Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #241
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,465
His 95/93 is RON and is approximately your 89 [AKI or (RON+MON)/2], e.g. mid-range octane gas. Some bikes do well on mid-range. Others run noticeably better on high test.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #242
Epictetus70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Pictures of Boosterplug install on 2012 R1200GS Adv.

DONE! Thanks again all for your postings and experiences. I figured I'd add a few pic's of my own install in hopes that it might help others.

My sequence of pictures start with a wider shot of the bike narrowing it down to where and how I did my install. The purpose of this is to give the viewer a reference point.

If anyone more mechanically inclined sees a problem with my install, suggestions are very much welcomed. After my install I made sure every component was secure. Took it for a spin and worked very well, especially at slow speeds as others mentioned. I was able to do very tight 360 maneuvers with clutch fully out (no friction zone work needed). In the past I wasn't able to do it, due to it being a little jumpy.

NOTE: As you'll see I've already removed all necessary faring/panels. No need for those pic's. Tip: When removing several parts I make sure to keep all screws with paneling or lay them in the same sequence so I don't mix up the screws since some of them are different.

Okay, so here's a shot for reference.

Here's a close up. At the top you'll see the original ECU connected into the AIT which is connected to the airbox.

This picture shows the Boosterplug installed as described in the instructions. I left the end of the zip tie attached, just for visualization. I obviously cut off all excess once completed. You'll notice I used a zip tie at the base of the AIT connector to hold in place the Boosterplug "box." It's not on super tight, just snug. In the previous pic you'll notice the line to the ECU is held in place by a silver clip. I am not using it after the install. I basically tucked everything in front of the airbox and used another zip tie to just hold it in place.

Now to the NTC install! So why am I showing you this pic? Simply to show that I removed said parts so I could "fish" the NTC towards the front of the bike. Perhaps it could have been done without moving said parts, but I did.

Reference pic My handy dandy led flashlight.....to shed some light. You can see the excess zip tie ends in this pic too.

Closer......Don't try looking for the NTC....you won't see it in this pic.

So here's the NTC zip tied onto the frame of the bike. I purposely zip tied (loosely) the front of the NTC to another zip tie away from other metal parts. Reason being, others mentioned in this post that metal parts will retain heat.

This is just another picture showing where I zip tied the line of the NTC. I actually added another zip tie just for measure. The line runs underneath the tank from the left side of the bike to the right. I figured it would be safe there as other lines run the same path.

Hope this helps!!
Epictetus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #243
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,414
^ Nope, that's how you do it. I find the electrical 'pigtail' is about an inch too short. It needs more room to let the 'module' sit up and into the cavity forward of the airbox.

The BP in my experience worked better on hexheads. On the '07 it made a noticeable difference in parking lot maneuvers and very low first gear transitions. On the '12 camhead, I think the BP is wrestling with the bike's computer and I honestly don't feel any change. In fact, I think the OEM fueling is better and may switch it back.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #244
NinjaRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
If you don't buy it for yourself, buy it for your pillion!

Recently installed the Booster Plug on my 2008 GSA and now have a
few hundred miles of experience riding with it.

I absolutely agree with all the previous entries regarding smoother throttle
response, eliminating the on/off "feel when you back off the throttle to slow
down and stop, much less engine braking ( good and bad ), smoother
shifting, etc.

As much as I am appreciating all these improvements when riding solo, they
make even more of a difference when riding with my girlfriend on the back.
She commented after our last ride that the bike feels transformed and is
much more comfortable / less tiring to be on ( and this a woman who loves
to ride pillion ).

If you ride "2-up" on any kind of a regular basis, this is a "must have",
at least for the Hex Head GS's. Wish I had done it 30,000 miles ago!
NinjaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #245
afmeyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Has anyone put the temp sensor for the boosterplug in the airbox itself? Seems like a hole with a rubber grommet and something to hold it in place on the inside would do it.
afmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #246
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmeyer View Post
Has anyone put the temp sensor for the boosterplug in the airbox itself? Seems like a hole with a rubber grommet and something to hold it in place on the inside would do it.
I put mine tie wrapped to the snorkle. What you describe would be one step better.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #247
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Yes, I have seen posts about it, but IMO don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. Tie wrap to snorkle...easy to remove, no warranty issues or problems with the dealer where they point their finger at that, etc.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #248
tom28734
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Probe mounting

I took a small piece of teak (wood) and drilled it for the probe to extend through. I then tie-wrapped the teak to the arm of the telelever well into the clean (cool) air stream. Works great and easily removed.
tom28734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #249
The Other JC
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Not quite in the airbox, but at the airbox end of the snorkel. Drilled a hole and glued the sensor in place inside with sealant, and sealed the entry point with same.

This was done as part of the process to try and discover an infernal rattle that plagued my bike for over a year. I thought maybe the sensor was rattling when loosely hanging in the snorkel.

The rattle turned out to be the spotlight housing!!
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #250
i-man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I forgot i had a Booster Plug from my F650GS twin sitting in the garage so i threw it on the 2013 GS Raylle Edition. Did a fast install and took it out for a quick ride. Seems like its doing its job. I forget if im going to get hit with a big milage penalty for using this, on my F650GS twin i always got around 50MPG...this GS is still breaking in but if i recall it was not a big hit. I guess i will find out. Thanks for updating this post , my booster plug is now in action again.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #251
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
^ Nope, that's how you do it. I find the electrical 'pigtail' is about an inch too short. It needs more room to let the 'module' sit up and into the cavity forward of the airbox.

The BP in my experience worked better on hexheads. On the '07 it made a noticeable difference in parking lot maneuvers and very low first gear transitions. On the '12 camhead, I think the BP is wrestling with the bike's computer and I honestly don't feel any change. In fact, I think the OEM fueling is better and may switch it back.
I agree big difference on the hexhead not so much if at all on cam head. Also great on the 800s
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #252
luca9277
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I've had the Booster Plug on my 08 GS for about 2 years now and 25k km and I can only say good things about it, in particular as other said, when I have a pillion on, less clutch work to get started. In general you can actually feel a better throttle response.
If you are still not sure run with it for a few months (miles/km) then take it off, the difference will be ever more clear.

To those who report no improvement I would say this is a small/cheap-ish modification that is just enriching an otherwise way too lean air-fuel mixture.

It won't out a Panigale's engine in your GS, just understand the theory behind it and what that can actually do to your ride.

Once you have the right expectation you can only appreciate it.
luca9277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #253
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 124
Received Booster plug today at noon...installed and rolling on my 2012 GS by 12:30...brief 25 mile ride...smoother idle...my deceleration backfireing/barking virtually gone...softer throttle responce is best way to describe throttle action??..not as abrupt perhaps..more gradual...500 to 600 mile trip this weekend..will post results...on standard GS very easy install..30 minutes and done...zip tied sensor up by headstock.
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #254
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
I put mine tie wrapped to the snorkle. What you describe would be one step better.
Roger,
IMO, that temp sensor is for ambient temp IIRC. The actual IAT sensor itself is in the airbox so wouldn't putting the "comparative" sensor in the same airflow going into the airbox be kind of eliminating the comparative effect???? Putting it in the airflow of the actual ambient air would be, IMO what you would strive for. Probably doesn't matter in any case unless you put it down wind of a heat source.
Rod
Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #255
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
After reading all of this I ordered one. Thanks all.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote