Oddometer: 1,204
Interesting

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:19 AM   #32
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,110

cool pic

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #33
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,777
Nice work fellas!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #34
ArcticRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Roses

Moto wrote, "Have you ever heard the term stop and smell the roses?"

Moto, that sentiment usually kicks in about week 3, doesn't it?

The worst example of rushing through a journey were those two British knuckleheads on their 1200GS's. You know, the Jedi guy. It was painful reading that book of theirs, "Long Way Round", it discussed almost nothing useful about the bikes, or the challenges of the route, but was only about the tantrums and tensions between the crew. They sounded like a bunch of ladies.

Atleast the two hombres in this thread are chasing skirts and not wearing them.
ArcticRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #35
tiernan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
ride-report movie...

The movie, as we picture it now, is about traveling. There's the story off Matt and I's trip to Rio, which holds together some plot and a loose structure with a beginning, middle, and end. Along the way we're meeting other travelers, and interviewing them, and exploring the idea of traveling in different capacities- there's motorcycle adventure riders, there's the hostel circuit with young people looking for good hookup spots in nice places, there's people down here who showed up and didn't leave, there's travelers who are in their homes we meet on couchsurfing... Anyhow, you get the idea. When we were thinking on what the movie would be about months ago, we looked on netflix for "travel documentary", and didn't really find much. I think we might fill a gap there... And hook up with chicks, and miss the best parts of the ride to get to the best party. But we can always come back. Both of us just bought houses, I only lived in mine for 5 days before leaving on this trip! My first mortgage payment was made the day I had to cancel my credit card when my wallet was stolen and I lost $200. I just realized the other day that I forgot to budget the return from Rio, our camera operators flight to/from Rio, and top that off with this flight to Santiago, and I'm $4500 deeper in credit card debt than I'd anticipated. If I could, I'd turn back from Rio and see everything I'll have missed by then, but I am too responsible for my finances. My parents don't have money. If enough people buy this DVD, maybe part 2 will be paid for by other than my savings from unemployment compensation benefits! Haha, it's funny cause it's true... Ah, America.

Anyway, we're in Panama, just packaged the bikes for Santiago, and here's the poop:

We went to Girag, and talked to the very helpful and knowledgeable Luz. She turned us on to a company called Cargo Lux, who packed and will ship our bikes for $1350 each. They boned us a little on the packing since they measured the pallets and not the bikes, and for simplicity stuck two pallets together thus charging us for much more volume than we actually had.
I never actually saw a sign for Cargo Lux, and it appears all these companies are in cahoots... The office I did the paperwork in was called Aeroexpress, and they're located right near Girag in the Cargo Terminal office building. Everyone in the building was extremely helpful and pleasant, although nobody spoke a lick of English so good luck to the slackers!

Aeroexpress: T 507.238.3566
E: imontalban@aeroexpress.net

Copa isn't currently shipping. Rates for Girag are as follows:

Panama to Bogata: $901
Panama to Quito: $1901

Tiernan
Old 01-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #36
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Im in on this one!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #37
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
This report is great.
How did you get the DRZ fixed? It sounded like it was about to die somewhere in Mexico??
Old 01-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #38
tiernan OP
Adventurer

Matt's DRZ problems

That was an odd one, and there were several stages of fixes until finding the real problem:
His headlight died about the same time as it was spuddering and backfiring, so we figured there was a good chance it was his stator. We noticed his exhaust was leaking really bad though, and sealed that. Also noticed his throttle cable nuts were completely off, and tightened those guys. Then we rewired his headlight, which had loose connections and exposed wires grounding. So now his bike runs a little better, and the headlight is working. Then one day Mateo dropped his bike, and it just started running properly. Erm, that was good enough for me!
When we're at the Panamanian border, I'm dealing with Migracion while Matt greases our chains, and notices that since he doesn't have a front sprocket cover, his chain has been chewing away at the wiring which goes in/out of the stator (i think). He fidgets with it for a minute to inspect, then his bike isn't starting at all. So, without investigating too much what these wires are and where they go, he just takes some extra wire from my bike (clutch safety switch), and replaces the corroded wiring there and zipties it up so it doesn't happen again. Bike starts and runs fine now.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #39
tiernan OP
Adventurer

repost AMERICA CENTRAL part 2

I went over the free bandwidth limit on photobucket, so I figured I at least repost the newest blog using Picasa. So much work...

Here's the end of AMERICA CENTRAL:

The next day we experience our first river crossings, which go smoothly other than the fact that I lose one of my sneakers. I really liked those… oh well, at least I still have one to dry the foot which was submerged in one of the crossings. Holy shit it was deep for a minute, I must have hit a rut because my foot was on the peg and it filled my Joe Rocket boot.

From America Central

Anyhow, great day of riding, we should have stayed another day and really gone into the park. By now though we’re in a hurry to get to Panama City and make plans to get to South America.

From America Central

From America Central

From America Central

“Why!” (talking about my shoe)(and I’m running out of meth)

We leave after taking a lunch and 360 degree timelapse from a summit overlooking the peninsula, and make it across the Panamanian border at night. While I do the stamps out of Costa Rica Matt lubes the chains and discovers that his chain has been tearing apart the wiring going in/out of the stator (I think). After a bit of fiddling now his bike won’t start, and he literally pushes it across the border to the Panama side. Acting as the good friend that I am, I make sure to get some video of the situation.

From America Central

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It’s hard to focus shooting video on a DSLR.

We stop at the first hotel we can find, which is about an hour and a half in and seven miles off the main road. It’s $55, but we talk them down to $45, and stay just because we’re tired. Turns out there’s A/C, and the place is run by the German couple from Super Troopers. In the morning we’re fed a five star breakfast (included), by the wife who’s listening to techno at daybreak. Hands down the best breakfast so far.

The entrance to Panama City is great, we take a huge bridge over the mouth of the canal, then see the shoreline view of the city, which seems to be mostly high rise condos. We find a hostel, but there’s nobody working there so we stay for a half hour and use their internet to find another. The street signs are hard to read, and the one way road system (where not every other road is a different direction), is tough but we find the place, which is full. We stay in a pension that’s got singles with hot water for $15/night each. The next day we holler at a couchsurfer, who agrees to take us shopping for my new sneakers. She’s not sure about the helmet law so we ride for two minutes until the police stop us. They talk with us for a half hour, just waiting until we offer money. They point out if we have a ticket we can’t leave the country, it’s illegal, I have no paperwork on me, they could impound the bikes… I tell them that I’ve only ridden with people on the back where helmet’s aren’t required for the passengers. He tells me that’s not true, they’re required everywhere in the world as he looks at Matt’s Colorado license (no helmet law there). Who’s got more credibility here? The guy with the gun. Our couchsurfing host talks them out of it, we go to the mall then move our things to her place. Jeannett has graciously offered us to stay at her high rise apartment in San Fransisco as long as we need.

From America Central

I write overlooking Panama City right now.

From America Central

We keep changing our minds what we’ll do. The original plan was take a boat to Columbia, and follow through Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Brazil. The looking on Horizons Unlimited I found people had flown to Lima, Peru. This would save us time, since we’re about 10 days behind schedule of where we though we’d be. The we met Steve here in Panama who suggested we fly to Bogata, then shoot through Venezuela and jump on a boat down the Amazon, which would be fastest. Then looking at the maps, we’re not so sure if it would be as fast for us as he’d predicted. We head to the Tocumen airport to find out what our options really are, today. Copa isn’t shipping bikes right now, and Girag only goes to Ecuador and Colulmbia, which cost $1900 and $900 per bike. But there’s a company called Cargo Lux that ships to Santiago Chile for $895! Deal. Next flight is Monday, so in the meantime we’ll try to use the big city for what it’s worth: Manfrotto parts, Mac laptop repair, nightlife, couchsurfing meetups, international shipping... Perhaps a quick trip to the San Blas islands?

From America Central
Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #40
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,125
Love the report and make sure you stay safe.

But, you are on umemployment and you just bought a house? I hate what this country is turning into.

Lou

[2009 KTM 250 XCW(e)]

[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #41
ArcticRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlou

But, you are on umemployment and you just bought a house? I hate what this country is turning into.

Lou
Lou,
They live in Vegas...you can buy a house there for a few hundred bucks ever since the crash.

The part of the post that bothered me was the reference to "running out of meth". Tell me you were joking guys about doing meth. That shit is not cool.

BTW, if anyone else is following this thread and on the road south, there is an excellent quality steel shipping crate for sale in Panama. Its on Craigslist, motos.
ArcticRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #42
tiernan OP
Adventurer

what's unemployment without some meth?

Unemployment- okay, at least we're hating the game and not the player here...

Meth- yes a joke, as a skinny guy i'm always looking for ways to shed light upon my physique...

Chile is freakin great, I was getting tired of the third world to be honest... Can't wait to write up another blog.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #43
flyde
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
So WHats the happening fellas??

Ill try and get a pic up of when you were at work on this venture. Hope your enjoying some hassle free adventure riding!! Im expecting my bike parts on Monday
Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #44
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,474

Man, you need to load up on Protein. Those arms look like two warts on rubber bands! (just kidding)
Old 01-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #45
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiernan
as a skinny guy i'm always looking for ways to shed light upon my physique....

Been awhile since anyone has called me skinny..

Keep this trip report coming....Good stuff
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote