ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
Film Crew --- Herrhelmet ?
Each person should have a helemt-cam for recording the action.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
We could do this, but then we get into needing too many chase vehicles and then we have the issue of people hiring chase crews and .............

This would need to be further explored to see how we could maintian the integrity of the low budget, no sponsor, no affiliation, spirit of the adventure rider, comraderie thing and still keep it competitive.
?? Or 1 very well equipped sweep vehicle for solo riders ??
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Each person should have a helemt-cam for recording the action.
That would be ideal.

I would say each team has to have at least one to switch around with. To clarify, I would want to be the film editor and produce the finished film using as much footage as is available.
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
How does this sound?

It appears as though most people prefer the "Iron Man" version. That was the original idea, so I'm down with that.

Once again, the main idea is a "Cannon Ball Run" Iron-man style event that is inexpensive, ran over 5 days, and retains the spirit of adventure riding. No sponsors, no pro teams, no sanctioning bodies, ride it like you stole it fun.

As long as everyone realizes that it's the responsiblity of everyone on the ride to lend aid when you come upon the need. Or else, if you don't lend it, you most likely will not get it.

Some rules must still remain intact in order to make this as even as possible for everyone involved, bike-to-bike, rider-to-rider:
  • Only street licensed dual-sport bikes allowed 250 cc's and over.
  • One bike per rider.
  • Each rider rides the whole course.
  • No personal chase crews. All of your gear must be hauled by one of the designated support vehicles.
  • No engine swaps.
  • Each rider must do all of their own wrenching unless another rider wants to lend a hand.
  • Every rider must wear an operable SPOT.
  • Only 10% tarmac for each leg verifiable by SPOT. This will allow each rider to decide when, where and how to get fuel along the route.
  • Each rider must seek out their own fuel along the route.
First day is a Gold-Rush start at some place like Cuddeback Dry Lake or Spangler.
Every other day starts in the reverse order of finishing from the previous day. So if you finish first one day, the next day you will start last. Starts will be at 30 second intervals.

Each rider must have:
  • Current tags.
  • Proper riding safety gear.
  • Carry enough food and water to sustain a grown adult man for at least 48 hours.
  • Some sort of safety kit with designated safety/first-aid items to be determined at a later date.
  • Current liability insurance.
  • Current health insurance.
  • If married and/or kids, Life Insurance.
Each rider must also sign a co-op agreement, making every participant an organizer, which will also include a "release of liability" waiver, and a clause stating something to the effect that you realize this event "can lead to injury or death".

Finally, every rider must donate a fee to be determined later to be used for rider jerseys, support crew t-shirts, fuel for the support vehicles, food and drinks for all involved, a midway (day 3) party at Jim's house in Brianhead, Utah and some sort of prizes for the top 3 finishers.

If anyone knows of a company who would provide anything from jerseys and t's to food and alcohol, get them involved. Once again, in order to keep the spirit of this event intact, any donations from outside entities, must benefit all involved, not just one rider. It must be event support, not individual rider support and we could add them to the jerseys and t's so they get some sort of mention.

How does this sound so far?

This is not an ADvrider sanctioned event.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 12-20-2009 at 02:10 PM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #20
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,193
Sounds good
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #21
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
How does this sound so far?

AWESOME any ideas for potential Dates?? Months??
Old 12-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
i just think it also be and iroman class o rider the ride by itself , maybe pick the best riders the try the participate and see how many want to iroman ,if we get 5 iroman top guys ,can be a lot o fun for theme after the 2nd day times are evaluate and probably be in between 40 minutes from the 1st to 5th o theme , or split the top 5 guys into 5 o the teams and we have a team and iroman class together for those the want to iroman and see how the rusty skills come back

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #23
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
so i can sleep in every day ,I loving it allready ,but also be a rule the not to hold on any rider the is behind you or the game is ON
Quote:
Jav,

Three man teams, each must ride the whole course on their bike.

Or are you thinking ride the whole course non-stop?

I'm also thinking from the standpoint of the start, skip the gold-rush start, and instead have starts at 1 minute intervals based on a draw on teh first day. Each subsequent day will have the winners and every other finisher start based on their finishing position with the first finishers from the previous day starting last and so on.

This is not an ADvrider sanctioned event.

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The potential IN list so far:

Riders:
  1. Trailtrick (Javier)
  2. Razr (Charles)
  3. Punkenduro (Pat)
  4. Herrhelmet (Jim)
  5. Me (Rob)
  6. SS Rider (MArk)
  7. BouncingBilly (Billy)
  8. Brent347 (?Brent?)
Support:

Airborndad (Keith)

Support
Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
punkenduro
now in a cage...

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Some rules must still remain intact in order to make this as even as possible for everyone involved, bike-to-bike, rider-to-rider:
  • Only street licensed dual-sport bikes allowed 250 cc's and over. my bikes 249cc, am i still in .
  • One bike per rider.
  • Each rider rides the whole course.
  • No personal chase crews. All of your gear must be hauled by one of the designated support vehicles.
  • No engine swaps.
  • Each rider must do all of their own wrenching unless another rider wants to lend a hand.
  • Every rider must wear an operable SPOT. kind kills the idea of low budget for riders without it. maybe riders w/o spot have to be on a team with a spot to help this case?
  • Only 10% tarmac for each leg verifiable by SPOT. This will allow each rider to decide when, where and how to get fuel along the route.
  • Each rider must seek out their own fuel along the route.
  • suggestion: during tarmac sections, all speed limits must be fallowed, like they do baja. this will keep it low key to the cops and legal as far as i can see.
Each rider must have:
  • Current tags.
  • Proper riding safety gear.
  • Carry enough food and water to sustain a grown adult man for at least 48 hours.
  • Some sort of safety kit with designated safety/first-aid items to be determined at a later date.
  • Current liability insurance.
  • Current health insurance. please dont ask me for this, again puts this out of my budget.
  • If married and/or kids, Life Insurance.
other than that, this is going to be bad ass.

punkenduro screwed with this post 12-20-2009 at 08:19 PM
punkenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #26
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
I'm interested.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #27
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
I'm interested in the support team.

spafxer
jim
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #28
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 AM   #29
SSrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I just did 1 and a half push ups !! It's on ! How is it navigated? Maps, GPS, Roll charts. The easier the better.

KTM 990
KTM 640
KTM 520
KTM 380
KAW klx650
Honda xr75
Honda trail 50
SSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #30
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSrider
I just did 1 and a half push ups !! It's on ! How is it navigated? Maps, GPS, Roll charts. The easier the better.
Maps & GPS for sure

Roll charts I think will add alot to the cost and pre planning prerunning etc.

My suggestion would be to have it self navigated meaning :
For example 1st day will be from Point A to Point B
Between point A & B there will be, lets say 3 checkpoints all at easily identifiable locations.
Lets say a dry lake bed or a small town or fire lookout or Post office or Major highway/Trail intersection etc.
When you reach that location you hit the Check/Ok button on your SPOT Tracker (maybe 2 -3 times coming into and leaving just to make sure) AND/OR you could pick up a preplaced colored/numbered stubb and tape it to your bike or put it in your pocket?
Maybe 2 of the checkpoints will be unmaned and 1 will not (someone will be there) no one will know which check has people there until they get there.

After that days leg your Spot page will be reviewed to Verify you made all the checkpoints AND/OR verify all Stubbs colors/#'s

So starting at point A use your Maps, GPS, Intuition, Pure Dumb Luck, Full throttle skills etc. to get to Checkpoint #1

From Checkpoint #1 to Checkpoint #2 Same thing
From Checkpoint #2 to Checkpoint #3 Same thing
From Checkpoint #3 to Finish line for that day Same thing

When you think you need Gas Based on your bikes range and based on where next gas is available use GPS, maps or whatever to get you to the gas station and heading back on route towards the next Checkpoint.

These are just Ideas / Suggestions as this is still in the developmental stages and I'm sure some may find flaws in it. Some may like it.

So without bashing me or anyone else that puts out their own Suggestions / Ideas
Lets hear what everyone else thinks

airborndad screwed with this post 12-21-2009 at 02:36 PM