adventure first.

On the way to Spokane, WA, rally this year I managed to leave the automatically-retracting sidestand down on my 1993 gspd. (The bike had a kit on it that over-rid the self-retracting feature). IF YOU HAVE ONE< KILL IT KILL IT! At 65 miles per hour, I took a gentle left hander, and felt something terribly wrong happening way, way too late. Suddenly, the bike would not lean to the left because the sidestand was down! I hit the deck going 60+. Ambulance ride, hospital, upset relatives, and lotsa stitches later--I'm getting back to normal.
Was I wearing gear? Shoei performed magnificently, 90.00 Joe Rocket Mesh jacket performed valiantly, 350.00 Aerostich Darien pants exploded at the zipper and failed completely.
For the first time in my 10 year riding career, I considered (albiet briefly) hanging up the saddle. It is not a fun feeling to wake up several nights in a row re-living an accident. And most mortifying, I seemed to have proven my relatives right, I drive a "death-machine." But bah, now, the project begins...

First, sell the extraneous material to fund the project: one KLX400r, some aerostich stuff, supermoto wheels, etc.

(did I have insurance you ask?--I had cancelled my full coverage insurance two weeks earlier to save about $140.00 per year and gone with liability insurance) Does someone out there not like me?

Second, buy a bike to commute on while the GS is under the knife: 2000 Suz sv650 with 273 miles on it --plus, my wife can ride it! (who buys a bike and rides it for 273 miles in four years???)

(gah, I can't upload picts???)--I'll follow this up with picts when the system is fixed.

The following were damaged beyond repair or destroyed altogether:

Left/right crashbar
Rear subframe
Roo Bar
my ego
Left valve cover
front and rear tires
front engine mount
evil sidestand of death
handlebars (actually, it would be useable as an ape-hanger on a Harley)
left controls
both side handguards
lights, blinkers, and stuff that doesn't cost much
Touratech boxes on both sides were smashed way beyond fixing, one was flat!
My digital camera (well, my wife's digital camera, but she took it with aplomb)
Jesse rear box
Rear rack

The following were injured, bur repairable:

Tank (it came off and slid about 40 feet)
The Seat bounced for a bit
My left knee, right knee, left elbow, right elbow, my sense of mortality
One expensive Garmin product that was "less than new" Emap 176c
Piaa Headlamps
right valve cover

No more posts until we can upload picts again.

Frame off to the powdercoater, after I located a new subframe.

Perks of being a high school teacher--auto tech class will have a "project" to paint (all the damaged bodywork). What's another word for free labor? Oh yeah, "teenager."

More to follow

twowheels screwed with this post 09-27-2004 at 03:11 PM Reason: picts
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 10:14 AM   #2
TEXASYETI
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,860
I had just picked up my PD from BMW motorrad in St. Louis and was working my way south when I ran into a similar problem with much less costly consequences. My bike has a Luftmeister (?) stand that does not retract and I was not used to that since all my previous GS's had the stock stand. I stopped at a gas station and took a right turn out of the lot, went accross the highway and went to take a left onto the interstate when the grinding noise began and the bike hit max lean angle. I had no idea what was happening but was able to straighten up without going off the road. I pulled onto the shoulder, looking at the front wheel and when I went to put the side stand down I realized it was already extended. Needless to say I felt like an idiot and moved on down the road. It did happen a few times after that but I unfortunately perfected a technique where I could stand the bike up quickly, pull in the stand, and then get back into the turn. Never have done this at more than 20 mph though......

Sorry to hear about the bike and you.
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:14 AM   #3
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Are you recovering okay? Sorry to hear about the banged up bike.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:49 AM   #4
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 22,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels
At 65 miles per hour, I took a gentle left hander, and felt something terribly wrong happening way, way too late. Suddenly, the bike would not lean to the left because the sidestand was down! I hit the deck going 60+.
What a feeling that must have been.

What made you put that feature on your bike?

Glad you are recovering and still going to ride

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,510
Valve Cover

Two Wheels:

I got a pair of functional valve covers from my 93 PD sitting on my toolbench. Both have nicks and shit but are functional. I replaced them with these cool heavy-duty ones that San Jose BMW sells. Will make you a killer deal on 1 or 2. They are black and the newer style.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:28 PM   #6
twowheels OP
Leaving Children behind

Oddometer: 200
Response to question

I didn't put the anti-retracting feature on the bike; it was that way when I bought it. Several times I'd scratched the stand when taking off from a start, and it has flipped back and retracted. It was just a bad outcome. I'm healing fine. Only one knee (the failed aerostich Darien knee) is still scabby and unhappy (10 weeks later).

Going to upload picts tonight. See the rebuild

AW
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote