ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #616
Twentyniner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Thanks to everyone who showed up to ride!

Also thanks for the help fixing the flat, I'd still be out on GTR pumping away with out Mikes electric pump. BTW the Slime brand pump put enough psi to seat the bead on a sportbike tire at 50+ psi.

Untill the next one, keep the rubber side down!

"Two men can learn more from milking a cat, than they could learn from a fourth, much taller man."
Twentyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #617
Twentyniner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver
It's time to take the big bikes and camping gear out!

Who?: All comers with a street legal dual sport having a minimum fuel range of 150 miles.

What?: A fantastic, scenic ride followed by an overnight camp near Alpine, AZ.

When?: Saturday September 18th. Meet at 8 AM, stands up at 9.

Where?: My house in Willcox, AZ. email kdap@netzero.net subject line "ride rsvp" for directions as I am posting this ride in several locations.

Why?: Because you'll regret missing this one.

How?: The route will have a lot of pavement but will be scenic and interesting. I have replaced as much of the boring sections as possible with either dirt or more interesting slab. The pace will be medium to slow. There will be plenty of stops, so feel free to stop and take pictures without fear of being left behind. All riders should be completely self sufficient. Bring all your own food and drinks. We will have a support vehicle with several coolers to transport food and drinks only but nothing will be provided. Please label anything going in the coolers. Other than that, if it doesn't fit on your bike, it doesn't go.
I'm in for this one. What's thre route? Day two?

"Two men can learn more from milking a cat, than they could learn from a fourth, much taller man."
Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #618
arcticsp2003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
This is the email I got from Keith a week ago when I first inquired about the route. Not sure if he's changed it....

I'm in for this one. Plus no 2 hour preride

-Russ

"Taking 191 from Willcox to Cliffton is pretty straight and boring. So instead we'll be taking mostly dirt roads to Bonita and coming across 266. There we'll shoot across to Tanque(dirt) and take that to Haekel and up to 70. A short spell up 191 will take us to the Black Hills Byway. That will take us on dirt up to Clffton.

The ride from Cliffton to Alpine will follow 191. That's the best pavement ride I have ever been on. Anyone I have talked to who's ridden it agrees. It's a blend of twisty road, elevation changes, manmade and natural scenery to rival anywhere, and the added bonus of hundred foot dropoffs with no guardrail to keep you in check. Inattention can and has killed riders. But...keep your head in the game and you're in for what might be the best ride you've ever been on.

We'll be camping just south of Alpine on FR403. We'll head into Alpine in the morning for fuel and maybe breakfast. Coming back on the same route feels like a different ride taking all the turns backwards."

'09 BMW G650Xcountry
arcticsp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #619
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,238
ill be working... boooo!
lightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #620
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:

Who?: All comers with a street legal dual sport having a minimum fuel range of 150 miles.

Where?: My house in Willcox, AZ. email kdap@netzero.net subject line "ride rsvp" for directions as I am posting this ride in several locations.

How?: The route will have a lot of pavement but will be scenic and interesting. I have replaced as much of the boring sections as possible with either dirt or more interesting slab. The pace will be medium to slow. There will be plenty of stops, so feel free to stop and take pictures without fear of being left behind. All riders should be completely self sufficient. Bring all your own food and drinks. We will have a support vehicle with several coolers to transport food and drinks only but nothing will be provided. Please label anything going in the coolers. Other than that, if it doesn't fit on your bike, it doesn't go.
At this point I am a definite maybe. I just sent you an email.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #621
Twentyniner
Gnarly Adventurer

Sickest singletrack riding ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynGHl...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYNFhO6c8g

Old 09-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #622
lightfighter
where does this go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyniner

I think id prefer to hike that. maybe on the 29er i could manage to control that inner "sideways gravity" feeling, but crap, i'm not even sure that would be enjoyable on a moto.

right at 3 minutes in the second... go ahead and screw that up, you wont need to ride home, thats for sure.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #623
arcticsp2003
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:

I just rode a portion of what I believe is part of the route. Should be a good time.

'09 BMW G650Xcountry
arcticsp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #624
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyniner
I should have taken some dramamine before watching that!
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #625
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Quote:

I got the weekends mixed up, I can't go on this, I am doing the track day this weekend.

Bummer.
2011 North up the CDR

Old 09-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #626
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I got the weekends mixed up, I can't go on this, I am doing the track day this weekend.

Bummer.
Doing a track day is no bummer!
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #627
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

You are correct, missing this ride is a bummer, but the track day will rock!
2011 North up the CDR

Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #628
Crashed Bad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,195
A few us are looking at an Alpine Trip for this weekend. Probably camp at the Divide camp ground. Look for 950 SE and an r1150GS around the Bear Wallow around breakfast time Sat and Sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticsp2003
This is the email I got from Keith a week ago when I first inquired about the route. Not sure if he's changed it....

I'm in for this one. Plus no 2 hour preride

-Russ

"Taking 191 from Willcox to Cliffton is pretty straight and boring. So instead we'll be taking mostly dirt roads to Bonita and coming across 266. There we'll shoot across to Tanque(dirt) and take that to Haekel and up to 70. A short spell up 191 will take us to the Black Hills Byway. That will take us on dirt up to Clffton.

The ride from Cliffton to Alpine will follow 191. That's the best pavement ride I have ever been on. Anyone I have talked to who's ridden it agrees. It's a blend of twisty road, elevation changes, manmade and natural scenery to rival anywhere, and the added bonus of hundred foot dropoffs with no guardrail to keep you in check. Inattention can and has killed riders. But...keep your head in the game and you're in for what might be the best ride you've ever been on.

We'll be camping just south of Alpine on FR403. We'll head into Alpine in the morning for fuel and maybe breakfast. Coming back on the same route feels like a different ride taking all the turns backwards."
Old 09-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #629
lightfighter
where does this go?

im having a garage sale

some stuff aint worth shipping, but since i aint keepin anything with 21/18 wheels, i got tubes, tires, and some misc stuff id like to get a few dollars for and just pass off.

http://lightfighter.smugmug.com/Othe...76963580_EhhBh
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #630
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter
some stuff aint worth shipping, but since i aint keepin anything with 21/18 wheels, i got tubes, tires, and some misc stuff id like to get a few dollars for and just pass off.

http://lightfighter.smugmug.com/Othe...76963580_EhhBh
I hope that cat isn't going up as well!

How much for the front fender bag?
Where does the bag in pic 12 go?
I know I want the front one, might want the other. But I am cheap. The not shipping because of value makes me think I can afford these at least.
The other bags, are they over the seat type bags?
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote