ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #226
jaredcrean
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim Demon
I have a friggen two gallon tank on my 250 plus a MSR can with another litre or so... Somebody bring a tow strap!
Ya im still running the stock tank on my drz

DRZ400s The quieter u become the more able u are to hear.

jaredcrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #227
RockemRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredcrean
Ya im still running the stock tank on my drz
Good to know that I don't need to get it mounted if I run out of time.
RockemRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #228
jaredcrean
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I'm gonna mount a 1 gallon tank to my fender with some tow straps hope fully it will staylol

DRZ400s The quieter u become the more able u are to hear.

jaredcrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #229
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
ya need one of these.

2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #230
Mark G
Sacrificial Anode

Oddometer: 144
Doesn't look very secure. If you carried one of those, I'll bet it would end up in the middle of the trail somewhere.

And then I'd probably fall on top of it.
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #231
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyniner
So it looks like Sunday would be better for more people if we do the mellower, longer ride that Guppy posted. 8:00 A.M. Sunday at Gas City, meet up with Bisbee folks at 8:45 somewhere in Bisbee(Coffee Company?)

If anyone is still interested, I still plan on riding the uber tech Bisbee stuff on Saturday. I just need to get it out of my system. Meet at the Circle K on HWY 92 near Canyon de Flores at 10:00 A.M. I work Friday night untill midnight, so I need my beauty rest!
I work 7pm Friday to 7am Saturday but would love to go do a technical ride down there.
Whenever the Haitians get their stuff together well enough, I will come down and do some of these rides.
I may come down for your Sunday ride though.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #232
claycraig OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I will be there for the saturday ride. Meet you at the Circle K. I will be there for Sunday too if I survive Saturdays ride. I put stock trailwing tires back on my DR so I need to find out how far I can push them. I will bring a couple of 1 liter fuel bottles in case someone needs more gas on Sunday (like me and my 2 gallon tank).

P.S. I have 5 bucks to go to the "find Gulpy Gulch a new Profile Pic" fund.

Quote:
So it looks like Sunday would be better for more people if we do the mellower, longer ride that Guppy posted. 8:00 A.M. Sunday at Gas City, meet up with Bisbee folks at 8:45 somewhere in Bisbee(Coffee Company?)

If anyone is still interested, I still plan on riding the uber tech Bisbee stuff on Saturday. I just need to get it out of my system. Meet at the Circle K on HWY 92 near Canyon de Flores at 10:00 A.M. I work Friday night untill midnight, so I need my beauty rest!
claycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #233
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrificial Anode
Doesn't look very secure. If you carried one of those, I'll bet it would end up in the middle of the trail somewhere.

And then I'd probably fall on top of it.
LOL,

Yep, I can always find my way home by the trail of stuff I leave.

Count me in for the Sunday ride, 0800 at Gas City.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #234
RockemRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Got a question for you. I decided to go ahead and swap the tanks and I needed a longer line for the vacuum. Kind of a PITA finding a replacement longer one since the only ones I could find were a larger diameter tube (same diameter inside...or at least close) and they don't fit very tight over the nipples. I'm thinking since it is only a vacuum line this won't be a big deal but if anyone thinks otherwise I'll have to try the motorcycle shops in town for the correct size hose. I made sure to get s fuel line so maybe that is the issue...perhaps I could get by with a regular vacuum line???

Quote:
I have the Clarke 4 gal. tank on mine, and it's probably one of the best functional mods I've made to the bike.

Mounting is fairly straight forward, although I did need to go to checker auto to get a longer fuel hose(or vacuum hose, can't remember which). The guy at the counter showed me a box of misc. scrap hose and said help yourself.

P.S. All DRZ owners should bookmark the DRZ FAQ on Thumper Talk. All the fixes and known issues are documented there. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397 http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=626003
Old 01-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #235
claycraig OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
The vacuum line should work fine as long as it is close, if not, secure it with a small zip tie.
claycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #236
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockemRdr
Got a question for you. I decided to go ahead and swap the tanks and I needed a longer line for the vacuum. Kind of a PITA finding a replacement longer one since the only ones I could find were a larger diameter tube (same diameter inside...or at least close) and they don't fit very tight over the nipples. I'm thinking since it is only a vacuum line this won't be a big deal but if anyone thinks otherwise I'll have to try the motorcycle shops in town for the correct size hose. I made sure to get s fuel line so maybe that is the issue...perhaps I could get by with a regular vacuum line???
It is a big deal, a vacuum leak can cause a lean mixture which causes a hotter fire in the cylinder, and potentially a hole in a piston, don't ask me how I know this. Check the routing on the hose. I think the stock ones are metric, and slightly smaller than 1/8th inch vacuum line, but auto zone, checker, or Napa should have something that will work well. You can always put a tiny spring clamp on it, or like Clay said use a zip tie.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 01-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #237
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockemRdr
If it is for vacumn, use a vacumn line instead of fuel lines. Since it is under vacumn, it doesn't have to fit that tight.
When in doubt, zip-tie it!

I was able to just re-use my lines when I put my Clarke tank on, I was lucky that my stuff all ended up about where it started...
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #238
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
It is a big deal, a vacuum leak can cause a lean mixture which causes a hotter fire in the cylinder, and potentially a hole in a piston, don't ask me how I know this. Check the routing on the hose. I think the stock ones are metric, and slightly smaller than 1/8th inch vacuum line, but auto zone, checker, or Napa should have something that will work well. You can always put a tiny spring clamp on it, or like Clay said use a zip tie.
when are we gonna put a new piston in the duck?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #239
Twentyniner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Yeah, I double checked when I got home, and the fuel line was long enough but I needed a new vacuum line since the petcock sits about four inches lower, and the vacuum line plugs in at the top of the carb. The vacuum line I got from checkers seems to be working fine for me though. I've had the tank on for over a year, and so far it's smooth sailing.

Speaking of ducks, I hope this weather blows through soon!
Twentyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 AM   #240
RockemRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info re. the vacuum line guys. I checked all of the auto parts stores in town and they all had the same tube so I may try a vacuum line if I end up having issues. Until then I'll zip tie it.

Separate issue but I noticed that the tank blocks the choke from being pulled out all the way. The bike starts fine when cold so it probably comes out far enough to get the job done.

Jeez -- I need to stop surfing AdvRdr and TT AND fiddling with the bike and get out and ride it.