ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #76
c5babe
Gnarly Adventurer
 
c5babe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: North Woods
Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues View Post
Did someone come up with serious engine tuning for this great bike?
Even something like a new map to smooth out the engine?

BMW 800 GS has the potential of being THE bike.
I road tested it (quite briefly I admit) and the vibration at highway speed is a nuisance.
I am sure it's possible to hoist that engine to the performance level of a KTM 990 without affecting gas consumption.

With its frugality, it's on its way to be the far away adventure bike of choice.
I have 40,000 miles on my F-800. My trusty DR650 is my adventure bike of choice.
__________________
F650GS
DR650

There are four things you can't recover: the stone..after the throw, the word..after it's said,
the occasion..after it's missed and the time ..after it's gone.
_____________________________________________
Been There, Done That, Took Pictures, Retired.
c5babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #77
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettC View Post
I hope this thread is still being used.

I had my bike run on a dyno the other day, it's got a remus exhaust system and an Arrow can. It's making 82.51 HP.

The guy who runs the tuning shop (in Edinburgh) reckons it running very rich at full throttle, and very lean while cruising. I've ordered a PC so he can tidy up the fueling, I'm not looking for more power, I just want it to run well.

I'm a little worried about the fuel consumption increasing, as the tank is soooo small it really needs to be very frugal to be any use.

I'll update once the tuning work has been done. hopefully more torque, the same or better fuel consumtion, and If there's more power too, I won't complain.
Before I let a tuner start playing with the settings on this bike I would read the related threads by Poolside. It pertains to the 1200 GS but it uses the very same system on the F800. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638412

First of all the system is complex and with overlapping functions. Secondly I think it is hardwired or imprinted so the basic function of the software cannot be changed. My laymans understanding, is the basic software is programed so that it responds to sensors elsewhere in the system. That include, air temp sensor, TPS position, altitude and/or oil temp sensors, and finally an oxygen sensor.

You are right about the bike running lean, and the Oxygen sensor will attempt to maintain what ever value BMW programed into the software. Probably 14.7 A/F. What A/F did your tuner feel was lean at steady state?

When the ECU detects a signal from the sensors that indicate a need for a different ratio it will react and increase fuel flow to adjust to condition.
For instance twist the throttle will instruct a richer fuel ratio. You did not say what ratio the tuner is seeing at W/O throttle, but that undoubtedly is what he is seeing. But it is temporary, once load or throttle is reduced the A/F ratio falls back to normal, because eventually the Oxy sensors over rides all other sensors.

There are ways to trick those sensors into giving modified readings to the ECU. That is what the Booster Plug is doing to the temp sensor. But I do not think you can do anything to the base map except remove and replace with something else and probably remove the oxy sensor as well.
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."

itsatdm screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 05:47 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #78
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jscottyk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Before I let a tuner start playing with the settings on this bike I would read the related threads by Poolside. It pertains to the 1200 GS but it uses the very same system on the F800. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638412
itsatdm, did you get one of the first one hundred IICE Air units?
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 PM   #79
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,256
No, I have the Accelerator module installed for some months. I certainly would have considered it, except for the bad timing.

Sounds like the same principal, but with some added adjustability/
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #80
mapa63
Bikerider
 
mapa63's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 31
Hi guys!

Has anyone here actually used a Power Commander V with or without Autotune? I'm primarily interested in making the bike less snatchy. Well, maybe some extra torque at low revs would be nice. Have changed the front sprocket to one tooth smaller.

I've read some of Poolsides write-ups and if I understand it correctly a PCV is a bad idea for the F8GS?

Best regards,
thankful for any info
__________________
Riding a bike is living!

Memories: Kawa W650, BMW K100RS, BMW R100/7, Yamaha XJ600, Husqvarna 250 WR, Triumph TR6 Trophy, Suzuki Stinger 125
mapa63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #81
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 5,324
There are some guys on here who have one and like it, seńormoto is one. Do a search and you'll find his posts.

Why exactly should the PC be a bad idea if tuned right??
__________________
Proud member of the HUSABERG ADVENTURE TEAM!
12 690 Enduro-R, 12 Husaberg FE570, 09 KTM XC-F/ 450 RFS hybrid, 07 KTM 450 SMR, 09 BMW F650GS twin/F800GS hybrid, 03+05 YZF-R6
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #82
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
There are some guys on here who have one and like it, seńormoto is one. Do a search and you'll find his posts.

Why exactly should the PC be a bad idea if tuned right??
I agree..... In reality, I have seen many state that they were going to do this, but none has documented any detail..... Like with or without autotune, dyno runs, before and after mileage. Too many people thinks it is just a matter of bolting the thing on, as the manufacture states in their propaganda. What most dont understand is that it is not just about more gas, and I think that any map enclosed, or written with autotune, will kill the great mpg. the 8GS gets. Only way to do this is with a reputable tuner...... dyno runs before, and after. With autotune, it is a bit easier, as it is more of a set and forget. When I do this, I will have a handlebar switch mounted..... ( I know...I know....another one...right...), and then match the stock map setup for economy, and then with a push of a button....power.
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #83
mapa63
Bikerider
 
mapa63's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 31
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'm considering PCV with Autotune, having one constantly learning map and one more or less zero-map for economy-touring. Not sure if it's worth the effort though. I'm running an Akra with th Dbkiller in place, think it's too loud without it for longer rides. Also have a K&N ready for use.

It would be really interesting to get som mpg-numbers, before and after. I really like the fuel economy. Any thoughts about how much of a mpg-hit one would get?

Best regards,
Mats
__________________
Riding a bike is living!

Memories: Kawa W650, BMW K100RS, BMW R100/7, Yamaha XJ600, Husqvarna 250 WR, Triumph TR6 Trophy, Suzuki Stinger 125
mapa63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #84
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapa63 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'm considering PCV with Autotune, having one constantly learning map and one more or less zero-map for economy-touring. Not sure if it's worth the effort though. I'm running an Akra with th Dbkiller in place, think it's too loud without it for longer rides. Also have a K&N ready for use.

It would be really interesting to get som mpg-numbers, before and after. I really like the fuel economy. Any thoughts about how much of a mpg-hit one would get?

Best regards,
Mats
If you plan on keeping the db killer in, I would suspect that you will see no change in power, as the engine need to accommodate more gas, it needs to flow better. MPG is just a guess.... but 5 mpg decrease in power mode.
Hej paa dej......
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #85
mapa63
Bikerider
 
mapa63's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 31
Tack för svaret Erling!

Maybe the IICE-stuff would be good enough - my main issue is the throttle response when manouevering at low revs in 1st and 2nd gear. More improvement is just a bonus!

I guess that for a real increase of power the cat and the DBkiller would have to go, but then again, we have no Planet B when this one gets too poisoned and I really don't need to disturb my neighbours any more. It's noisy enough when going for longer rides...

Best regards,
Mats P
__________________
Riding a bike is living!

Memories: Kawa W650, BMW K100RS, BMW R100/7, Yamaha XJ600, Husqvarna 250 WR, Triumph TR6 Trophy, Suzuki Stinger 125
mapa63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #86
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapa63 View Post
Tack för svaret Erling!

Maybe the IICE-stuff would be good enough - my main issue is the throttle response when manouevering at low revs in 1st and 2nd gear. More improvement is just a bonus!

I guess that for a real increase of power the cat and the DBkiller would have to go, but then again, we have no Planet B when this one gets too poisoned and I really don't need to disturb my neighbours any more. It's noisy enough when going for longer rides...

Best regards,
Mats P
Yeppers..... I agree..... and know how strict the "Bil og motorcykkel syn" are in Scandinavia. But in reality, if tuned right, i doubt you would pollute much more if any with the cat removed. Remember the FI systems are old and antiquated as compared with automobile systems.....and as far as unburned gasses.... they will occur with the cat in place if you change the a/f towards rich anyway. If memory serves me correct, they will come after you if you remove the cat, if it was installed from the factory. It would be great if you post your effort here, as we all would like to see this......
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #87
mapa63
Bikerider
 
mapa63's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 31
Will keep you posted!

Now i'm checking if the PCV+autotune will work on my F8GS. Bought new in march 2009 but when I checked the VIN it was manufactured in september 2008. And apparently the 2008:s should run a PC3, not a PCV. I didn't know that there was any differences betweeen the 2008 and 2009?!?!

Well, I've put the question to Dynojet. We'll se what the answer is!
__________________
Riding a bike is living!

Memories: Kawa W650, BMW K100RS, BMW R100/7, Yamaha XJ600, Husqvarna 250 WR, Triumph TR6 Trophy, Suzuki Stinger 125
mapa63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #88
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapa63 View Post
Will keep you posted!

Now i'm checking if the PCV+autotune will work on my F8GS. Bought new in march 2009 but when I checked the VIN it was manufactured in september 2008. And apparently the 2008:s should run a PC3, not a PCV. I didn't know that there was any differences betweeen the 2008 and 2009?!?!

Well, I've put the question to Dynojet. We'll se what the answer is!
That mostly is just a ordering boof....... They should take the same unit. That's how it goes many times when manufactures set's up internet ordering...... Bike is same.....
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #89
Magoo_s Madness
Adventurer
 
Magoo_s Madness's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: happy rock
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapa63 View Post
Hi guys!

Has anyone here actually used a Power Commander V with or without Autotune? I'm primarily interested in making the bike less snatchy. Well, maybe some extra torque at low revs would be nice. Have changed the front sprocket to one tooth smaller.

I've read some of Poolsides write-ups and if I understand it correctly a PCV is a bad idea for the F8GS?

Best regards,
thankful for any info

Hiya , yeah I have both , tho am thinking about taking the auto tune off and getting the bike dyno'd , adding the power commander was one of the best mods I have done . Previously I had done a booster plug was better but the difference with on the F8 with the pCV was immense , makes it a really nice bike to ride .
Cheeers
Magoo
__________________
ya never never know , if ya never never go
Magoo_s Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #90
mapa63
Bikerider
 
mapa63's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 31
Interesting!

What happened to your mpg? Can you still ride the bike and get low fuel consumption? Of course the consumption depends on your driving manners, but if the Autotune enriches the mixture on most rev's, you could get a lot higher consumption....

What kind of exhaust and airfilters do you use?

Best regards,
Mats
__________________
Riding a bike is living!

Memories: Kawa W650, BMW K100RS, BMW R100/7, Yamaha XJ600, Husqvarna 250 WR, Triumph TR6 Trophy, Suzuki Stinger 125
mapa63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014