Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #46
laterider
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafshutter
Easy install, took about 20 minutes...

I cable tied the external NTC resistor on the frame behind the power outlet next to the toolspace tray..

Anyone have a better / different suggestion on placement?

No testride yet.. to much of that white cold stuff on the ground here in Sweden
I installed mine on Friday, the 22nd. I placed the external NTC air temp sensor in the air box of my 2007K12GT. I removed the fairings, removed the air inlet and air filter, drilled a 6mm hole at the top starboard corner of the air box, lubricated the NTC lightly and slid it into the air box. The NTC and it's associated wiring is light enough and stiff enough that no internal support was needed.

I sealed the area around the hole with a high temp silicon gasket maker. This anchored the NTC lead and sealed the air box.

I have ridden the bike for the last 3 days. The BoosterPlug has made a big difference in throttle response smoothness. I had a PowerFRK on the bike since October 2008. The BoosterPlug is a BIG improvement.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #47
jenslh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Thanks for the positive feedback :-)

I'll be finishing the February 1 batch this week, and will probably send out payment instructions on friday to those of you that enlisted the avrider group (arranged around christmas time).

I still have a few units available in the February 15 batch, so if you want to get on the waiting list - drop me a mail.

Interest in the BoosterPlug is massive, and I really struggle to get production ahead of demands. But I'll rather keep a waiting list than cut corners on quality !

Cheers

/Jens
jenslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #48
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by laterider
I installed mine on Friday, the 22nd. I placed the external NTC air temp sensor in the air box of my 2007K12GT. I removed the fairings, removed the air inlet and air filter, drilled a 6mm hole at the top starboard corner of the air box, lubricated the NTC lightly and slid it into the air box. The NTC and it's associated wiring is light enough and stiff enough that no internal support was needed.

I sealed the area around the hole with a high temp silicon gasket maker. This anchored the NTC lead and sealed the air box.

I have ridden the bike for the last 3 days. The BoosterPlug has made a big difference in throttle response smoothness. I had a PowerFRK on the bike since October 2008. The BoosterPlug is a BIG improvement.
I thought it was advisable to install the NTC sensor in another location... not in the airbox?
Jens, can you chime in on this?
And my funds are will be on the way tomorrow.
Cheers
Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #49
jenslh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter
I thought it was advisable to install the NTC sensor in another location... not in the airbox?
Jens, can you chime in on this?
And my funds are will be on the way tomorrow.
Cheers
To make the BoosterPlug work at its optimum the external NTC and the stock AIT sensor (also a NTC) must measure the same temperature.

That's why I advise to install the sensor where it is not affected by engine heat, and get a reasonable amount of fresh air. Typical location is forward and upward - somewhere inside the front fairing. You may have a temperature here that is 1-2 degrees different from the inside of the air box, but this is really insignificant, and you will never feel the difference.

This is how 99% of all customers (including myself) install the sensor.

What you should not do is to install the sensor in a low flow area that is heated up by the engine (like just outside the air box, under the shielding). This will minimize the positive effect of the BoosterPlug.

Laterider wanted to place the sensor in the ultimate position - inside the airbox, right next to the original AIT - to be 100% sure that the two sensors will measure excactly the same temperature. He discussed this with me a few weeks ago, and decided to go the hard way. I think he did a very good and well thought out job with the installation, but it's probably not the route most owners will take.

I designed the BoosterPlug to have the NTC installed in an external position for two reasons: Installation is really easy, and you dont have to make irreversible changes to your bike.

Cheers

/Jens

jenslh screwed with this post 01-30-2010 at 12:22 AM
jenslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:02 AM   #50
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Jens;
Thanks for the clarification.

Laterider;

Do you have any photo's of where you put the NTC sensor?

Cheers
Old 02-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #51
Andrzej
aka Statking

Oddometer: 243
If anyone has any photos of the install, those would be appreciated.

A.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #52
Tslepebull
Snakecharmer

Oddometer: 264
Well, one of us has to try it and it may as well be me. I contacted the manufacturer and it would cost 35 Euros (about $50) delivered. I ordered one today and will let y'all know how it works. I am not all that concerned about increased power. My 05 GS can make my @$$ pucker as it is; however, I would like to have smoother low speed throttle delivery. If my fuel mileage drops it might be a deal breaker. I am running a full Remus system so I am not concerned about damage to my catalitic converter. Range report when it comes in.
Tslepebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #53
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,694
As far as I can determine, the BP is operating as advertised. I used to have a good amount of popping on decel, because I engine brake quite a bit. With the plug installed I've been getting one or two pops at most and that is only if I aggressively load the motor. Throttle take up from closed is nice and smooth. I've been paying close attention to this behavior for the last 200 miles and I'm sure it's better.

I like riding in the winter because the cooler, more dense air makes the bike stronger. I was out riding tonight, with the air temp around 62F. The bike was pulling like it was much colder. I believe it's stronger than stock, but I don't have a dyno run to prove it. I'm using a bit more fuel than before the BP installation, but I figure it's because I'm having so much fun grabbing a handful of throttle! When I behave, I don't see any difference in fuel consumption.

The install on my 2008 r1200gs was simple. I've got the NTC sensor mounted up by the fuel pump wires, sticking out in the clean air. I ran the NTC cable right up the side of the fuel tank and then curled the wire around and zip-tied it to the existing wiring. Quick and clean.

NTC sensor - Just under handlebars

nevermind screwed with this post 02-03-2010 at 11:02 AM
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #54
eng943
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I am anxious to get this on my GSA. After much reading, there are some very happy customers.
eng943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #55
crazyhawk99 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
I am anxious to get this on my GSA. After much reading, there are some very happy customers.
Same here. I got mine in the mail several weeks ago, but since it has been so friggin cold out, have not yet installed it. I want to ride the bike before so I can do a seat-of-the-pants comparo. After reading the real-user reviews and Jens' posts, I have no doubt that it will be a noticable improvement.
2009 R1200GS
2009 Buell 1125CR
2002 HD Heritage Springer
2004 ZX-10R
2003 SV650
1988 Sporty 883 (cafe project)

Next Bike:
Hmmmm....
crazyhawk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #56
SpaceBiker
ZOOMing homeBODY

Oddometer: 53
Got my BoosterPlug in the mail today from the group buy. Install took about half an hour with zip ties, drilled hole in air box in back end on small shelf forward of battery to the right. Installed with rubber grommet.
Hopeful to test bike tomorrow morning if snow holds off.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #57
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBiker
Got my BoosterPlug in the mail today from the group buy. Install took about half an hour with zip ties, drilled hole in air box in back end on small shelf forward of battery to the right. Installed with rubber grommet.
Hopeful to test bike tomorrow morning if snow holds off.
Y'all are a lot braver than I, drilling holes in your airbox! I hope Jens will comment if that is really necessary!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #58
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
I installed mine yesterday on my '09 GSA. Install took about 10 minutes. Very easy. My temp probe routes along side the left of the tank, over the fuel pump lines and then is zip tied to the left of the forks in open air. I can see it when I am riding but you can't see it if you are off the bike.

I did about a 20 mile test ride. Outside temp was about 40 degrees. Things have smoothed out at lower speeds. Added a good amount of low end grunt. Wide open acceleration from 1st through 3rd seems greatly improved.

This may be in my head but it actually seems to idle better.

I am very happy with the product. Some much that I have ordered two more of them for my other bikes.

Great job and product Jens!
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #59
Andrzej
aka Statking

Oddometer: 243
Got mine in the mail today. We are expecting some heavy snow here on the east coast so install and testing will have to wait a bit.
Anxiously waiting the weather to break.
Thanks Jens
Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #60
mag00
Outa Control Dave

Oddometer: 418
Mine showed up today as well, nicely made product. should get it on tomorrow.
09 R1200GSA
IBA #25226
mag00 is offline   Reply With Quote