ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
KINGS of the WEST: Motorcycle Tour and Campout

This Riding And Camping Event Has TWO Spots Open!
This is not an ADvrider sanctioned event.

The IN list: Only 35 riders will be allowed to keep this manageable.

Riders:
  1. Trailtrick (Javier) Some sort of KTM, I'm sure...................................$PAID IN FULL
  2. Razr (Charles) KLR 650............................................... ....................$Dep Paid
  3. Punkenduro (Pat) Kawi KLX250
  4. Herrhelmet (Jim) BMW Dakar WP'd.............................................. ... ..$Dep Paid
  5. Me (Rob) BMW Yamakar........................................... .......................$Dep Paid
  6. FORE! (Scott) KTM 950 SE-R............................... New Mexico.............$Dep Paid
  7. Johnny_5 (Megan) KTM 690................................Arizona...................$Dep Paid
  8. BouncingBilly (Billy) Yamaha 450............................................... ........$Dep Paid
  9. Hilslamer (Tim).KTM 990 A.............................Arizona.....................$Dep Paid
  10. Brent347 (?Brent?) KTM 660 Rallye............................................ ........$Dep Paid
  11. Traveltoad (Aaron) KTM 950 SE.................................................. ........$Dep Paid
  12. Dunerat (Noel) KTM 950 SE ???............................................... ..........$Dep Paid
  13. Mattomoto (Matt) BMW Yamakar .......................COLORADO!!!............$Dep Paid
  14. Toast KTM 690R.............................................. ............................$Dep Paid
  15. Baja Joe (Joe) Honda XR650R............................................ ...............$Dep Paid
  16. Wachs XR650 R..................................Oregon................................$Dep Paid
  17. Sandrat KTM 690R...........................................New Mexico!!............$Dep Paid
  18. Regulator (Duane) Either an XR400R or CRF 450X.................................$Dep Paid
  19. Broken Spoke (Gary) KTM 530............................................... ..........$Dep Paid
  20. Nowwhat (Mike) Husaberg FE570............................................. .........$Dep Paid
  21. WallyWhirled Husky TE610............................................. .................$Dep Paid
  22. Crawdaddy (Chris) Yamaha WR250R............................................ .....$Dep Paid
  23. CptRon (Ron)???............................................... ............................$Dep Paid
  24. Berolina (Anders)???............................................... .....................$Dep Paid
  25. Never.Ride KTM 450.................................COLORADO !!!.................$Dep Paid
  26. Strega (Roger) KTM 620 Adv............................................... ............$Dep Paid
  27. Trick17 ??? KTM 950A.............................................. ......................$Dep Paid
  28. Rruugger (John) KTM 640A.............................................. ........$PAID IN FULL
  29. SITO (Lewis) KTM 690............................................... .....................$Dep Paid
  30. CA Stu (Stu) KLR 650............................................... ......................$Dep Paid
  31. Yzlvr (Eric) Yamaha WR250F............................................ ................$Dep Paid
  32. Sandrat Dad KTM 950 SE-R............................New Mexico!!!..............$Dep Paid
  33. Cross-Country (Tony) KTM 950SE-R..................NEW MEXICO!!! ..........$Dep Paid
Rider Waiting List:

OPEN

Support:
  1. Airborndad (Keith)................confirmed
  2. Spafxr (Jim) .......................confirmed
  3. Sopascat (Cathy)
  4. Ben99r1 (Ben) .....................confirmed
  5. Mpanther.............................confirmed
  6. Lost Again (Patrick)
  7. Xymotic (Aaron)................confirmed
  8. afmracer
  9. TBarstow (Tim).....................confirmed
  10. Gary (Regulator's Dad)............confirmed
  11. KP (Baja Joe's buddy)..............confirmed
__________________________________________________ _________________

New information posted 03/01/2010

Kings of the West 1500!

Riding And Camping Event

The Kings of the West (KotW) Riding And Camping Event is for those motorcycle adventurers who've always wanted to participate in a Paris To Dakar Rally-like event here in the United States. The KotW is a five day off-road event, covering between 240 and 330 miles of the Western United States daily for four days of riding with rest/relaxation and party on the third day. It covers some of the most unforgiving, technical and high speed terrain in the Western states. 100% of the KotW course is ridden on approved riding and driving land designated as off-road use areas by the BLM and other state and local authorities. Transit areas are paved sections of the course utilized only for the purpose of retrieving fuel and all rules of the road are to be followed.

The KotW is conceived for like-minded individuals who like to cover many miles of dirt riding in a single day, day after day, relying only on one's own ability to prepare for the inevitable and survive the unforseen. This event also requires that the riders are very familiar with GPS navigation and sourcing their own gasoline along the routes using the various "transits" along the way. This is not an event for lolly-gaggers, slackers, noobs or those wanting to stop and smell the roses.

Being that the primary goal of this event is to pit rider overall navigational skills against rider, not team against team and therefore dollars against dollars, no individual chase teams or rider sponsors are allowed, leaving each rider to wrench one's own bike, change one's own tires and fill one's own gas tank at gas stations along the way. This is not a race!

All rider support comes from volunteers who are friends, family, or off-road devotees who put up their own time and vehicles to help this event occur. Although all support personnel are volunteers, all of their expenses, including gasoline, hotels, food, and race schwag is covered by rider entry donations and dollars from the sell of schwag in the "buy stuff" section of the website www.kingsofthewestrally.com. So be sure to stop in there and buy something. All funds received go to supporting this event and will be exhausted on expenses.

In order to keep the KotW course and date confidential, only approved riders will be allowed to ride this event, and only they will have access to the dates and course information through the password protected forum accessed via www.kingsofthewestrally.com. The 2010 roster is currently full and in order to be allowed on the waiting list, you must contact the KotW organizers through thewebsite, or at
kingsofthewestrally@gmail.com
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Mandatory donation to ride: On a need to know basis.

What this gets you:
  • Entry
  • Route notes and GPS coordinates/routes for checkpoints
  • Space to have your personal items hauled on support vehicles (Tires, Clothing, Spare parts, etc)
  • Fuel for the support vehicles (Not the motorcycles)
  • SPOT tracking using mobile satellite internet assisted laptops monitored until each rider has finished.
  • Lodging in Brianhead, Utah
  • Racing Jersey or hooded sweatshirt.
  • Your entry fee also covers the cost of a racing jersey or hooded sweatshirt for each person on the support team.
  • Stickers
  • Dinner and drinks each night
  • Breakfast each morning
  • Midway party in Brianhead, Utah with BBQ and open bar.
  • Any and all support required for breakdowns or injury.
  • Yet to be determined, some sort of trophies or awards. This is last on the list, because I think it’s the least important.
Rules:
  • The first rule of K.O.T.W. is don’t talk about K.O.T.W. to anyone that you wouldn’t trust with your life.
  • Second rule of K.O.T.W. is don’t talk about K.O.T.W.
  • All motorcycles must be legally street licensed.
  • All Riders must ride the whole event.
  • All riders must carry an operable SPOT locator and be subscribed to the “tracking” service.
  • All riders must carry a cell phone.
  • Proper riding apparel must be worn throughout the event. No jeans and work boots!
  • All riders must carry liability insurance during the event.
  • All riders, if married or have children, must carry minimum of $250,000 in life insurance during the event.
  • Each rider must carry all of their own fuel, purchase it from a gas station along the “transit” sections of the route, or beg, borrow or steel along the route.
(A” transit” is a portion of the course which for one reason or another, or by design utilizes a highway, road or some other pavement coated surface. All posted speeds “should” be followed, but that’s up to you……..)
  • No personal support or chase vehicles. This will be unfair to those who do not have that ability. Let’s keep it FUN, level, fair and most of all, affordable for everyone.
  • No engine swaps.
  • Each rider must carry enough food and water to sustain themselves for at least 48 hours.
  • Each checkpoint must be gone through and each rider must receive a “mark” to receive the points for that leg of the event.
  • When coming upon any rider who is injured or broken down, every rider is required to stop and render aid unless dismissed by the other rider. Each successive rider who comes upon this incident will be required to stop and take the position of the first rider who stopped. The first aid-rendering rider is then free to depart if he chooses. Once the rider has said he’s “OK”, or the repair is complete, he must give the last rider on scene a 5-minute headstart.
Suggestions:
    • Get your leg muscles in shape.
    • Get your drinking muscles in shape
    • Not mandatory, but you should use a GPS on this ride. The route notes will get you there, but you will have to stop and read them intermittently.
    • Take one set of spare tires
    • Take no less than 4 front and rear tubes, plus a repair kit.
MORE TO COME.....................................

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 10-15-2010 at 10:53 AM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
SSrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I'm in.

KTM 990
KTM 640
KTM 520
KTM 380
KAW klx650
Honda xr75
Honda trail 50
SSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,886
rob, linky not working

this sounds like 1 epic ride.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
punkenduro
now in a cage...

Oddometer: 738
when is this, umemployment may have a few up sides if im approved .
punkenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
bouncing billy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
being self employed i'm in just need time and place to start and will be riding somethin new and fast
Old 12-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
I'll help out however I can
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

If you're interested in riding, start putting together teams of three riders.

If you're interested in providing support, start posting up here.

I believe if each team donates $600 ($200 per rider), that would cover, participant Jerseys and T's for support people, fuel for the support vehicles and food for each stop with refreshments, plus enough for a midway party.

Probably need a support vehicle for each team. But no private chase vehicles. All vehicles will be selcted for each team by a draw.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 12-20-2009 at 02:10 PM
Old 12-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,626
i think i'm IN if work and money permits ! ! !

and i'm down for doing it all solo !
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
How abouth iroman teams ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
After reading 2on2off's thread and starting the beginnings of a highjack, and as this is something I've wantedd to do for years, Ive started this thread.

Please check this link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534258 and read my posts beginning on page 1. This will be my intent and it will develop as time goes on.

Any and all input is welcome.

but basically:

I'm staying away from the term "race", but........................

Up to 10 three man teams start in the Randsburg area on a Wednesday sometime in late June or early September.

Here are some of my notes and ideas so far

Part 1:

I think what the Western US needs is a rally from Cali, through Nevada, into Utah, back down Arizona and back to the starting place. A good 1500+ mile loop over 4-5 days, maybe a rest in the middle .

These geo-cacher, TSD things I have no interest in

You could easily put together an unsponsored and un-sanctioned event here on ADV. Run what you brung, no engine swaps, carry all of your own supplies, search out your own fuel, wrench your own bike, first to the next finish line takes the times of the rider behind him. Everyone who enters pays a fee to have their overnight gear, food, water and alcohol, hauled from one finish spot to the other. The same people who haul the crap could watch every racer on a laptop computer via SPOT. A few extra chase vehicles for rescues and such, and Voila!, you've got the beginnings of a history making event.

Ever seen Cannonball Run? Same thing, just in the dirt and only for fun or a modest trophy or gift card.

No sponsors and sanctioning, means no permits, BLM, Insurance etc, etc ,etc.

Only requirements:
Solid street legal Bike
Liability Insurance
Health Insurance
Life Insurance if married and kids.

Now this, I'd go for and pay handsomely to have my spare tires, food, tools and clothes hauled, and some extar for a cook.

Part 2:

I think it's important to follow these rules though to keep the spirit of ADV in tact, and to be sure that those with more money can't win by spending more cash:
  • Each rider rides the whole course
  • Each rider does all of their own wrenching
  • no engine swaps
  • no private chase crews
  • You must find all of your own fuel along the route which will be designed for get outs to gas stations every 60-100 miles. This makes fuel planning part of the strategy
  • You must carry a SPOT for monitoring.
  • No more than 10% of each leg can be spent on the Tarmac, which can be verified via SPOT.
This will really be a "high speed traveling motorcyle campout" with the idea to be the first to get to the next camp site.

Each start will be a GoldRush Style start. We will have to limit the amount of people to no more than 30 or so to make this manageable.

The first "camp out" could be in June and Start on a Wednesday in Randsburg, CA with the first stop Outside Vegas around Glendale. Second could go from Glendale to Brianhead where a friend of mine has a big house at 12,000 ft. We could have a 1 day stop there for a party and. rest. Then from there to somewhere around Flaggstaff, then the last leg would run from there to Randsburg for a finish on Monday.

Part 3

How about a team challenge?

Three man teams.

All other rules stand.

This allows each rider to have team mates to help wrench on the bikes and repair on the trails, thereby removing the rule that any rider who comes along another in need.........

Any team who finishes a leg without a rider due to injury, breakdown, fatigue etc, will have to add the average time of the remaining two riders to their overall time to account for the missing rider, plus a penalty factor of something like 10% of the overall team time on that leg.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
How abouth iroman teams ??
Jav,

Three man teams, each must ride the whole course on their bike.

Or are you thinking ride the whole course non-stop?

I'm also thinking from the standpoint of the start, skip the gold-rush start, and instead have starts at 1 minute intervals based on a draw on teh first day. Each subsequent day will have the winners and every other finisher start based on their finishing position with the first finishers from the previous day starting last and so on.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,491
Also very interested here, but agree with TrailTrick about having an Ironman class or option.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Jav,

I'm also thinking from the standpoint of the start, skip the gold-rush start, and instead have starts at 1 minute intervals based on a draw on teh first day. Each subsequent day will have the winners and every other finisher start based on their finishing position with the first finishers from the previous day starting last and so on.

Rob, I'm in and want to produce the flick... great friggin' idea. We can use my Utah place or wherever as a staging point too.
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #13
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Jav,

He probably (and others may ) want to go Solo and not worry or wait for other teammates

so you could have a sign up list for:

Team class

Solo class

Checkpoint workers

Chasers

Timing & Scoring

Sweep

S.A.R.

Start / Finish set up

Food / Entertainment

Gear Transportation

Misc.

etc.??????

Film Crew --- Herrhelmet ?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347
Also very interested here, but agree with TrailTrick about having an Ironman class or option.
Every one will be an Ironman meaning : each person an a bike will do all the miles

Solo class : 1 rider will have 1 bike and complete all miles

Team class : 3 riders will have 3 bikes and all 3 bikes will complete all miles

airborndad screwed with this post 12-21-2009 at 02:33 PM
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
Every one will be an Ironman meaning : each person an a bike will do all the miles

Solo class : 1 racer will have 1 bike and complete all miles

Team class : 3 racers will have 3 bikes and all 3 bikes will complete all miles
We could do this, but then we get into needing too many chase vehicles and then we have the issue of people hiring chase crews and .............

This would need to be further explored to see how we could maintian the integrity of the low budget, no sponsor, no affiliation, spirit of the adventure rider, comraderie thing and still keep it competitive.