ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #14581
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by beantop View Post
Maybe it's my limp wristed breaking style.....
Or my limp wristed riding style.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #14582
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Why are the front and rear brakes linked?
n00bs

Not you BMW riders
Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #14583
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,543
Can they be separated from each other?
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #14584
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Can they be separated from each other?
No

I'm not sure if they are still linked when the ABS is deactivated.
I could never tell but it feels like they are.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #14585
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,512
Plus for tenere if you hit the rear first they are not until you use the front
BroncoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #14586
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoDave View Post
Plus for tenere if you hit the rear first they are not until you use the front
I think BMW is only linked when you use the front lever. The rear pedal is rear brake only.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #14587
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I think BMW is only linked when you use the front lever. The rear pedal is rear brake only.
That would make sense. I was just thinking that it would suck to have linked brakes on dirt/gravel since there are times when you don't want to use the front brake.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #14588
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Quote:
Correct.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #14589
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
That would make sense. I was just thinking that it would suck to have linked brakes on dirt/gravel since there are times when you don't want to use the front brake.
I rode exclusively dirt for many years. The rear brakes always out lasted the front brakes in a ratio of 1 to 2.. there is never a point you don't use the front brake, you only use less of it. Keep in mind, while braking, something like 70% of the bike weight transfers to the front wheel, which only helps it stick better.

On my BMW I use front all the time, with ABS on, on the dirt and stone roads, and the ABS kicks in all the time, After you get used to it, the ABS makes you lazy, you no longer need to worry about applying too much front brake, the ABS takes care of it for you

I don't know for sure, but I think I have felt the Front ABS kicking in while the rear was not, and vise versa. I think it only has 1 pump, so not sure if it really can work that way, but sometimes it feels like that's true.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #14590
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:
I rode exclusively dirt for many years. The rear brakes always out lasted the front brakes in a ratio of 1 to 2.. there is never a point you don't use the front brake, you only use less of it Keep in mind, while breaking, something like 70% of the bike weight transfers to the front wheel, which only helps it stick better.

On my BMW I use front all the time, with ABS on, on the dirt and stone roads, and the ABS kicks in all the time, After you get used to it, the ABS makes you lazy, you no longer need to worry about applying too much front brake, the ABS takes care of it for you

I don't know for sure, but I think I have felt the Front ABS kicking in while the rear was not, and vise versa. I think it only has 1 pump, so not sure if it really can work that way, but sometimes it feels like that's true.
I guess this is personal preference to a point. 99% of the time on dirt or gravel I'll use both brakes, but there are times when I only want to use the rear... Then again, I've never claimed to be good at riding on dirt or gravel... or pavement.

It's funny though, I always go through rear pads way faster than fronts on my street bikes where I definitely use the front brakes way more than the rears.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #14591
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Quote:
I rode exclusively dirt for many years. The rear brakes always out lasted the front brakes in a ratio of 1 to 2.. there is never a point you don't use the front brake, you only use less of it Keep in mind, while breaking, something like 70% of the bike weight transfers to the front wheel, which only helps it stick better.
Funny,I raced off road many years and never had rears outlast fronts.
As a matter of fact,I've changed rear pads at re-sets and know controls during competition.

I also used the rear brake to turn in tight stuff.
Rely on the front to do 70% percent of your braking in the dirt and that's exactly where you'll end up.

It's true on Tarmac but not dirt.

Quote:

When I first got into "road" riding I left my ABS on the first time on gravel with your thought being my logic.

Never ever again.

The first time I tried to stop quickly the ABS just pulsed and I had no brakes,almost binning into a culvert pipe.

I would not suggest riding gravel with ABS on to anyone.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #14592
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,512
The yamy werks damn good on dirt IMO much better than BMW at least the old ones
BroncoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #14593
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Funny,I raced off road many years and never had rears outlast fronts.
As a matter of fact,I've changed rear pads at re-sets and know controls during competition.

I also used the rear brake to turn in tight stuff.
Yes I had that same thing on 2 smokes, but most of the time I road big 4 strokes with major engine braking (some of them you lock the rear wheel they stall, and it takes you 5 minutes to restart them ) But again, its just riding style. Of course I was never an A rider either
I have ridden with guys who are fast as hell and never sit down, and I have ridden with guys even faster who never get out of the seat. Its all in your stile and what works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
When I first got into "road" riding I left my ABS on the first time on gravel with your thought being my logic.

Never ever again.

The first time I tried to stop quickly the ABS just pulsed and I had no brakes,almost binning into a culvert pipe.

I would not suggest riding gravel with ABS on to anyone.
yes I have experienced that, but got past it, I just apply the brakes even harder once it starts to vibrate. Now the BMW does pulse them pretty quick. the alternative might be the front locks and tosses you over the corner as it goes down. Again, just different riding styles.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #14594
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Quote:
Yes I had that same thing on 2 smokes, but most of the time I road big 4 strokes with major engine braking (some of them you lock the rear wheel they stall, and it takes you 5 minutes to restart them ) But again, its just riding style. Of course I was never an A rider either
I have ridden with guys who are fast as hell and never sit down, and I have ridden with guys even faster who never get out of the seat. Its all in your stile and what works for you.
True enough.

By the way,I was a sit down rider.

Quote:

yes I have experienced that, but got past it, I just apply the brakes even harder once it starts to vibrate. Now the BMW does pulse them pretty quick. the alternative might be the front locks and tosses you over the corner as it goes down. Again, just different riding styles.
I have the old ABS '05.
You're 800 must be much better off road.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #14595
Jeff B
Socially Awkward

Oddometer: 5,543
I think those generalizations about braking percentages are somewhat of a moving target, considering how much modulation comes into play.

And anyone who thinks of themselves of a stand up or sit down rider in the dirt prolly has not followed themselves. Most are far more transitional than they realize.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote