Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,437
Always kept clean....

Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #17
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,261
I'd rather buy any of the bikes shown rather than one that has sat around and provided a home for mice.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #18
BrianK
F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish
There has been more written on the interwebs about airhead's then any other bike out there...However there is no one single source
But rather a bunch of sources spread across thousands of webpages.
You need more information than this?

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/techindex.htm
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
The Raven OP
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Well,
I got in touch with whitehorse press and proposed that I make up an R80g/s buyers guide. I figured that I will be doing the work anyways so perhaps I can get it published.

I am getting worried though, the prices are getting inflated from what I'm seeing hopefully they will still be reasonable in a couple months or I'll just be sticking with the KLR for another year....

The Raven screwed with this post 12-25-2009 at 02:52 PM
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
mark1976
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I saw an R80GS this year and thought it was one of the coolest bikes I have ever seen. I have been looking around for one, and was surprised to find two themes: the ones for sale don't seem to sell very fast, and the ones f/s by shops are really expensive; I've seen a low miles '85 priced at $11,700.

Is this insane or are these bikes in good shape worth this kind of money? Any insight is appreciated. BTW it also seems that many who own these bikes have no inclination to part with them.
mark1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #21
The Raven OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1976
I saw an R80GS this year and thought it was one of the coolest bikes I have ever seen. I have been looking around for one, and was surprised to find two themes: the ones for sale don't seem to sell very fast, and the ones f/s by shops are really expensive; I've seen a low miles '85 priced at $11,700.

Is this insane or are these bikes in good shape worth this kind of money? Any insight is appreciated. BTW it also seems that many who own these bikes have no inclination to part with them.
I have been looking at these bikes since september.

That is pretty much what I have seen too, the shops think they have gold, those who have them know they are great bikes, and then you have the unscrupulous who list and sell the bikes for way too much money.

Then of course there are the truly evil ones who over modernize the bike and make them no better than a computerized oil-head and think the bike is "better". Those who pay a premium for such bikes frig with the real world value and the pricing.

Nope the G/S is a great bike out of the factory, those who restore them to OE specs, with the only upgrades being necessary (shocks, tires, brakes, etc) are the true saviors of these bikes, and command my deepest respect.

Once I get the tax return, I will be paying cash for the next decent original example I see.

The Raven screwed with this post 12-25-2009 at 03:27 PM
Old 12-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #22
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
those who restore them to OE specs, with the only upgrades being necessary (shocks, tires, chains, etc) are the true saviors of these bikes, and command my deepest respect.
you may want to substitute this for brakes
Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #23
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK
Really, who is going to wade through that to figure out a purchase decision? A real buyer's guide is a good idea but it's probably been done WAY better than we'd get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Well, I got in touch with whitehorse press and proposed that I make up an R80g/s buyers guide. ...
...Nope the G/S is a great bike out of the factory, those who restore them to OE specs, with the only upgrades being necessary (shocks, tires, chains, etc) are the true saviors of these bikes, and command my deepest respect.
That doesn't seem like a very valuable buyer's guide in the making. Many bikes that have been used have been modified. Some mods are good, some bad, well done, poorly done, reversible or not, it's not that simple to describe. The G/S was NOT necessarily a great bike from the factory. Later ones needed the circlip, most or all of them had crappy coils, etc.

They're all about 25 years old. If you're just going to say, "Hold out for an unmolested original" you should drop the idea now.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #24
The Raven OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
you may want to substitute this for brakes
Old 12-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #25
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,419
Yeah stay away from mine too..

No but really squish had some good points. Mine showed 94K on it when I bought it. I was a little worried at first due to mileage, but I road it and all seemed in good condition, ran well,shifted fine. IT had some splices in the wiring, but had another harness w/ it. Over the past year I've gone through it and not dissapointed in it, I've done the work on it myself, not the tranny rebuild, but other things.

Latter years of the G/S are better upgraded valve seats, starts in 84 I believe, then there is the tranny circlip, it'd be good if both have been done. Valve job, not that expensive (about 600 parts and labor). Store indoors would be good, but look for regular maintenance, either by the dealer or a competent enthusiast..

I'd be leary of a cobbled together bike.

I few months ago Gunther Wurst out of Fredricksburg Indiana told me of a G/S that he knew of that was for sale...a nice one. Don't know if it's still available.

If interested I'll look for his contact info, I can't find it right now
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #26
mark1976
Gnarly Adventurer

Does any one have experience with Emerson Motor Works in Vermont? They specialize in airheads and have several GS bikes for sale- any opinions?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #27
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK

YES
Old 12-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #28
The Raven OP
Banned

Quote:
Does any one have experience with Emerson Motor Works in Vermont? They specialize in airheads and have several GS bikes for sale- any opinions?
From what I heard they have all the stuff for sale.....if you want to pay for it. In other words, if you want to pay enough they'll sell you anything.

I'm a half day from them, but not going to pay their prices. If of course they even return your email. I emailed about a sidecar question and they never responded.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #29
mark1976
Gnarly Adventurer

Well thanks - you probably saved me a lot of trouble. I had the impression that they were rather proud of their stuff based upon the listed prices. I am still trying to understand the market for these things. On the technical side, though, I just ordered a couple of books to help with researching them.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #30
The Raven OP
Banned

Quote:
Well thanks - you probably saved me a lot of trouble. I had the impression that they were rather proud of their stuff based upon the listed prices. I am still trying to understand the market for these things. On the technical side, though, I just ordered a couple of books to help with researching them.

If one of them is Greg Frasiers GSing around the world let me know how you like it..I read his AK guidebook and wasn't impressed.