User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,631
Klx250sf??

I'd like to hear from owners of this little "super moto"Kawasaki to hear there thoughts on this bike. It looks like a really fun back road scratcher. I read somewhere that it has higher gearing than the dual sport version, and that it will top out at a pretty high speed for a 250.

I have to say that I have rediscovered how fun a smaller motorcycle can be.There are some petty decent prices on new SF models at some dealers in western Wa. State. I'm going to go look at some Kawasakis in the morning. I hope to see one of these, and a Versus (never seen one yet), and an ER6N (ditto), and a dual sport KLX250 also.

Thanks, Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
This inquiry went nowhere when first posted but thought I'd bring it back up.

I've been mulling over the Suzuki TU250 for a while. Yesterday I received the latest issue of "Cycle World" and saw - in an ad for Progressive insurance of all places - a photo of a young lady astride a nice looking Kawasaki. With the help of a magnifying glass my old eyes managed to read KLX250sf on the side panels and now I'm wondering if anyone here can comment on their experience with this model.

Thank you.

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,214
I'm assuming the SF means StreetFighter? It seems like a pretty exciting bike. I've been keeping my eyes open for something along those lines. I'm going to be looking into kawi now

-Spencer
Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
BTT one more time since threads get buried really fast on this forum.

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Sinfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I really hope that all these manufacturers recent infatuations w/ smaller motards starts trickling up to their bigger, badder bikes in the next few years.
Sinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 442
I just picked up one on Tuesday, in the rain. Then rode some Wednesday (in the drizzle/rain) before heading to Boston for some work. Got back yesterday and rode about 72 miles on it.

It is great fun on back roads, keeps up just fine on main rds. (I.e Route 7 & 202 in CT)

Had it to an indicated 77mph so far in fifth with more rev to go.

I'm liking it a lot so far, and will eventually pipe and jet it for a little more snap.

It's perfect for me as a still fairly new rider and conservative (closing on two years / 3000 miles approx.) It was cheap to buy and cheap to insure, should be fun to kick around on, hit the highway, and take some longer trips / adventures with.

dan0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
JingJing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
over 1000 miles on the little KLX250SF

As most of you know, I used to ride a DRZ400SM but finally decided that this bike was too big for me (ergonomics). I traded it for the little KLX250SF and couldn't be happier. I don't see any difference in power (but then I'm only 125 lbs) and it it has no problem going 70 mph. I'm not sure about higher speeds because there sure are a lot of cops everywhere I go!

Anyway, East TN (near the Gap) is full of twisty roads and nice back roads so this little bike is the perfect scoot for this type of riding and for a person my size. Hubby has also ridden it and was surprised at how peppy it is for a 250 (he's 185 lbs).

Right now the only mods are the handguards, lowering link, and dirtbagz which I love for commuting. I'm also working with Rick at Cogent Dynamics to get my bike resprung and lowered.

If you really need more power there are a lot of folks installing Bill Blue's 351cc big bore kit. Happy motoring!
JingJing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
dan0
just going with it.

What kind of rear rack is on your SF JingJing?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm glad to see, after starting this thread last December, that it's finally getting some action. I very much like the concept of these "super moto" type of motorcycles, and this Kawasaki seems like a great one. I bought a new 2001 KLR250 that year, and found that it handled extremely well on the paved and twisty backroads in an area around Lake Cushman Wa., when a pal and I were riding on trails, dirt roads, and jeep trails. I had so much fun on the twisty tarmac with that motorcycle. That's when I got interested in bikes like the DRZ400SM and later, this Kawasaki. Even with the stock dual sport tires on that KLR, it still had very good traction on the street and could be leaned unbelievably far over.

Jon
Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
JingJing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Turbo City Borrego rack

This is the Turbo City Borrego rack (> 2009) and it's a bit of a bear to mount with the dirtbagz racks as they both want to use the two holes where the rear tool bag used to be. My mechanic friend wrestled it a bit and finally solved the problem by mounting the Borrego rack first, then mounted the u-shaped bracket (where the dirtbagz attach) on top of the Borrego rack using spacers. I know it's a bit hard to follow without a photo. If you're really interested let me know and I'll snap a few pics. Once you see the pics, it's pretty clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0
What kind of rear rack is on your SF JingJing?
JingJing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
The SF looks like a fun bike. I tried in vain to get my wife interested in one. Truth be known I also wanted it to ride! It looks like a great first bike to build experience on. It also appears it would make a nice around town and back road commuter. I'm not too sure about getting on the highway for more than a few miles though.
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

I commuted from Bonney Lake into Seattle, Wa. on my KLR250. I left very early in the am (like 5:00 am), so often took a back road route to work (about a 65 mile round trip). Often I took the freeway home (I-5), because I got off at 2:30 pm and needed to get the hell out of town ASAP before the Boeing employees got off at 3:00 and plugged the roads. The KLR actually did all right on the freeways at 55-60 mph, and the KLX probably has more horsepower than the older KLR. I certainly wouldn't take it on long rides on a freeway, but it got me around just fine and returned about 68 mpg too.

I shpild mention that I', about 5'9" and 180 pounds.

jon
Old 05-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Hi Jon,

You have a well rounded fleet of motorcycles! It sounds like the ole KLR did it's job well. I would imagine that the KLX would be equally as good if not a little better. I sooo bad wanted my wife to start out on a smaller machine for all of the obvious safety reasons. The only way to build experience is to ride, preferably a smaller bike. The KLX250SF would make a much better start, plus I could actually ride it to work taking mostly back roads with a short rip up I-5. Oh well it is not to be.

Andy
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
I read somewhere that it has higher gearing than the dual sport version, and that it will top out at a pretty high speed for a 250.
The final drive ratios are the same even thought they have different sprocket sizes. 14/42 for the "S" and 13/39 for the "SF".

Visually, the "SF" tires look shorter. If they really are then that would make the overall ratio lower, not higher.

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
dan0
just going with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1
The SF looks like a fun bike. I tried in vain to get my wife interested in one. Truth be known I also wanted it to ride! It looks like a great first bike to build experience on. It also appears it would make a nice around town and back road commuter. I'm not too sure about getting on the highway for more than a few miles though.
I've gotten about 225 miles on mine since I picked it up last week, rain and going to Boston for a few days slowed me down.

I'm not an entirely new rider (about 3500 miles between a CB550k and a GS500e), but this will help hone my skills, before moving up to a bigger bore dual sport / supermoto and probably a 650cc naked streetbike that I foresee sometime in the future.

I'll be commuting into work on it tomorrow (50 miles highway there), I can always hop off ad take back roads so I'm not worried if it doesn't feel right on there. I'm definitely taking backroads home