ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #1261
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Going to be riding the weekend...probably up Middlemarch to check out some mines and then out to Dragoon and around there. If anyone wants to join let me know.

CMS
cms81586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #1262
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
When you riding?
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #1263
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Rode today...will probably do so on Monday again. Took the new quad out today with the wife up to our favorite spot. They were nice enough to put a nice showroom platform up there for us to take a few pics on... Let me know if Monday will work.

CMS
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #1264
Hucker
Lost

Bump. Can't believe this thread fell to page 4.

Gonna ride up into SE Utah from 6/30 thru 7/4. Not sure how much ground I'll cover...just looking to take 191 north and come back AZ-60. Camping each night. Other than that, no real plans. Anyone else riding?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #1265
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Must be getting pretty hot out there. I'll be flying out again next week for a couple more weeks of southwest riding. Hoping to head up to cooler temps in CO if the fire situation isn't too bad by the time I get there.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #1266
Hucker
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
Must be getting pretty hot out there. I'll be flying out again next week for a couple more weeks of southwest riding. Hoping to head up to cooler temps in CO if the fire situation isn't too bad by the time I get there.
Was thinking the same thing, but paying attention to this thread over in Trip Planning: Colorado fires made me rethink my plans. Of course, I read that Utah is also having fire issues. Sounds like mostly up north, though.

And yes, it has been hot.

Need to get back to the mountains.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #1267
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I'm leaving for the Colorado BMW rally second week of July, working midnights now, but do touch base when ur plans tighten up... Maybe we can put something together.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #1268
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Look me up when you get down here. I'm not afraid to ride in some hot weather...and the monsoons should be here soon with make some of the trails a bit more fun.

CMS
Old 06-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #1269
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushman View Post
Was thinking the same thing, but paying attention to this thread over in Trip Planning: Colorado fires made me rethink my plans. Of course, I read that Utah is also having fire issues. Sounds like mostly up north, though.

And yes, it has been hot.

Need to get back to the mountains.
Luckily we're only in Stage II restrictions now. No recreational shooting in the NF...but I guess a few weeks wait is worth not burning the entire place down. It's getting dry here though...here's to hoping for an early monsoon.

CMS
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #1270
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Anyone up for a ride over the 4th of July holiday or following weekend?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #1271
RockemRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Hey Chris. I may be up to a spin around the desert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
RockemRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #1272
Hucker
Lost

Back from my short trip...AZ, NM, CO, and UT. Pics uploading to smugmug now...will post some shortly.

I have to work on Thur/Fri, but have a kitchen pass for the next couple of weekends.. If you're riding, post it up.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #1273
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
I got back into town last Thursday and I've been right out straight since I got here. Lots of riding, and a little hiking. I was originally thinking about heading up to CO for a while, but due to the fires up there I decided to stay here and take day trips. I haven't posted anything up because everything has been a last minute decision. I've been planning the next day's rides late the night before and heading out very early in the mornings to beat the heat and get home before the thunderstorms. I haven't had much time to post up pics, but I got caught up a little on the ride report tonight - more here if you're interested.

Plans with family tomorrow, but should be riding again after that. If I get the chance to plan ahead a little I'll try to post up my plans in case someone would like to join me for a ride. I'll keep an eye out here for other rides that may fit into my schedule. Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride with someone while I'm here. Flying back to Maine next Tuesday.

Got a nice view of a big storm in the valley south of the Huachuca's yesterday. I got out of there just in time.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #1274
Hucker
Lost

Alright, my trip started at the border in Douglas and took me straight up 191. When I got to Safford, it was 105.5 degrees according to the Beemer temp guage.

I stayed north through Morenci:

I thought the Lavendar pit was huge...it's nothing compared to this...

Then it gets pretty nice...I was thinking that the section north of Morenci was Tail-of-the-Dragon meets Skyline Drive, for the East-coasters among us...10-20 mph switchbacks and sweepers. It was beautiful up there.

Found this old horse corral...

...while I was trying to wait out a monsoon up ahead:

Didn't work. Lightning strikes all around. Problem was, according to the GPS, the nearest town was 32 miles back the way I came, or 37 miles the way I was headed. The temp dropped to 53.2 degrees at this point. I stopped here instead:

As I was coming into Alpine, it looked like this:
(The way I came from)

(The way forward)

(The bike )

More shortly.

Hucker screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 10:50 AM
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #1275
Hucker
Lost

My first night, I stayed on the Navajo Reservation by Canyon de Chelly (pronounced Canyon de Shay). The Anasazi have been using this canyon for a couple of years (+/- several thousand).

I met one of the locals at the gas station. Turns out he lives in one of those houses inside the canyon. He told me it was a big honor among his people. He said he was "training" to race "the circuit" on his quad. His training, he said, consists of the "Canyon run," or running the 6 miles of canyon floor in his bare feet. I guess the sand road you see in the pic below is very soft and makes the run difficult. I wish "Jarvis" the best...

A little video I made of the canyon.

Hucker screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 10:36 AM