ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #1201
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Unfortunately it looks like I won't be making it, just too much stuff going on to get away.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #1202
acdfan
day tripper

Oddometer: 132
Im heading up friday. I was going to be there early to ride but it looks like I will be up there between 2-4, stupid work interfering with my fun. Friday night for me will be just sitting by the fire relaxing. Saturday has gelled into a ride to reddington pass area. sunday has turned into heading home in the morning.
I don't know what site i'm in yet, but I will be in the caribou truck camper(all white), with a white tacoma and a blue Dr.Z parked there. Probably put "ACDFAN" sign in the truck window....
Chris
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #1203
acdfan
day tripper

im going to try my hardest to get up there early enough to ride to jackson cabin and back, anyone know about how long that trip would take from dragoon?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #1204
acdfan
day tripper

If the ride to jacksons is too long are there any ideas on a shorter ride in the dragoon area?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #1205
advswede1981
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
So when are all of the locals here planning on heading out there? Friday is shot for me...unless it's to come sit by a fire and maybe do a night ride. Sat and Sun are open. Night rides should be fun...although a little chilly. We're up to darn near 100% illum with the full moon so that helps. Temps aren't going to be too bad either...looking like a low of 41* on Sat night into Sun morning and 76* on Sunday.
I'll head up there after work sometime, maybe around 5:30 or so for a few hours just to see whats going on and maybe have a hot dog or two. If you or anyone else wants to ride up together, just re-post, and we'll coordinate a time and place to meet.

'13 Super Tenere
'10 KLR650 (sold)
advswede1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #1206
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 865
Fun to be had............

Quote:
So when are all of the locals here planning on heading out there?

Fridays ride is out for me, although I will be there for Happy hour then back home. Saturdays ride will start at 8:30 AM (raffle or not) Out to Jackson cabin via a new route (no sand) with the afternoon having a few options for the return trip back to the ranch. The standard route is around a hundred miles, the extended route could include another forty or fifty. Then of course Saturday's Happy hour

mntdawg screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 06:29 PM
mntdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #1207
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,169
I doubt I will make it out. I gotta work saturday afternoon. I'm within a days work of finishing the tile in my kitchen, and I want to do that tomorow.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #1208
JustBill
Just Another Rider

Oddometer: 87
Heading down in the am. Looking forward to meeting everyone. JB.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #1209
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdfan View Post
im going to try my hardest to get up there early enough to ride to jackson cabin and back, anyone know about how long that trip would take from dragoon?
This might give you some idea. I headed into Jackson cabin from Casabel Rd at about 1:00 o'clock in the afternoon and made it back to Sierra Vista by 5:30, but I was hauling ass most of the way.

Hope you guys have a great time at Desert Daze . . . temps in the 50's back here in ME and most of the snow is gone already . . . looks like an early spring!
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #1210
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Not sure if I'll make it out there tomorrow evening. I was doing a tire change this evening and discovered 2 broken spokes on the rear wheel. I held off mounting the rear tire until I find out if Cochise Motorsports has any in stock (I doubt it...they never have anything in stock). If not I'm going to mount up the tire tomorrow evening and head out on Saturday. Any issues running with two spokes removed. They're about 40* offset from each other...there'd be one missing, three good spokes, and one more missing. If it'll be okay and Cochise MS don't have any in stock I'll make some rides this weekend. If any of ya'll think that's a bad idea I'll have to miss out...
cms81586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #1211
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Not sure if I'll make it out there tomorrow evening. I was doing a tire change this evening and discovered 2 broken spokes on the rear wheel. I held off mounting the rear tire until I find out if Cochise Motorsports has any in stock (I doubt it...they never have anything in stock). If not I'm going to mount up the tire tomorrow evening and head out on Saturday. Any issues running with two spokes removed. They're about 40* offset from each other...there'd be one missing, three good spokes, and one more missing. If it'll be okay and Cochise MS don't have any in stock I'll make some rides this weekend. If any of ya'll think that's a bad idea I'll have to miss out...
Uh, bad idea. Good way to cause a lot more damage to the bike and rider.
Sometimes a loose sprocket will torque the hub enough to break spokes. You might want to check the bolts.

ybracing screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 04:02 PM
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #1212
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

A little local knowledge help!

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knows what this is in the image below. I plan on passing through here in a couple of weeks with a friend and saw this on Google Earth. This is where Cimaron road changes into Canelo road between Canelo and Fort Huachuca.
Thanks.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #1213
advswede1981
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybracing View Post
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knows what this is in the image below. I plan on passing through here in a couple of weeks with a friend and saw this on Google Earth. This is where Cimaron road changes into Canelo road between Canelo and Fort Huachuca.
Thanks.

What you're looking at is referred to as "West Gate" of Fort Huachuca, the intelligence training center for the US Army, and is the backdoor to the fort so to speak. The break in the road to the left is the vehicle/guard inspection lane that all vehicles must pass through to enter the installation, which is covered. The break to the right is a secondary guard site. West Gate is manned and accessible 24/7, but if you're planning on riding a motorcycle through the fort there are several things you are required to have with you and wear when doing so. I can try to list them all, but they change the rules all the time, so to play is safe just call the MP station at 520-533-3000 and ask them. Good luck

'13 Super Tenere
'10 KLR650 (sold)
advswede1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #1214
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advswede1981 View Post
What you're looking at is referred to as "West Gate" of Fort Huachuca, the intelligence training center for the US Army, and is the backdoor to the fort so to speak. The break in the road to the left is the vehicle/guard inspection lane that all vehicles must pass through to enter the installation, which is covered. The break to the right is a secondary guard site. West Gate is manned and accessible 24/7, but if you're planning on riding a motorcycle through the fort there are several things you are required to have with you and wear when doing so. I can try to list them all, but they change the rules all the time, so to play is safe just call the MP station at 520-533-3000 and ask them. Good luck
I don't really want to ride through the fort if we have to jump through a bunch of hoops. I did not realize it was an active military installation. Are there any decent routes (dirt is always better) around it that you could suggest? We are traveling from Duquesne to Tombstone and beyond. How bad is the route from Lochiel using Montezuma Canyon road heading towards Nicksville?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #1215
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybracing View Post
I don't really want to ride through the fort if we have to jump through a bunch of hoops. I did not realize it was an active military installation. Are there any decent routes (dirt is always better) around it that you could suggest? We are traveling from Duquesne to Tombstone and beyond. How bad is the route from Lochiel using Montezuma Canyon road heading towards Nicksville?
Recently Ft. Huachuca has changed the requirements for entry on a motorcycle. For example you no longer need a MSF card. You d need to be wearing long sleeves, gloves, over the ankle boots, a bright colored jacket, and present some form of ID, for example a valid driver's license to enter. The difficult part will be upper body reflection. You either need a vest, or very bright colored jacket. So if you have boots, gloves, and a high visibility vest, then you are good. Oh, don't be packing heat!

The road you asked about is good, and actually more enjoyable than the path through Ft. Huachuca. It is a pretty ride, all pretty good dirt road as the border patrol spends a lot of time out there.

HTH
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote