User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
Question Ducati Reliability

I am interested in the new multistrada. I know it's not out, but they are using an 1198 motor with different cams right? I am curious as to ducatis' overall reliability as a brand. I have not heard anything bad about ducati so I am assuming that they are pretty reliable. I am mostly interested in the 1198 because that's the motor closest to the multistrada right? Or the streetfighter I guess is actually closer. I am also wondering how ducati does with first year bikes. Do they usaully go through with little quirks or am I better off just waiting a few years? Again I have not heard much but know of and have seen big problems occur with first year bikes. how has the streetfighter done? Thanks for any info
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,585
I've had a fair amount of Ducati experience, worked as a mechanic for a dealer for a while. I left before the 1098 turned into the 1198 but I have friends who are in the business. I have been very impressed with the durability of all the Ducati models. The electronics have been reliable too. They have had issues over the years like the soft valve guides on the 1000 Multistrada but they were very good about repairing bikes with the issue even if the warranty had been expired for at least a year.

The shop I worked for does a lot of racing. If you race, you will most likely crash at some point. There were a few bikes that had been piled at high speeds on the track. They looked like crap but still worked well.

The 1200 Multi has milder cams than the 1198 hot rods so it should be under less stress. I would expect it to be very reliable. All the fancy electronic doodads the bike has would be where I would expect the issues because that is sort of new. Ducati though had the can bus on bikes several years before BMW and their current electronics are quite reliable so I don't expect any show stoppers, just some of the issues that show up that factory testing doesn't expose.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
You requested this thread be moved to Beasts.. and your wish has been granted.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:45 AM   #4
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
Thanks

Thanks
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,490
...In which forum the Multi belongs will probably be the only topic discussed in this thread from now on....
Old 12-16-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,490
Anyway....
I only owned a used Duc for a short time (4 months, if that), and I had one issue with the tachometer failing once, fixed immediately and free under the warranty from the Honda shop where I bought it.

Mine was a 2006 2V, so while I didn't have any reliabilty issues with the engine, maintenance costs can be pretty high, as it was due for new belts and a valve adjustment at only 7,000 miles.
(I sold it just after 6,000 miles).
Old 12-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
I haven't heard of too many reliability issues with Ducatis, but bear in mind the fact that maintenance is expensive, especially on the liquid-cooled models. It's also much more frequent than on most competing bikes (example: valve adjustments every 7k miles versus every 14,500 miles on a V-Strom).

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,746
I have owned a 1997 748, a 1996 M900 and a 2008 S2R 1000. On the FI bikes, I've never had an issue with any reliability. maintenance was all by the book, no surprises, nothing notable except a failed OEM voltage regulator on the 748 (which was the Achilles heel of that era). I would imagine that based on my experience with my S2R, the Multistrada ought to be pretty bulletproof. As Anorak says, it's a detuned engine, so it ought to equate to reliability and longevity if you keep current on maintenance.

The M900, well that's almost irrelevant. It's just an old carby, and cold blooded at that. But, aside from needing a bigger battery and upgrading the starter wire, it's fairly reliable as well.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
mbgta1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I have owned a ducati 4v for 9 years now and I have had great luck with it. I was also nervous about all of the maintence issues I had heard about but it has been bullet proof. I have over 20000 miles on my 996 now and I would leave out on it to anywhere.
mbgta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Moto Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Ducati reliability over the last 10 years have improved greatly, partly due to Texas Pacific Group's buy-in. They were able to invest in better tooling and equipment at the factory and get right with their parts suppliers so these days I wouldn't have a problem with a new Ducati as far as reliability goes.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
The basic reliability should be good but the quirks can be challenging.

The success of the new Multi 1200 will turn largely on how effectively Ducati has sorted the quirks, IMO.

Early indications are, they've done a great job.

My personal recent experience? 2007 S4Rs (Testastretta 998 motor) after 27,000 km uses no oil between 12,000 km services.

(But I keep checking ...)

Three valves adjusted at 12K, none at 24K. Word is the Multi 12 will have extended valve check intervals.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
My Thoughts

I was digging the look of this bike as well. Your post indicates your concern with reliabiltiy, I am not certian how important this concern is for you, maybe just putting out some feelers?

Anyway, my reliability concern here would be that this bike design is so new and 'Now I am a sports Bike' - 'Now I am an Adenture Bike' gagetry on top of any new model gremlins would have me waiting it out a year or so, until the issues surface. Once the Beta testers have sorted some of it out you could gauge if any issues that exists are acceptable to you?

IMO if you have a bike now, and you really want this one, ride your current bike for a year and consider this one next model year. But if you have no problems being a beta tester - the responses here so far are warm and fuzzy.

Waiting it out also give the after market some time to develop some options for the bike - and for some early adopters to provide their input.

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
I've owned Ducatis since 1997, currently own two, and have followed many of the Ducati forums during the entire time. I don't know where the reliability fable came from, because I've found them to be as reliable as any other brand. But I enjoy riding them more than the other brands, so to me it's worth a bit more cost.

Maintenance costs are a little bit higher if you have all of the work done at a dealer.

As for first year issues, some bikes have them and some don't. The engine isn't new on the Hypermotard 1200, so that shouldn't be an issue. Only the electronics are truly new, and whatever magic the forks contain that allow it to switch between sport touring and enduro mode.

I would love to have a first year version of that bike. I just need some help convincing my wife that I "need one".
Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
Rider007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=ducati
Rider007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #15
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider007