ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #1216
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
Recently Ft. Huachuca has changed the requirements for entry on a motorcycle. For example you no longer need a MSF card....
How recent? I rode through 2 or 3 weeks ago and the guard did ask for my MSF card. I always ride ATGATT in hi viz so I can't speak to the other req's.

Dave
Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #1217
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Thanks AZ-Twin,
I like the looks of the southern route better anyways. Dirt is always better!
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #1218
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
How recent? I rode through 2 or 3 weeks ago and the guard did ask for my MSF card. I always ride ATGATT in hi viz so I can't speak to the other req's.

Dave
Longer than 2 or 3 weeks, but all the guards might not be on board. I think it was around the beginning of the year. Changes to gate procedures have been made Army wide from what I understand.

I work on Ft. Huachuca and ride all the time. I have been riding the GSXR lately which has no post sticker, and they have been letting me on with just my driver's licence. I asked at the gate yesterday when I was in my truck, and for cars with no sticker they will let you on with a diver's license, a DOD issued ID was required before.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #1219
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin View Post
...I asked at the gate yesterday when I was in my truck, and for cars with no sticker they will let you on with a diver's license, a DOD issued ID was required before.
Wife and I went through 2 weeks ago in our truck and both of us had to provide a driver's license. I thought it strange that even the passenger had to show ID.

Dave
Old 03-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #1220
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Anyone local need a Fram CH6006 oil filter? Think it went to my '01 R6. Let me know and we can meet. It has both the big and little o-rings...
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #1221
acdfan
day tripper

Oddometer: 132
I went through the main and west gate of ft huachuca about 2-3 weeks ago with no problem, just showed az dl.
talked to someone somewhere up the gate guard food chain and he said just id required, along with reflective vest, over ankle boots, full finger gloves, long pants and long sleeve shirt.
sierra cycles has oxford reflective vests on sale for 20 bucks as of a couple weeks ago, bought one and kinda like it for intermittent use.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #1222
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdfan View Post
I went through the main and west gate of ft huachuca about 2-3 weeks ago with no problem, just showed az dl.
talked to someone somewhere up the gate guard food chain and he said just id required, along with reflective vest, over ankle boots, full finger gloves, long pants and long sleeve shirt.
sierra cycles has oxford reflective vests on sale for 20 bucks as of a couple weeks ago, bought one and kinda like it for intermittent use.
Thanks for the info. I still think we will take the dirt route instead.
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #1223
Xskydiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
I rode out to Jackson Cabin on Firday. The FS has ruined the road. They ran a dozer all the way to the cabin. Everything is covered in loose marbles. All the texture is gone from the road. It might be easier for minivans to pass but they made it suck for us. I'm sure the Jeep guys won't be happy either. This WAS one of the best roads in the county for Jeeps.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #1224
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 932
DSDD fun.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver View Post
I rode out to Jackson Cabin on Firday. The FS has ruined the road. They ran a dozer all the way to the cabin. Everything is covered in loose marbles. All the texture is gone from the road. It might be easier for minivans to pass but they made it suck for us. I'm sure the Jeep guys won't be happy either. This WAS one of the best roads in the county for Jeeps.
My thoughts exactly! I think the hunters who use that unit will be livid.

I had a great day yesterday, beelined out to Jackson with 8 other riders. Before we got to the cabin there was a mechanical issue with one bike. So we lost 2 riders, down to 7 we made it to the cabin. From there 3 riders split right away, the rest of us worked our way over the crap for tread out to Allen flats where 2 more riders wanted to go back to the ranch so we parted again. DK and myself rode on ranch roads west then south back to Dragoon.

Netted 139 miles, only 15 accumulated were assphault, Our dirt run was 121 continuous miles finishing just as the sun dropped behind the mountains.

Had a good time meeting the folks I did.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #1225
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntdawg View Post
My thoughts exactly! I think the hunters who use that unit will be livid.

I had a great day yesterday, beelined out to Jackson with 8 other riders. Before we got to the cabin there was a mechanical issue with one bike. So we lost 2 riders, down to 7 we made it to the cabin. From there 3 riders split right away, the rest of us worked our way over the crap for tread out to Allen flats where 2 more riders wanted to go back to the ranch so we parted again. DK and myself rode on ranch roads west then south back to Dragoon.

Netted 139 miles, only 15 accumulated were assphault, Our dirt run was 121 continuous miles finishing just as the sun dropped behind the mountains.

Had a good time meeting the folks I did.
We probably passed you guys on your way out as we were heading in to Jacksons Cabin. That road was totally screwed up and that made for one of the hardest rides I've done yet on some Trailwings. The last two miles were the worst. Very scenic ride but I wish I would have had the chance to do the ride before they took a dozer to everything. I did get a crack out of the note someone left at the cabin..."Thanks for Fucking up the road!"...
cms81586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #1226
acdfan
day tripper

I remember passing you on the way out, those trailwings are unique looking. even on the Dr.Z i was all over the road, I cant imagine doing the ride on a heavier bike.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #1227
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

It was "interesting"...especially that last hill before the cabin...on both sides. Overall I had a great time though.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #1228
mntdawg
NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer: 932
Quickie after work.........

Finished up work a little early (15:20) today. Needing a smoker fix I kicked the habit again.

A few twists and the shakes were backing off.

Mid week rides help work the work days, out of the mind and body.

I have missed these afternoon jaunts this year having spent a lot of work time in the chity.

Six weeks left, and a big list of two wheel projects to go.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #1229
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Fresh oil & filter, some new spokes, a little wheel truing, a clean and oiled UniFilter, and a new set of handguards. Ready to take on the back country yet again! Heading out for a ride with the wife on Saturday if anyone wants to join us. Probably going to head to Dragoon and then over Middlemarch Pass up to the Abril Mine. The wife isn't a fan of long bouts of high speed travel so I will probably go back the same way. Nothing too fancy just a nice relaxing ride if anyone wants to tag along.

CMS

cms81586 screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 06:01 PM
Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #1230
acdfan
day tripper

What time do you think you will hit montezuma pass?