ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #1726
Donsesso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
i'm game after this weekend. how technical is the route? i'm on a 1200gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
Anyone here who's interested in mine history want to come along when I check out the Total Wreck Mine in Empire Ranch some time in the next few weeks?

http://www.wyattearpexplorers.com/total-wreck.html

Drop these coords into google maps to check out the area.

N 31 53.870 W 110 35.504

I'd like to ride out there and do some walking around.
Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #1727
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
It's been a while since I've been through the ranch. There are some rocky sections and there's a little sand in a few places that follow the wash for short stretches. That's just for where I've been so far. I haven't been north of the old airfield (where the mine is) yet...so that will all be new to me.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #1728
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntdawg View Post

Rolling out this morning to the east portal of the Aravaipa for an overnighter. Taking my partner of eleven years for his last ride

Sorry to hear this. A lot of us have been through a loss like this so we feel your pain.

Russ
Old 03-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #1729
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post
i'm game after this weekend. how technical is the route? i'm on a 1200gs
It's more of an area than a route. It is in fact a designated ohv area, and if you leave the main road to explore it can get pretty hairy. I've been over a lot of it on a r12gs, and I'm no jimmy Lewis for sure. But I will suggest you don't stray to far onto the gas line without a real skidplate. The azbdr track would be ok.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #1730
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
I just rode through that area three days ago. The power line road is a lot different from any power line road I've ever been on. Every inch was grin inducing, tho. We were on 990's.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #1731
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntdawg View Post
Rolling out this morning to the east portal of the Aravaipa for an overnighter. Taking my partner of eleven years for his last ride

Dave,
It'd be nice to think they might be together now
Old 03-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #1732
Donsesso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
sorry guys..
posts like this make me think about my 6 year old english bulldog. maybe another 4 years left for him, at best. i've been away from home for 2.5 months and i miss him more than the wife. sad, but true. he never talks back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Dave,
It'd be nice to think they might be together now
Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #1733
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 925
Thanks guys!

Another chapter in this life closes. I will not have another for a long time.

Here's to the good ones.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #1734
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 910

RIP MtnDawgs, Dawg
Our dog, her hips are going,
she has to stay home, when
I go for little rides
that she use to enjoy so much.
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #1735
phaneuf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Dsdd

Just a few pictures from last weekends ride MNTDAWG put together. Great ride and fun riding with others that like to explore off the regular sites.

After a mile of sand we all needed a break!!!

The view was worth the sand.

This was just before we stopped smiling for the rest of the ride as the terrain was a bit chewed up from heavier use of the trail.

The ups were manageable but the downs made us glad we were headed the direction we were riding. The opposite way would have been a super challenge. sorry no pics of the fun stuff I was busy holding on. but Robert might have some video taking a tumble or two.

the fast line home was down a gas line that was fast and a welcome breeze to cool off from the work behind us.

GREAT riding partners for the day can't wait to ride again.
phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #1736
PrimalScream
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Harley Elitism

I finally bought the bike I have been dreaming about for years. 2 weeks ago I became the proud owner of a babied, beautiful, low mileage 2009 BMW 1200 GS! I went on a short ride, Sierra Vista south on 92 to Bisbee then 80 to Tombstone & Charleston back home. A wondrous riding machine!

I thought it was funny while leaving Tombstone a column of 5 or 6 identical Harley's with identical old men, in identical riding gear passed me while waiting to turn, I waved at the first guy, who turned his head away, as did the other identical Stepford Riders, I guess to add insult to injury the last identical douche spit!

Really?!!? I now remember why I love the dual-sport family! Old men thinking Harley's are the ONLY bike on the road is the reason I never bought one, something about elitism has always left a bad taste in my mouth, plus the Harleys I have ridden seemed to shake like a cat trying shit a peach pit out, guess I should have been the one to spit.

Not every Harley rider has had this sense of self worth, I've had REAL 1%er's wave, but while most rider's regardless of make, race, religion or cubic inches generally wave, I notice the ones who seem to ride the Miracle from Milwaukee are the non-wavers.

A friend from high school is an Elitist. We talked about it one night & I said A Harley is kinda like an airplane in the fact you can go from point A to point B & have ALOT of fun doing it, however my little KLR was more like a helicopter, I can take that thing places airplanes can't even THINK about going! Dual-Sporter's are a family unto ourselves, everyone I have met in this community is always complimentary to your bike, curious as to what kind of farkles you have & even quick to offer awesome local ride suggestions. As for me & my bikes, I am happy here with y'all!

PrimalScream screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 11:09 PM
PrimalScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #1737
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
I usually don't wave to those girls unless they wave first. Besides, our machines require a bit more focus compared to those pirate ships with wheels.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #1738
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
I just wonder how they know my other bike isn't a Harley.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #1739
RedlegDaddy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
First real ride today on the new 1190R, about 100 miles of twisty pavement, gravel and dirt tracks.

Had a great time until I took a short cut through Ft Huachuca and got pulled over by an MP! I was informed that I was pulled over for Reckless driving, apparently standing on the pegs is " Reckless driving" because it distracts other drivers. My comment was if the other drivers are so easily distracted maybe they should be walking and not driving. Luckily even with the smart comment I just got a warning.

So when riding on Ft Huachuca stay in the seated position so as not to distract others!

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!

RedlegDaddy screwed with this post 04-19-2014 at 06:10 PM
RedlegDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #1740
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,223
Omg are they still on that nonsense?!? They were all set to arrest me for reckless driving a few years ago for the same thing. Idiots.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote