ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #526
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
couple ??:

1st , can i chose the bike after i get the package 2 weeks before the ride ,o we have to chose the bike before we see the package ??

2nd wat is going to be the penalty for outside assistence if any during the ride ??
3rd and the most important, Why Sito only gives special care to Mike

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #527
SSrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
clever
That Is The Shit !

KTM 990
KTM 640
KTM 520
KTM 380
KAW klx650
Honda xr75
Honda trail 50
SSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #528
HAPPYTRAILSINC
single track rider

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
I can change both tires with moose in 12 minutes for both from on the bike to on the bike with fresh meat
only 12 minutes!!!!!
i will time u!!!

only if we were all so quick with the tire spoons!!!!
i was lucky enough to be taught by the euros how to change these during the nevada rally!! looks hard till u are taught the correct way!!
i saw guys with 10-4 foot tire spoons/ vice grips, and some fancy wheel holders!!! using three ppl to get them on and off!!!
hopefully we can get ther in time to watch a pro @ work!!!

happytrails
SCott

scott
HAPPYTRAILSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #529
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSrider
That Is The Shit !
Nice! I see we're on the same train of thought...Crap..we are in for some trouble!!

"I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you!."
BootDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #530
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYTRAILSINC
only 12 minutes!!!!!
i will time u!!!

only if we were all so quick with the tire spoons!!!!
i was lucky enough to be taught by the euros how to change these during the nevada rally!! looks hard till u are taught the correct way!!
i saw guys with 10-4 foot tire spoons/ vice grips, and some fancy wheel holders!!! using three ppl to get them on and off!!!
hopefully we can get ther in time to watch a pro @ work!!!

happytrails
SCott

scott
tire spoons ,No Way , 4 big zip tie tire spons , a tire changer to hold the rim ,couple o hammers and lots o grease, but now day probably take me 12 minutes each ,if takes any longer make you really anger with the dam thing for sure
It will depend on the bike i ride .

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #531
BootDragger
Rehibilitation Rebel

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
I can change both tires with moose in 12 minutes for both from on the bike to on the bike with fresh meat
Geez.... I was counting on that helicopter droping me a complete wheel/tire setup!

"I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you!."
BootDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #532
notmybikemodelname OP
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
couple ??:

1st , can i chose the bike after i get the package 2 weeks before the ride ,o we have to chose the bike before we see the package ?? Yes

2nd wat is going to be the penalty for outside assistence if any during the ride ?? Depends on what the assistance is, but no assistance should be planned for
3rd and the most important, Why Sito only gives special care to Mike
Can't get in the middle of young love....
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #533
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad
Thanks for volunteering you sound almost over qualified
(exceptin for the 100cc bike loaded with enough beer and enough tools to rebuild 30 bikes do we have an ADV psychologist available ?)

I will be riding a 673cc V-twin bike This time. Wait till you see it.
Just as bad in it's own way, but Way more torque and can do over 55mph without working hard.

(I also hope to get my hands on a IV bag and a couple needles & lines. Just in case.) What kind of Beer will be in the IV Bags ?

A nice Clear Beer. Saline.

We just want to make sure everyone is accounted for and has help to get their bike repaired at least good enough to not have walk out or to sleep in the middle of the desert or in a best case scenario to fully get going again

That's the plan. But if someone needs a full size 20mm end wrench to do something, id would be nice to have it on hand.

Now I'm starting to worry about you an SL 100 as in 100cc's??

The Sl110 (99cc) was due to Youth and availability. Ride what ya got!
It was one wild three days. would love to do it again some time.
But maybe on a SL125 this time.

We'll try to team you up with some one with GPS experience but maps should be good enough

ultimately we'll have to go with what work best with how much support we end up with

I am willing to ride with a group or alone as needed.
Don't want any sweep riders riding alone - shit does happen

I would rather team up. but if there is a rider in need 1/2 mile away of where two sweepers are helping someone that just needs one of us.....

ALSO it would be REALLY NICE to have a 4X4 truck, or a Jeep with a motorcycle carrier, to retrieve any bikes if they happen to blow an engine

Yeah, we sure could use something like that.
well, on hand. I hope we Don't need it.

I will have a tow rope on board though.

A question though, if I have the space left over, should I leave my passenger seat on? ???????

It might be handy to get a rider out to the road, if they can't Ride, but are in good enough shape to ride Bitch.
(Maybe I should get some pins made up. "I was Panthers' Bitch"
)

I have the option of having a more central mass if I take it off and replace it with the tail trunk.
????? more space for emergency beers ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
I like beer, but in honesty, i will have a couple gallons of water and some Power bars while out.
(If i ever See him after the start, I'll just steal some of Rob's! what do you drink Rob, Tecate?)
Cool - actually very Cool
I like and agree with your replies to everything
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #534
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
Ok Rob, since I just found this thread and just spent all Friday night reading it, I've got to say, "I WANT IN," if there is still space available. I'm a little reluctant however, since the only guy that I know I'm faster than is Javier. If nothing else, I'd still be happy to pick up a second to last award. Oh yeah, just kidding Javier. Don't get worked up.

Seriously though, I'd be perfectly happy to just keep up with the sweeps, but I don't want to miss this. If you guys that have ridden with me think this is out of my league, please let me know privately or publicly and I will gladly volunteer for sweep or support duties. This is the kind of thing that gets me excited about riding. This is why we ride dual sports, right? This is an adventure. CNF, ANF, local desert, ETC are fun, but not so much an adventure. If all goes well and it happens again next year, I think it should be a completely different course, so as to keep the adventure new.

A few questions: Is this an ADvrider sanctioned event? Is this a race? Will there be alcohol involved? Will Sito fix my flats? What's the first rule of KotW? Did I mention I just read this whole F'n thread?
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #535
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieFalls

A few questions: Is this an ADvrider sanctioned event? Is this a race? Will there be alcohol involved? Will Sito fix my flats? What's the first rule of KotW? Did I mention I just read this whole F'n thread?
Well, We would be happy to have you on "team snail".

But you have a good chance to get "IN" if you are on this short a wait list.

You do know there can be a big difference between "Reading" & "Comprehension", right?

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #536
BiggieFalls
b00b

Again, did I mention that I read that entire thread last night? I finished about 4:30am. I think I might be a bit obsessive.

Anyway, I know the answers to my own questions, so no one need bother. I was just a bit delirious and was asking the questions that I thought were made abundantly clear throughout the thread as so many posters often do. It seemed kind of funny at the time. I'm certain I retained the majority of the info.

Now that I have had a few hours to think about this ride, here's my take.

I don't think the miles would be a problem for me as I regularly ride 300 mile days. Riding at speed I also don't think would be a problem for me. Riding at the rest of your speeds, however, is always a problem for me. Some of you FFs are really fast. My main problem is, I really am not a very competitive person by nature. I played organized sports much of my life and never felt that drive to be the best. I was always just happy to play. I tend to always perform just below the level of my competition regardless of their skill level (to a point, of course.) When I can't see my competition, I have no point of reference and don't know what level to perform at. This being the case, even though I know this is not a race, I don't think that I will be able to hang with you guys as I don't push myself hard enough when I ride alone. This would make some sort of a team effort appealing to me.

I do however still want to ride this unsanctioned event. The whole idea of this ride is exciting to me. I certainly don't expect to be competing to be first. We all know that will be claimed by one of a handful of people. I just would want to finish it. I think the adventure in itself would be pretty impressive. Four states of amazing and varied terrain in the presence of great company. Who wouldn't want to do this?

However, I don't want to slow this event down. I figure in the time between no and the event, I could lose a few pounds and work on my speed and speed regulation.

I would like to reserve a spot if it is still possible. This would help motivate me to work harder on my skills. I would also like to reserve the right to give up my spot at any point to the next person on the waiting list if I or anyone else honestly feels that I will bring this event down. Like I said, I'm really not very competitive and this wouldn't hurt my pride in any way. In that case, I would be happy to ride sweep or anything else that involved riding the event.

I know that this is not a ride for everyone and I don't think that everyone should be included. I just want the option to be included and the opportunity between now and then to develop and demonstrate my ability to be a contributing part of it.

Also, I think the support system sounds amazing. Friends and family, pros and sweeps, paramedics and helicopters, video and high tech communication and masseuses, (yes, that kind, right?) That's awesome. Thanks everyone who is volunteering to help. I may be joining you somewhere along the way.

I did 3 push-ups yesterday. Unfortunately, I got them from the ice cream man.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #537
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Here Here +1 Fun Safety Finish I Agree With All Below

A Big +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito
Lets not make this complicated! Truth be told this is a Rally but for the most part maybe 10 or so of the riders on this list stand a chance at winning this. The rest will be hoping that the leaders will be plagued with flats, get lost, run out of gas and maybe a few blown motors. I know for myself my goal is to come away with the pride that I started and completed the first Kings of the West Rally. (If I can beat a few the guys to the finish line that won't hurt either ).

All this talk about stopping to give aid to a down rider is all B.S. IMO. I'm an ADV rider and I'm not going to leave a down rider if he needs my help. A $20.00 trophy is not worth it. The spirit of this Rally is to have fun and add a little competition to the ride to make it more challenging. 1500 miles in 5 days that's the goal right there for most of us!

I think that all the riders should realize what a huge undertaking this event is going to be to pull off. 35 riders & a support crew doing 1500 miles in 5 days. That is a monumental undertaking to pull off. I for one am very grateful to the organizers of this event. This is going to be a great adventure and something I will always remember. Lets not get to caught up and over think this too much.

If you look back at races and Rallies like the Baja 1000 this is how they get started. A bunch of people out doing what the love in a safe and fun way. I don't think the guys that were competing in the first few 1000's were to concerned about the trophy at the end. Probably more like Rob's thinking; just wanted a cold beer at the finish!

I think safety is Rule #1, Fun rule #2, getting to the finish line #3
I forgot a rule for Rob: Rule 2.5 always know where the cold beer will be!
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #538
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
I just want to finish in front of Sito.....
Who's pleasuring whom?
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #539
BiggieFalls
b00b

My feelings also usually tend to parallel sito's, except in the case of dealing with Mike's swelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito
Lets not make this complicated! Truth be told this is a Rally but for the most part maybe 10 or so of the riders on this list stand a chance at winning this. The rest will be hoping that the leaders will be plagued with flats, get lost, run out of gas and maybe a few blown motors. I know for myself my goal is to come away with the pride that I started and completed the first Kings of the West Rally. (If I can beat a few the guys to the finish line that won't hurt either ).

All this talk about stopping to give aid to a down rider is all B.S. IMO. I'm an ADV rider and I'm not going to leave a down rider if he needs my help. A $20.00 trophy is not worth it. The spirit of this Rally is to have fun and add a little competition to the ride to make it more challenging. 1500 miles in 5 days that's the goal right there for most of us!

I think that all the riders should realize what a huge undertaking this event is going to be to pull off. 35 riders & a support crew doing 1500 miles in 5 days. That is a monumental undertaking to pull off. I for one am very grateful to the organizers of this event. This is going to be a great adventure and something I will always remember. Lets not get to caught up and over think this too much.

If you look back at races and Rallies like the Baja 1000 this is how they get started. A bunch of people out doing what the love in a safe and fun way. I don't think the guys that were competing in the first few 1000's were to concerned about the trophy at the end. Probably more like Rob's thinking; just wanted a cold beer at the finish!

I think safety is Rule #1, Fun rule #2, getting to the finish line #3
I forgot a rule for Rob: Rule 2.5 always know where the cold beer will be!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #540
BiggieFalls
b00b

Rob, looks like your Christmas party exchange gift had a profound effect on you. Thanks for taking this adventure thing to a new level. I hope I can be at that level by the time of the ride.

Some of you know that I use my SPOT tracking feature on all of my rides. After my rides I always evaluate it's effectiveness. Originally, I had my spot on my backpack strap on my chest where I could easily reach in in an emergency. For the tracking feature to work, this location is completely ineffective.

For the sake of entertainment, I moved my spot to the back of my backpack where it will be pointing to the wide open sky all day. In an emergency, like if I broke a wrist or dislocated a shoulder, I pretty much wouldn't be able to get to my spot but eventually, one of you FFs would notice that I haven't moved in 3 days and might come look for me. As far as effectiveness goes, however, it transmits on average, about 60-70% of the time. This is effected greatly by mountains and trees, etc.

The only practical mounting place where you will get a higher percentage of transmissions is somewhere open on your bike. However, in most cases where you will need medical help, you are usually separated from your bike, in which case this spot mounting is completely useless.

My experience leads me to believe that the best place to mount your spot when you are alone is somewhere on your body where you can reach it when possibly upside down, under your bike, with two broken wrists. When riding with a close group you can mount it in other places.

In a best case scenario, even while riding on wide open LA freeways, I get about 70% success. While I think these devices are invaluable, this isn't really practical for what you guys want to use them for.

Also, if you manually send out a signal, it can take up to 20 minutes to transmit if it transmits at all. It tries when you first push the button. If unsuccessful, it tries again in 10 minutes. If unsuccessful again, it tries 10 minutes later. You probably won't know weather it has succeeded or not. If you are in a deep canyon or have major obstructions, it may not transmit at all.

My GPS, however, tracks me 99% of the time. Why the system used for rescue is drastically less effective than the one used for navigation I can't figure out, but it is.

If everyone runs GPS, their active tracks can be uploaded to laptops nightly, with or without internet service. These tracks contain astronomically more information than SPOT data. You can tell exactly where and when someone was at any given time. If someone stops to help someone in distress, you will know exactly when they stopped and exactly when they continued on. I seriously doubt that there will be this much emphasis on actual times, but this is really the only way to know for sure.

Also, I don't know if there is a GPS that will store 5 days and 1300 miles of active track so uploading nightly will good for archiving purposes as well.

Also, I can help modify, edit, build GPS tracks to follow since I know my way around my GPS program pretty well.