ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
northsouth15 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
recommended 2-stroke rebuilder in orange county, CA?

can anyone recommend a professional 2-stroke rebuilder near orange county, CA?

Blew up my '94 YZ250 on the freeway...it's not locked; kicker moves the engine a little bit, but lots of resistance.

I'm guessing crank bearings and/or crank

I want a full rebuild before LAB2V in November, and I suck at installing crank bearings myself, and I've somehow installed cranks a bit crooked, so I'd rather outsource it.

It's a bike I want to have awhile, so the budget is flexible in exchange for quality work
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
TSkelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Inside Line Moto is in Orange. Matt does excellent work.
714-639-3900
TSkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,325
I rebuilt my '95 YZ a few times, but left the crank pressing to the local machine shop in Anaheim, http://qande.com/site/ . They'll rebuild the crank with a new rod, bearing, and shims for about $200 parts and labor and they have the main bearings for you too. Hopefully the cases aren't damaged. Do it yourself and save $$$, get a full gasket set, all new seals, maybe a few new bearings for piece of mind, polish the piston and get new rings, and completely clean the power valve and you got a new bike.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
YellowjacketD37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Riders in District 37 take their bikes to Inside Line Moto. They have quite the stellar reputation.

Don't hesitate to take your bike there. You'll probably also see the owner riding LA-B-to-V too. He rides District 37 events.
YellowjacketD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
northsouth15 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
thanks for the input, looks like inside line moto is at the top of the list!

I already called them and they require about 2 hours of labor to diagnose what's wrong (~$150 worth) which is less than the $270 diagnosis I was quoted by 3 bro's KTM in costa mesa...and they guessed at worst it would cost me ~$1,200-$1,400 for the full rebuild

I know, I know...2-strokes are mechanically simple and I should do it at home. I've split cases before, and I'd rather not do it again...I have a knack for breaking a lot of critical engine parts and stripping every soft screw/bolt on the way. My crank bearings never get installed straight and I somehow bent a crank while installing it. Also - not a moto friendly apartment...
northsouth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I've taken my last DRZ in for them to diagnose and my impression was their shop is really neat and clean. Didn't get any work done since this is how my piston looked after they tore it apart.

Quote:
Wow this one takes the cake!!! We have been in the motorcycle repair biz for a long time and this is flat out impressive! 02 DRZ 400
outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
Kendrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Another vote for the guys at at Inside Line. Have 4 different bikes that I have taken there (three of them 2 strokes), all of them dialed in better than new. great service.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote