Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #121
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,729
I don't think it will work. The cams are not the only difference, ignition timing comes into play. Can the Power Commander change that?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #122
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I don't think it will work. The cams are not the only difference, ignition timing comes into play. Can the Power Commander change that?
The pc-5 can do ignition advancing, weather or not it is active in the 8gs app..... I don't know. If it is active, I would be very careful, and go easy, as it can be an easy way to damage the engine.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #123
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
The pc-5 can do ignition advancing, weather or not it is active in the 8gs app..... I don't know. If it is active, I would be very careful, and go easy, as it can be an easy way to damage the engine.
No it can't, you need an extra ignition module for that and that's not available for the 800 BMWs. Not from any other manufacturer either.

That being said, if you can control fuel you should be able to get most of the performance of the F800GS if you switch to those cams. People do much more radical mods than a set of cams and run the same ignition map on other engines.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #124
betasigscoot
Palaverer

Oddometer: 151
It's a $100 experiment that I've been wanting to test (that shouldn't turn into a $1000 failed experiment), and I won't be pushing it. I can always take the cams off and still have the PC-V.
betasigscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #125
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
No it can't, you need an extra ignition module for that and that's not available for the 800 BMWs. Not from any other manufacturer either.

That being said, if you can control fuel you should be able to get most of the performance of the F800GS if you switch to those cams. People do much more radical mods than a set of cams and run the same ignition map on other engines.
Well.......

As I said... The PC-5 does come with it, but I am not sure of the 8GS app.

Erling
Old 10-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #126
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Edit: Erling's partially right, they added ignition to a few models, but the ignition box V is also available as an add-on.

Both are irrelevant for us unfortunately because neither is available for our BMW twins.

LukasM screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 04:03 PM
Old 10-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #127
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Lukas..... It really doesn't matter, as we most likely will enjoy a beer together in the end.....as you correctly stated that it is not active on the 8GS.......Cheers....

Erling
Old 10-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #128
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Lukas..... It really doesn't matter, as we most likely will enjoy a beer together in the end.....as you correctly stated that it is not active on the 8GS.......Cheers....
Sure thing mate, and I made a mistake that I corrected above.

I was also talking to Dimsport who makes the Rapid Bike boxes, and they offer ignition control for several other BMW models. Unfortunately they didn't feel there was enough demand for the K72, maybe they would change their mind if enough people contact them?

A big weakness of the 800 twin for traveling is that it doesn't even have a knock sensor even though it runs a high compression ratio. This has cost more than one person their engines as we found out on the forum....

Sure would be nice to have a "bad gas map" that would retard timing enough to eliminate any chance of detonation, and one for optimal power when you know the gas is good.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #129
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I was also talking to Dimsport who makes the Rapid Bike boxes, and they offer ignition control for several other BMW models. Unfortunately they didn't feel there was enough demand for the K72, maybe they would change their mind if enough people contact them?

A big weakness of the 800 twin for traveling is that it doesn't even have a knock sensor even though it runs a high compression ratio. This has cost more than one person their engines as we found out on the forum....

Sure would be nice to have a "bad gas map" that would retard timing enough to eliminate any chance of detonation, and one for optimal power when you know the gas is good.
I salute you amigo, and agree. It would be fantastic to, if nothing else, be able to retard the timing a little, for detonation prevention..... Wishful thinking, as I am never certain what octane the filler before me have pulled through the lines....... I most likely get the first hosefull on 86, before it is purged to 91 ( highest available in the US).

Erling
Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #130
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:

Do I need to do some business convincing again??

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #131
betasigscoot
Palaverer

It works

Holy shnikes! I just finished installing the F800S cams, and the thing works! No knocking, no backfiring, no drama, except for a bit of excitement on my part . The exhaust note is more crisp, and the only problem so far is the bike is quite a bit louder. I was hoping BMW based the timing off the cams, and so far it looks that way. Video to come...
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #132
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by betasigscoot View Post
Holy shnikes! I just finished installing the F800S cams, and the thing works! No knocking, no backfiring, no drama, except for a bit of excitement on my part . The exhaust note is more crisp, and the only problem so far is the bike is quite a bit louder. I was hoping BMW based the timing off the cams, and so far it looks that way. Video to come...
Ha ha..... That is fantastic. Yes, as you get cams that has a more aggressive lobe, the valves will stay open longer, and yeppers..... more fuel and air burned, thus louder. Be interesting to hear after a few rides.....to see how well the FI adjust.
Well done......

Erling
Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #133
betasigscoot
Palaverer

My garage has terrible lighting, so it's hard to see much. I'll get another video up sometime. I just finished up about an hour ago. While working on the motor, I made the biggest mistake dropping one of the shims, so I took apart a bunch of other stuff, only to find it still in the head . I should have fished around with the magnet more.

Edit: for this to work well, I DO need a different fuel map.

betasigscoot screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 10:06 PM Reason: updated
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #134
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
No, I do not expect an Ignition Module to become available for the F800GS anytime soon, if ever.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Chris Kelly
Dynojet Research Inc.
2191 Mendenhall Dr. Suite 105
North Las Vegas, NV 89081
1-800-992-4993
per power commander
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #135
WooHoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Question on PCV at altitude

Reviving an old thread with a new question hoping to get some thought/advice/confirmation...
I recently bought a 2010 F800GS fitted by the PO with a PowerCommander V, straight-through exhaust and K&N airfilter. (NB - There is no AutoTune and the exhaust oxygen sensor has a bung in it for the PCV which is sort of visible in the below crappy photo).

The salesperson told me it had been Dyno tuned by the PO, and I have no reason to doubt him as the bike runs great, very strong and smooth off-idle and pulls well through the rev range. Sounds nice too.

I suspect it runs a bit richer than stock, as one would expect if it had been dynoed to offset the opening up of the intake and exhaust and to combat the OEM emission settings.

Now, I have a big (35,000km) trip planned next year which includes a run up the Chong pass in Kyrgystan at 3800m (1250ft).

I fear at that altitude the bike will be WAY too rich to run properly and I do not want to take a laptop to recalibrate the PCV.

I think I only have two options, remove the PCV and go back to stock, or go the AutoTune route.

Am I on the right track here?

If I can also ask, if I go stock I think I risk getting an overly lean condition with the other engine modifications, this'll likely exacerbate the jerky off-idle transition and be bummer overall to lose that sweet, smooth power. (I know there are alternative cures for this but I am getting sick of fiddling).

So... looks like I have to pull the wallet out for the AutoTune.

....maybe I just answered my own question...?

WooHoo screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 09:43 PM
WooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote