ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Skowinski OP
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,492
Northern California Camping Locations

Hi folks - thinking about a short (5-6 day) trip to northern California in early June. We would be on the dualsports bikes, so dirt roads are not a problem, in fact, that's where I'd rather be. I've been all over northern CA on the street bikes, but never camping.

Anyone know some cool spots? Along the coast is good, as is inland in the Klamath's or anywhere north of Chico approximately. Would rather be in out of the way places, not interested in busy campgrounds, doesn't even really need to be a campground...

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Hi folks - thinking about a short (5-6 day) trip to northern California in early June. We would be on the dualsports bikes, so dirt roads are not a problem, in fact, that's where I'd rather be. I've been all over northern CA on the street bikes, but never camping.

Anyone know some cool spots? Along the coast is good, as is inland in the Klamath's or anywhere north of Chico approximately. Would rather be in out of the way places, not interested in busy campgrounds, doesn't even really need to be a campground...

Thanks!

USAL Beach - done!
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
probably find some good info here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=lost+coast

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
norcalstew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Get yourself one of those map books from Benchmark or DeLorme. Best $20 I've ever spent. They show campgrounds. I usually start my trips with my map book and then hit Google Earth and my Garmin maps.

Out of Chico: 32 (east) is a fun road with a couple really nice small CG's. Also, 36 out of Red Bluff hit Mineral and go through Lassen park, camp on Hat Creek. Take 89 to Shasta, cruz the Klamath Hwy to the coast. So many options in the Northsate. Endless options on knobbies.
06... Was a good year for me
norcalstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobus View Post
USAL Beach - done!
+1 on Usal Beach and the Lost Coast - lots of info 8n the links below

http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=31980408

http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=31980438

WeeBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
Skowinski OP
Chordate

Thanks guys, this gives me some good ideas! Still
Old 04-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
dravnx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTA View Post
+1 on Usal Beach and the Lost Coast - lots of info 8n the links below

http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=31980408

http://www.advrider.com/forums/searc...rchid=31980438
Links don't work for me.
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
Skowinski OP
Chordate

That's odd, they were working last night...
Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,448
All through the mountains of Mendocino county. Endless dirt roads and camping.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
klrukiddingme?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Sinkyone Wilderness State Park

Where Usal Rd and Briceland Rd intersect just outside of Shelter Cove, take a cool dirt road down to the Sinkyone Wilderness State Park. There are few fire pits/tables right on the bluffs and with any luck, a large herd of Roosevelt Elk that might be grazing next to your tent in the morning

Beautiful! And remote.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #11
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Usal

Quote:
Thanks guys, this gives me some good ideas! Still
Great ideas above. Maybe incorporate some of the SheetIron route, depending on weather/dust (Bartlett Springs, Sherwood, Navarro Ridge Road, Lower Gap, etc.).

Last Saturday I rode with a couple buddies from Fort Bragg to Usal beach, Sinkyone Park, and Shelter Cove and back to Fort Bragg, inbetween the SheetIron route from Stonyford to Fort Bragg and back (Fri and Sun).

Usal is definitely on my list for camping now. We were on DS bikes and hoteling in FB Fri and Sat, but looks like a great overnight destination-big bike friendly too. As long as those elk don't step on your tent, they look pretty tame! ;-)

And that Kings Peak Rd from SC north is on the list too.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #12
Skowinski OP
Chordate

Thanks again! I really like the idea of places like Sinkyone Wilderness State Park, that looks great. Looks like some of that area like Usal road might be a mess if it's wet though. What's the Sheetiron route like?

FWIW we will be on a BMW F650GS and an Aprilia Pegaso. Both are perfectly capable of gravel/dirt roads and smooth jeep roads, but I wouldn't want to get into any really bad mud/sand/rocks (Skowinski-wife is on the BMW and only has a few years experience now, she would not be having fun if it got ugly, and if she was having a bad time I'd be too... )
Old 04-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks again! I really like the idea of places like Sinkyone Wilderness State Park, that looks great. Looks like some of that area like Usal road might be a mess if it's wet though. What's the Sheetiron route like?

FWIW we will be on a BMW F650GS and an Aprilia Pegaso. Both are perfectly capable of gravel/dirt roads and smooth jeep roads, but I wouldn't want to get into any really bad mud/sand/rocks (Skowinski-wife is on the BMW and only has a few years experience now, she would not be having fun if it got ugly, and if she was having a bad time I'd be too... )
Maybe forget everything I said then. I was thinking a couple guys on DS bikes, but I would more accurately characterize your trip as husband and wife on lt wt adv bikes. Sherwood would be ok, Bartlett Springs Rd likely ok (loose, hot, dry, dusty, dropoffs to death (but wide), Navarro Ridge Rd ok if you can fit around the gate or it is open. Low Gap Rd was easy except for one slide part that you could likely ride both bikes across. Usal could be challenging on some of the rutted muddy downhills-we saw bmw bike bits embedded in the mud-and it goes on for like 20+ miles with no bail out. The road down to the Sinkyone State Park is tame (except for dropoff along the side that goes way down). I'd stay off the sheetiron except for some of the easy splits and the roads above.

paste this into browser and decide if any of it is for you (tracks on gpsxchange or pm me for file) "sheetiron site:advrider.com"

StuInFH screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 12:32 PM
Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
ElDorado650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Maybe forget everything I said then. I was thinking a couple guys on DS bikes, but I would more accurately charaterize your trip as husband and wife on lt wt adv bikes. Sherwood would be ok, Bartlett Springs Rd likely ok (loose, hot, dry, dusty, dropoffs to death (but wide), Navarro Ridge Rd ok if you can fit around the gate or it is open. Low Gap Rd was easy except for one slide part that you could likely ride both bikes across. Usal could be challenging on some of the rutted muddy downhills-we saw bmw bike bits embedded in the mud-and it goes on for like 20+ miles with no bail out. The road down to the Sinkyone State Park is tame (except for dropoff along the side that goes way down). I'd stay off the sheetiron except for some of the easy splits and the roads above.

paste this into browser and decide if any of it is for you (tracks on gpsxchange or pm me for file) "sheetiron site:advrider.com"
any where you can get a bike and a pup tent in the woods is always better then home!
ElDorado650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDorado650 View Post
any where you can get a bike and a pup tent in the woods is always better then home!
True, but he will have the best part of home with him. ;-)

If it rains just before, some of these roads won't be so fun on a bigger bike. Not everyone thinks slippery logs angled across the trail are a bonus. :-)