ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,741
1st annual, Un-official, Un-organized, Rocky Mountain Monkey-Butt 500.

It's HERE!!! Raul Duke's 1st annual, Un-official, Un-organized, Rocky Mountain Monkey-Butt 500

The original goal was a multi-day 500 mile loop with the most singletrack we could find. It's turned into a three day ride covering an estimated 666 miles.

When is it? July 16th, 17th, and 18th.

Click here for the route

If you're interested in the ride you can ride solo, or you can join a group
Click here for riding groups

What kind of bike would be best? You'll want something thats: 1) Plated, 2) Light weight (my guess is you'll want something less than 300 lb fully loaded), 3) 120+ mile gas range, 4) comfortable enough to travel on for 3 rough 220 mile days, 5) well suspended.

How do I know if I'm prepared to ride 220 miles a day on highly technical terrain? If you have to ask, you aren't ready for it. But if you want to take a test ride, plan on attending the 2010 Brecktrek ride.

We will have a chase vehicle meeting us at our camp sites, so you will not need to carry camping gear on your bike.

Ride Report begins around post 318

Post ride awards:
Day 1, Day 2, Day 3

Pablo83 screwed with this post 08-01-2011 at 04:03 PM
Pablo83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
It's HERE!!! It's UN-OFFICIAL!!!

It's the 1st annual, Un-official, Un-organized, Rocky Mountain Monkey-Butt 500 as invisioned by Raul Duke.

What the hell is it? Orginally it was to be a 500 mile loop including as much single track as possible. It's turned into a three day ride starting and ending in Woodland Park and covering an estimated 666 miles.

When is it? We don't know yet, but it's looking like mid July. Feel free to provide feedback on the dates.

Much more to come...

[This post will continue to be updated as we work out all the details]
Fuck it, count me in. I'll keep a watch on this thread. I have family in CO that I could probably visit anyways ;) A good excuse
Old 12-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

The Route

Day one: Start at Painted Rocks CG just north of Woodland Park, Rampart Rd to GOG, Gold Camp Rd, Shelf Rd, Tanner Shultz, southern section of Rainbow Trail and camp near Balman Rez.

Day 2: Northern section of RBT, Marshall Pass through Pitkin, Fossil Ridge [an alternative to this is being researched], Spur trail (424), Bear Creek, Camp at Spring Creek Rez.

Day 3: Reno Divide, Brush Creek, Pearl Pass, Taylor Pass, Lily Pond, Timberline Trail, Poplar Gulch, BV to Florissant (this still needs to be worked out), 717.

- There will be an easier route that will still be majority dirt, and will be plenty scenic, but there will probably be 50-sum miles of highway. If you are interested in this route I can make GPS tracks and give you coords for the camps. But I won't compile these until the "hard" route is finalized which won't happen till spring since some of it still needs to be worked out. Plus you'll kind of be on your own one this route so have some maps.

we understand this schedule is optimistic and we may have some breakdowns and some may die, but given that this is a big loop, it will be easy to cut out various portions of it and meet up with the group at a later point if you can't handle the rough stuff.

This is what it looks like on a map. Grey is asphalt, Brown is dirt road, Blue is single/quad track, Black we still need tracks for, White is other options.

Click here if you are interested in the origins of the ride.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 01-31-2010 at 04:25 PM
Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
It's the 1st annual, Un-official, Un-organized, Rocky Mountain Monkey-Butt 500 as invisioned by Raul Duke.
I'm so honored...
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjharn
Fuck it, count me in. I'll keep a watch on this thread. I have family in CO that I could probably visit anyways ;) A good excuse
That is, if you guys don't mind a Nebraskan joining in
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
That is, if you guys don't mind a Nebraskan joining in
We've got a guy from Louisiana coming (two guys actually, but one of them still lives in La) and you don't get much flatter and lower elevation than that, so how bad could you possibly be?

Honestly anyone that wants to complete this ride needs to be very experienced and in great shape. But we really don't care were you're from as long as it's not Alabama.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Raul Duke
DROC

Quote:
...and in great shape.
Damn-it! That means I'm out.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Duke
Damn-it! That means I'm out.
That's only if you want to complete the ride. If you're just along for the substance abuse you can head home whenever things get too weird for you. BTW, that's a joke. Raul is a nark so we'll be sticking to alcohol and banana peels.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 12-16-2009 at 01:13 PM
Old 12-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Quote:
Honestly anyone that wants to complete this ride needs to be very experienced and in great shape. .
How difficult are we talking here?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
How difficult are we talking here?
Good question. We should start posting some RR's of the harder trails we'll be riding. Also pics of the magical places we'll travel would be good too. Anyone with such info is welcome to post it.

Eventually several people will comment on how impossible this trip is and you'll get a better idea of what we're up against.

Here's what I think of the ride, and the appropriate bike for each section.
Rampart Rd - easy, Vstrom
Captain Jacks - impossible, trials bike [Raul, can you post your vids of this]
Gold Camp Rd - easy, Vstrom
Shelf Rd - easy, Vstrom
Tanner Shultz - ???
Southern section of Rainbow Trail - impossible, hiking boots
Northern section of RBT - even more impossible, helicopter
Marshall Pass - ???
Fossil Ridge - probably closed
Spur trail (424) - hard when dry, impossible when wet, trials bike
Bear Creek - fun, CR250
Reno Divide - fun, CR250
Brush Creek - slightly technical, CR250
Pearl Pass - impossible, helicopter
Taylor Pass - rocky, hiking boots
Lily Pond - rocky, hiking boots
Timberline Trail - impossible, hiking boots and/or Search and Rescue ATV.
Hancock Pass - ???
BV to Florissant - easy, Vstrom
717 - slightly technical, CR250

Pablo83 screwed with this post 12-16-2009 at 01:21 PM
Old 12-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Oldwin1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Why would anyone come here from Nebraska to ride. I hear they have all the good riding.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Kjharn
Hrmph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwin1
Why would anyone come here from Nebraska to ride. I hear they have all the good riding.
Good one

Anyways, I'm not terribly experienced, but I'm a youngin' and I pick up on things quickly. I'll wait until I see a few RR's before deciding for sure.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
roborider
New River Roborider

Oddometer: 210
Will there be a "medium

If you end up with an alternative route for medium skilled riders that are slower paced "tourist trail" riders, might be a way to engage two groups for a big party each night, assuming the camping sites are accessible for that crowd (like me)...
Old 12-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by roborider
If you end up with an alternative route for medium skilled riders that are slower paced "tourist trail" riders, might be a way to engage two groups for a big party each night, assuming the camping sites are accessible for that crowd (like me)...
There certainly will be easier routes that will still be majority dirt, and will be plenty scenic, but there will probably be 50-sum miles of highway. If you are interested in this route I can make GPS tracks and give you coords for the camps. But I won't compile these until the "hard" route is finalized which won't happen till spring since some of it still needs to be worked out. Also, unless someone decides they want to lead the easier route, you will be on your own, so a selection of appropriate maps would be good to have.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 12-16-2009 at 01:11 PM
Old 12-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
Raul Duke
DROC

So my (origional) goals for the ride are…
  • multi-day ride (I’m guessing min of 3 days for the full technical loop)
  • I would like to hit as much singletrack/trails/psudo-singletrack as possible, the second alternative being dirt roads, third being paved as least as possible.
  • I would like to have a main route that has a varying degree of difficulty that would suit different riders. All bikes would have to be street legal of course, but I think it would be nice to have alternative less technical routes for more dual sport bigger bikes or more novice riders as well as having ass-kicking single track for the more advanced riders.