ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #1741
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegDaddy View Post
First real ride today on the new 1190R, about 100 miles of twisty pavement, gravel and dirt tracks.

Had a great time until I took a short cut through Ft Huachuca and got pulled over by an MP! I was informed that I was pulled over for Reckless driving, apparently standing on the pegs is " Reckless driving" because it distracts other drivers. My comment was if the other drivers are so easily distracted maybe they should be walking and not driving. Luckily even with the smart comment I just got a warning.

So when riding on Ft Huachuca stay in the seated position so as not to distract others!

Drool.... Nice ride! How do you like it on the slightly more technical stuff. I'm debating between the 1190R or staying light with the 690 Enduro R. Not sure if the 1190R will be too heavy for where I like to ride.

I was out that way on Saturday. Took a last minute ride (or I would have posted it up) over the pass, down to the border, and followed the border road all the way out to Lochiel. Stopped to check out the old school house and then rode up to Duquesne and Washington Camp. Threw some rocks into a 700ft vertical mine shaft....then headed back up to Sunnyside Canyon and stopped by the settlement out there. Nice 130 mile ride and we watched 3 illegal whitetails hop the border and head north. Was a good ride with some nice smooth straight stretches of dirt where we hit 75-80mph pretty easily.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #1742
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Sounds like we did about the same ride on Saturday. I like the 1190R so far but I don't think it could replace the 690R, in a perfect world I would own both and I think between the two you could have the correct bike for just about any ride.

My plan is to try and pay the 1190R off by the end of the year then pick up a new 2015 690R or maybe one of those old leftover 2014 690R's for a deal!
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #1743
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like we did about the same ride on Saturday. I like the 1190R so far but I don't think it could replace the 690R, in a perfect world I would own both and I think between the two you could have the correct bike for just about any ride.

My plan is to try and pay the 1190R off by the end of the year then pick up a new 2015 690R or maybe one of those old leftover 2014 690R's for a deal!
You probably headed out earlier than we did. Got a late start and didn't hit the pass until 2:30. We were both armed so didn't come back through post....instead just headed back over the pass...
Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #1744
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
You probably headed out earlier than we did. Got a late start and didn't hit the pass until 2:30. We were both armed so didn't come back through post....instead just headed back over the pass...
Yep, I rolled out of SV about 0700.

Forgot about the firearms on post deal, oops! A good reason not to take the shortcut again.
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #1745
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, I rolled out of SV about 0700.

Forgot about the firearms on post deal, oops! A good reason not to take the shortcut again.

If it's registered on post, I believe the reg states (would have to double check) that you can carry openly in the holster while on a motorcycle, unloaded of course. That said, I don't bother with the hassle and simply avoid it all together. I refuse to ride in that area unarmed. Chances of having issues are slim to almost none but if I break down and for some reason am stuck out there late or overnight then at the very least I'll have a good Surefire flashlight, sidearm, and spare mag.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #1746
Donsesso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Took pipeline road on Thursday. The first couple of miles were fine. Got myself in a bad situation after the third gate (about 1 mile past the old rail road). It was getting dark. Had to leave the bike and walk about 7 miles in the dark. Luckily I had phone reception, flashlight, and firearm. Picked her up Friday afternoon.

Lesson learned: don't ride alone.

Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #1747
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,243
Which pipeline? Looks maybe like empire ranch?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #1748
Donsesso
Adventurer

Started near whetstone (off of 82). Heading towards Benson.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #1749
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post
Lesson learned: don't ride alone.
I have ridden thousands of miles alone in southern Arizona, documented in this thread and others.

Lesson learned should be:

A MAN HAS GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS AND THAT OF HIS MACHINE!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #1750
Donsesso
Adventurer

That might be a better lesson.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #1751
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,243
I've been eyeing that area for some short day exploration
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #1752
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
I've been eyeing that area for some short day exploration
I'm gonna be checking out that area soon as well...
Old 04-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #1753
Low-N-Slow
Scootin & Movin!!

Oddometer: 15
Riding this weekend

I have ridden that area several times and may be up for a ride this weekend. I am going riding, just not sure where. I was thinking either the pipeline east on 82 or trying to find my way from the west side of 82 (mm43) up to Mescal for gas, then back down the gasline. If anyone is interested let me know. I think it should be about 90 some miles with maybe 3-5 miles of pavement. Might be less, not sure.
I will plan on meeting up at the Shell at Mustang corners and decide from there.
Low-N-Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #1754
Armyswammy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Laugh

So, while I have to agree with everyone saying that it's fine to ride alone, I would suggest the basics. Spare tubes, tools, tire irons, water, snack, GUN.
I was supposed to ride with some people this weekend, they flaked out (Yes, you know who you are). Anyways, made the ride out of SV and headed south and over the Coronado mountain pass. Hooked a left and made my way to the fence. Making my way to Patagonia for some lunch. Then rode to SOnoita on the road and back to the dirt at Parker Canyon Lake. I've got to say the difference in road quality between the Coronado road and border fence road was amazing.
All said and done it was a 130 mile day, ALONE.

Armyswammy screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 01:13 PM
Armyswammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #1755
Xskydiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
I've had at least one short ride turn into a long walk riding solo. I'll still do it but I stay WAY within my riding limits.