User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Voz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Draining oil in 13 GSW

Hi, my 13 GSW has a full oil sight window, should I drain some out and if so, how is this done? The bike has 4300 Klm and has only ever been dealer serviced, I have added no oil.

2013 R1200 GS WC
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Mine is the same. These bikes have huge sumps I believe. I don't worry about it. Plus I think the built in the oil checker would give an error if it was over filled but not sure on this.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
GrouchyGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
When my dealer does an oil change, you end up with a full sight glass. Don't let it bother you.
GrouchyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
Hi, my 13 GSW has a full oil sight window, should I drain some out and if so, how is this done? The bike has 4300 Klm and has only ever been dealer serviced, I have added no oil.
The easiest way I know to reduce the oil level would be to ride it another 4300 Km.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,935
When I changed the oil on a Wethead, I added 4 quarts and this is what I got:

Likely they are overfilling it, or not checking the valves which amounted to 300ml extra oil in the crank case.

Almost all of this came from the left side valve cover AFTER the oil had been drained but not refilled.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 1,729
After the dealer completed the 600 miles service the sight glass was full, I removed and drained the oil filter (twice) to get it to the top of the red line.
It probably made no difference, but I'm extremely anal and was able to sleep better afterwards.

The manual states that the oil capacity is 1.1 gallons.
I've changed the oil a couple of times and each time I remove the drain plug and let the bike to sit for a few hours, I also tilt the bike about 30 degrees to each side to get as much old oil out as I can (without removing the valve covers), even so if I were to dump 4 quarts in, the oil level would have been too high. I suspect that the dealer's BMW master mechanics just dump 4 quarts in and call it good after draining the oil with the bike level.

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
Voz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
if te consensus is that it is not an issue I don't care, just reading the manual it issues dire warnings for overfilling, lol.

2013 R1200 GS WC
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Likely they are overfilling it, or not checking the valves which amounted to 300ml extra oil in the crank case.
How did you drain out the 300ml? By removing the valve covers?
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post
if te consensus is that it is not an issue I don't care, just reading the manual it issues dire warnings for overfilling, lol.
My dealer overfilled it at the 6000-mile service, I didn't do anything to it, and now I have 10,000 miles and no problem so far. The built-in the oil checker always read "OK".
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #10
thepopeofchilitown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
When I changed the oil on a Wethead, I added 4 quarts and this is what I got:

Jim
After I did my first oil change on the GSW, my sight glass looked exactly the same. I put in just as much as the manual said to, so perhaps it's not a problem with the dealer overfilling. They may be following the book directions as well. I haven't experienced any problems with the bike since the change, but I do keep an eye on the glass.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolderboulder View Post
How did you drain out the 300ml? By removing the valve covers?
Yes, exactly, after I had already drained the oil the regular way.

Unlike the previous versions, the valve covers have a significant amount of oil in them, at least the left one does, after shut-down.

Jim
Old 10-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopeofchilitown View Post
After I did my first oil change on the GSW, my sight glass looked exactly the same. I put in just as much as the manual said to, so perhaps it's not a problem with the dealer overfilling. They may be following the book directions as well. I haven't experienced any problems with the bike since the change, but I do keep an eye on the glass.
If it looked the same as the photo you are fine. the levels need to be inside the circle.

Jim
Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #13
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
After the dealer completed the 600 miles service the sight glass was full, I removed and drained the oil filter (twice) to get it to the top of the red line.
It probably made no difference, but I'm extremely anal and was able to sleep better afterwards.
Pulling the oil filter is a really good way to lower the level slightly. Then, fire up the engine so it pumps the oil filter full again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

For minor adjustments it is MUCH easier and less messy than pulling the drain plug. FYI, that 5W40 oil splashes a LOT more than the old 20W50 did.
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Pulling the oil filter is a really good way to lower the level slightly. Then, fire up the engine so it pumps the oil filter full again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

For minor adjustments it is MUCH easier and less messy than pulling the drain plug. FYI, that 5W40 oil splashes a LOT more than the old 20W50 did.

Exactly!

Next time I change the oil I'll follow Jim's advice and drop the valve covers rather than tilt the bike from side to side, it sounds like there's enough residual old oil in that left side to make dropping the crash bars and valve covers worth the trouble......at least to satisfy my inner analytical being.

Running the engine with oil above the red line is a bad thing, if its just a little over its likely not a big deal but at some point the level will be high enough that it may cause damage like leaks or foaming of the oil which reduces it ability to lubricate, the problem is that we don't know how much extra oil it takes to start causing damage, and the issues it causes might not be immediately catastrophic but may surface latter down the road, you see engines that have come apart a few years into their life for no apparent reason, maybe they were overfilled with oil at the 6000 miles service.

Good Judgment Comes From Experience, Experience Comes From Bad Judgment.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Exactly!

Next time I change the oil I'll follow Jim's advice and drop the valve covers rather than tilt the bike from side to side, it sounds like there's enough residual old oil in that left side to make dropping the crash bars and valve covers worth the trouble......at least to satisfy my inner analytical being.

Running the engine with oil above the red line is a bad thing, if its just a little over its likely not a big deal but at some point the level will be high enough that it may cause damage like leaks or foaming of the oil which reduces it ability to lubricate, the problem is that we don't know how much extra oil it takes to start causing damage, and the issues it causes might not be immediately catastrophic but may surface latter down the road, you see engines that have come apart a few years into their life for no apparent reason, maybe they were overfilled with oil at the 6000 miles service.
The other thing is, for the anal, that .3 liters is a lot of old dirty oil to leave in the motor.

Jim