ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #1171
acdfan
day tripper

Oddometer: 132
I am cheap, but I think I have the best of both worlds(for my budget). Dr.Z for flying down dirt roads, and The Bandit(1200S) for flying down the asphalt...while obeying all traffic laws of course. Although I may end up trading the Dr.Z for a used KLR as I get better on the dirt. Dr.Z is good for under 55mph and less than 100 miles. Anything more and its tiring. I think a KLR would get me on some of those longer rides that lightfighter seems to like.(Just would have to find someone with a KLR with under 10K and less than 5 years old who wants a Dr.Z).
Hoping the new brake lines came in today so I can get the Bandit on the road...at least im on my weekend starting tomorrow...unlike lightfighter who has been off all week....
Victor, no worries on the desert daze. I check the thread at least once a day, and i know how plans change....
I really want to get in a ride to Gila Box as well, maybe I will hit that ride on sunday.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #1172
mergatroyd
Loser

Oddometer: 99
Yeah... So anyway, regarding my "reliable" BMW... I am in the market for something a smidge more dirt-worthy. Looks are unimportant, title and engine are.

I'm looking for something capable of the ton (not that I would do the same on the street, I just like a significant margin of error for highway use), but less (preferably significantly) than 400 pounds. My Monster would be perfect if it weren't the perfect streetbike. I just hate picking up the cow, and I hate picking mud out of the duck's cooling fins and oil cooler.

Smokers are ok (I kind of like the idea of the CRF500R). If you hear of anything word of mouth, let me know.
I do hang out on the CL when I have the time, but those people are nuts with the prices. "I have a Chinese Enduro that you can buy brand new for $1k. $2k or best offer"
mergatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #1173
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergatroyd View Post
Yeah... So anyway, regarding my "reliable" BMW... I am in the market for something a smidge more dirt-worthy. Looks are unimportant, title and engine are.

I'm looking for something capable of the ton (not that I would do the same on the street, I just like a significant margin of error for highway use), but less (preferably significantly) than 400 pounds. My Monster would be perfect if it weren't the perfect streetbike. I just hate picking up the cow, and I hate picking mud out of the duck's cooling fins and oil cooler.

Smokers are ok (I kind of like the idea of the CRF500R). If you hear of anything word of mouth, let me know.
I do hang out on the CL when I have the time, but those people are nuts with the prices. "I have a Chinese Enduro that you can buy brand new for $1k. $2k or best offer"

I picked up my XR650L for under 2K. It's a nice bike for what it is and ride it from Benson to SV/Ft. Huachuca a few days a week when it's warm in the morning. No it's not the perfect highway bike and I avoid I-10 like the plague, but it'll hold 70mph for as long as you need it to without running the RPM's too high. Wet weight is something like 360LBS and it's plenty light enough for all but the toughest terrain. Your only issue is going to be if you're short (don't remember how tall you are dude). The seat height is up there. The only thing I can say is you'll want to ditch the tiny gas tank for a bigger one (as I still need to as well).

CMS
cms81586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #1174
mergatroyd
Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
I picked up my XR650L for under 2K. It's a nice bike for what it is and ride it from Benson to SV/Ft. Huachuca a few days a week when it's warm in the morning. No it's not the perfect highway bike and I avoid I-10 like the plague, but it'll hold 70mph for as long as you need it to without running the RPM's too high. Wet weight is something like 360LBS and it's plenty light enough for all but the toughest terrain. Your only issue is going to be if you're short (don't remember how tall you are dude). The seat height is up there. The only thing I can say is you'll want to ditch the tiny gas tank for a bigger one (as I still need to as well).

CMS
Yeah, the XR650 looks like a good option. I also like the looks of a CRF500R (although that might be a bit of a hooligan bike). I generally one-foot the big GS with the Corbin on it. You pretty much nailed the speed thing I am concerned about. I want to be able to ride it to the semi-local dirt, not trailer it... meaning it has to be comfortable doing state highway speeds for an hour or so (in my world ).
Old 03-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #1175
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,179
crf500? like a 450 with a bore kit on it? seems pretty extreme for trail riding. I loved the idea of a 450 class dirtbike... but in two years i demolished two valve trains riding them from SV to the sonoita, bisbee, and tombstone areas really just every other weekend or less. those were KTMs but the service life of a CRF isnt reputed to be any better... it not what they are for.

I regret selling my KTM 690(sort of), and I toy with turning the old airhead project into a XR650 or something cheap and a good mix of dirt/highway capablity(for maybe half what the 690 Enduro cost?)

I gotta ride that airhead first though....

edit: oh, i think you meant the cr500 two stroke... i understand those things to be crazy powerful. but out of production for a while? no?

lightfighter screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 06:28 PM
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #1176
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Yeah, the XR650 looks like a good option. I also like the looks of a CRF500R (although that might be a bit of a hooligan bike). I generally one-foot the big GS with the Corbin on it. You pretty much nailed the speed thing I am concerned about. I want to be able to ride it to the semi-local dirt, not trailer it... meaning it has to be comfortable doing state highway speeds for an hour or so (in my world ).
Flew back to ME a couple days ago, but the DR650 served me well while I was in AZ. My two trips to AZ in Jan and Feb totaled up to four weeks. During that time I put 4k miles on the DR riding everything from single track to slab, including a 4-day run into Baja that covered 1600 miles. What I like about the DR650 is I don't feel like I'm riding a dirt bike when I'm on the street, and I don't feel like I'm riding a street bike when I'm in the dirt. It will cruise all day at 70 mph without any strain, even with a tooth down on the front, and has so much low end grunt it'll go over just about anything.

Hope to get out there one more time before the summer heat. Sure do love the AZ riding! We had 12 inches of snow here today - on March 1st. Fortunately, it won't last and we'll be trail riding here soon.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #1177
mergatroyd
Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post

edit: oh, i think you meant the cr500 two stroke... i understand those things to be crazy powerful. but out of production for a while? no?
That is indeed what I meant. I also understand those things to be massively powerful... hence the draw . Of course they haven't sold them in the states since 2004 or something.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #1178
PrimalScream
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Been so damn busy lately, feel like a ride is in definate order! Anyone planning anything Saturday 03-03?!!? I rode 125 miles last Friday with the rest of the guys l work with...4 Harley's & my KLR. Charleston to Tombstone, Davis road to Hwy 191, into Douglas for lunch at El Burron, then Hwy 80 to Bisbee brew Co, for a beverage in the Bier Garden, through the tunnel & back home. Couldn't help but laugh as I led the pack out of Douglas, how many people wondered why those 4 Harley guys were chasing that poor guy on his KLR!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #1179
mergatroyd
Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalScream View Post
Been so damn busy lately, feel like a ride is in definate order! Anyone planning anything Saturday 03-03?!!? I rode 125 miles last Friday with the rest of the guys l work with...4 Harley's & my KLR. Charleston to Tombstone, Davis road to Hwy 191, into Douglas for lunch at El Burron, then Hwy 80 to Bisbee brew Co, for a beverage in the Bier Garden, through the tunnel & back home. Couldn't help but laugh as I led the pack out of Douglas, how many people wondered why those 4 Harley guys were chasing that poor guy on his KLR!
I can do a road ride and I need to. Where and when are we meeting?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #1180
acdfan
day tripper

im still on for dirt daze, im thinking jackson cabin friday, sibley mansion saturday. If anyone ones to meet up for the rides let me know.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #1181
acdfan
day tripper

apparently english became a second language for me today, i meant "If anyone wants to meet up for the rides let me know"
Old 03-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #1182
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdfan View Post
im still on for dirt daze, im thinking jackson cabin friday, sibley mansion saturday. If anyone ones to meet up for the rides let me know.

From what I understand Sibley is off limits and posted now. Anyone been there recently?

CMS
cms81586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #1183
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalScream View Post
Quote:
I can do a road ride and I need to. Where and when are we meeting?

I can ride Saturday morning.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #1184
mergatroyd
Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushman View Post

I can ride Saturday morning.
I'm in. Where?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #1185