ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #46
lightfighter
where does this go?
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Sierra Vista AZ.
Oddometer: 2,207
i may be back in rob... probly so, actually. K has to work.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #47
claycraig OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Oddometer: 45
26 Dec Ride

Many thanks to AZ-Twin, Lightfighter, and Twentyniner for a fun ride today. The rest of you missed out. However we cut the ride short after I sprang an oil leak. I was looking forward to exploring High Lonesome Road, maybe next time.

When I got home I found a hairline crack on the crankcase but I should be able to repair it with some high temp gasket maker.

Below is a link to the route we took today..........................

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/21035508

I am still in for next weekends campout ride. Twentyniner said he could check with the ranger station to see if Onion Saddle is open. If anyone doesn't want to camp they can always break off along the way or leave early from the campsite.
claycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #48
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycraig
Many thanks to AZ-Twin, Lightfighter, and Twentyniner for a fun ride today. The rest of you missed out. However we cut the ride short after I sprang an oil leak. I was looking forward to exploring High Lonesome Road, maybe next time.

When I got home I found a hairline crack on the crankcase but I should be able to repair it with some high temp gasket maker.

Below is a link to the route we took today..........................

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/21035508

I am still in for next weekends campout ride. Twentyniner said he could check with the ranger station to see if Onion Saddle is open. If anyone doesn't want to camp they can always break off along the way or leave early from the campsite.
Nice to meet you, It was a good ride, bummer about the cracked case. There were some pretty rough spots though.

The camp out next week sounds fun, freaking cold, but fun. Standing by for more info!

[edit]

a few pics from today





__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT


AZ-Twin screwed with this post 12-26-2009 at 05:37 PM
AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #49
claycraig OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Oddometer: 45
Oil Leak

I found the leak and put some high speed (redneck) gasket sealer on it. I am letting it set overnight before I refill the crankcase with oil because I have another ride with a friend on an atv in the morning (sunday 27 Dec). We shall see, it worked on a previous leak.

If you see a DR650 blowing oil and a Honda Rancher atv on the border roads south of Coronado going toward Nogales around 1100 a.m. that will be us. All are welcome to join but it will be a slow and easy ride with the atv.

Looking forward to details to emerge for next weekends campout ride toward (and possibly over) the Chiricahuas.
claycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #50
lightfighter
where does this go?
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Sierra Vista AZ.
Oddometer: 2,207
good to meet ya clay... good luck on the case, but twin picked up a luggage rack in my 'misc crap to giet rid of' pile and said what the heck is this?... it is a tail rack for a DR, long sold. want it?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #51
claycraig OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Oddometer: 45
Definitely, a rack is on my list of things to get. I will buy it from you. Just let me know when you are free and I will come pick it up. We all need to ride again soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter
good to meet ya clay... good luck on the case, but twin picked up a luggage rack in my 'misc crap to giet rid of' pile and said what the heck is this?... it is a tail rack for a DR, long sold. want it?
claycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #52
lightfighter
where does this go?
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Sierra Vista AZ.
Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycraig
Definitely, a rack is on my list of things to get. I will buy it from you. Just let me know when you are free and I will come pick it up. We all need to ride again soon.
you can have it... i have a small gas tank and need good kharma. i'll pm u my cell.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #53
rawdog
Studly Adventurer
 
rawdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 805
When you said you fixed a case crack with gasket sealer, I thought you had a KLR, until I saw the pics...

Camping next weekend sounds COLD, but fun.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #54
Twentyniner
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 288
Camping Ride: Here's my idea so far.

Meet at the Bisbee Breakfast Club at 8:00 A.M. on the 1st for a pre-ride breakfast. We will then take the Border Road to Douglas, top off with fuel and head east on Geronimo Trail Road(easy gravel), then loop back through Animas to Portal. Those that want to do pavement only can just take Hwy 80 to Portal and meet us there. We can then find a good campsite low on the mountain close to Portal and set up camp. It'll still be cold, but we won't be camping in the snow. Those of us with knobbies or less common sense can then go up the mountain to play in the mud and snow for a while. If Onion Saddle is passable we can return that way in the morning, or alternately take Rucker Canyon to Leslie Canyon back to Douglas.

Thoughts?
Twentyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #55
rawdog
Studly Adventurer
 
rawdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 805
I'm stupid enough to agree to this.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #56
Mark G
Sacrificial Anode
 
Mark G's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Bisbee, Arizona
Oddometer: 144
Hi all - I'm thinking about this. I have a new (to me) KLX250, and I haven't really ridden dirt since about 1973 (you do the math). Do you have a take on what the distance between gas stops is? I'm not currentlly set up to carry extra fuel. And would you mind waiting at the rest stops for the slow guy to catch up?

Thanks

Mark
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #57
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
This may be a good opportunity for me to finally prove I am not a Pu$$y.
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #58
claycraig OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Oddometer: 45
The gasket sealer worked!! I rode 60 miles today along the border and no leaks. However, I dropped the bike going down the mountain at the Coronado Memorial due to some serious ice on the road. Broke my turn signal, tail light and handle bars. I will have it fixed by next weekend for the camping trip though. I am in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog
When you said you fixed a case crack with gasket sealer, I thought you had a KLR, until I saw the pics...

Camping next weekend sounds COLD, but fun.
claycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #59
claycraig OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Oddometer: 45
Fully auto motivation

I went riding on the Border near the Coronado Memorail, Lochiel, and Parker Lake. My friend brought his fully auto rifles so we had some fun. Check out the video. Add a stripper pole and cold beer and it would have been the perfect day:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LohqotaTqII
claycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #60
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty
 
AZ-Twin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycraig
I went riding on the Border near the Coronado Memorail, Lochiel, and Parker Lake. My friend brought his fully auto rifles so we had some fun. Check out the video. Add a stripper pole and cold beer and it would have been the perfect day:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LohqotaTqII
Oh man that is cool!!!
__________________
Rob Swartzwelder, Southern AZ
I'm not real fast, but I do have a dog named Dakar!
97 M900, 07 G650 XChallenge,11 KTM 990 ADV R
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014