Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
I'm glad to see, after starting this thread last December, that it's finally getting some action.
Since this is one of the first that comes up in search I'm just going to keep using it for some of my posts on my bike.
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 AM   #17
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
danO:

Will be interested in your reports.

As I mentioned I'm considering the Suzuki TU250 as well. Appears the SF is capable of a somewhat higher top speed than the TU; that's not a huge factor to me given my sedate riding style but would be nice to know it's there if needed.

Are you concerned with range? With the small tank I'm thinking you will need to fill up on a daily basis?

Ride safe.

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #18
dan0
just going with it.

Oddometer: 438
61mpg at today's somewhat unexpected fillup.

I left the house (Torrington, CT) with 71miles on the trip odometer. I figured I would make it to work (Danbury CT - 50 miles) But I had to switch to reserve before Waterbury. Stopped at exit 16 for gas. I put in 1.6g, so I had more to go (2 gallon tank) but I don't like pushing it on reserve.

It can do highway just fine, I cruised most of Route 8 at an indicated 70-72mph, and did 80mph for just a short bit on I-84. It had more to go too. BUT it is soooo boring after doing most of my riding on backroads. So tonight I'll take 84 to 7 and hit backroads through New Milford and home. An hour on the highway is boring.

So it will do highway just fine, but for the fun factor you'll find yourself avoiding the highways for longer stretches.
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #19
punkenduro
now in a cage...

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0
So it will do highway just fine, but for the fun factor you'll find yourself avoiding the highways for longer stretches.
really is true, but thats the fun of a 250. if i wanted to ride freeways all day, i would have gotten a streetbike.
punkenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #20
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Laugh I bought one

On monday I brought home an 09 250SF with just a few miles on it. What a freekin blast. I had 400 miles on it by thursday. I am getting about 62 or 63 mpg. I have had it up to 84 mph in 5th gear @ 10,000 rpm. It still has a little more, especially if I were to tuck and use 6th gear. The bike is all of what it says it is. Streetbike tires with NO chicken strips, Easy to ride and fun. Suspension is adjustable front and rear. Brakes are killer. It really seemed like a dog on the test drive. It did have old gas in it. On the second test drive they put fresh gas in it and I took my 18 year old son to see how he liked it. He would not drive it at the dealer so I had him get on as a passenger and we went for a spin. I saw 60+ MPH in a residential area so I decided it had enough balls for just me @ a little less than 200 lbs.

It corners awesome. I can get the rear tire really hot with the recommended 33 psi, so I raised it up to 37 but can't report back on that yet. I beat the heck out of it grinning the whole time I ride it. The ride to work is 18 miles, no highway. Its a good ride. While at work I can jump on it to fetch parts or go get lunch. I made a service call to repair a golf cart so I threw some tools in the saddle bags and off I went in my Kawasaki service truck.

Girlfriend says its too small for both of us, but that is ok with me.

The seat and gas tank are both good for about an hour. I did pass a car with it thursday morning on the way to work. It needs some space and I really cranked it up.

For mods I have done none yet. I did order a kit from dynojet because it runs a little lean. There is no aftermarket exhaust I can find that is quiet so it will remain stock for now. Once the snow gets here, I will send the seat out for some help. Its just a moto cross seat. Until then I will deal with it.

Back roads around my home and in the black top jungle (city) are where it feels the best. My friends tell me I can put knobbies on it, but I like it just the way it is. When these tires wear out I will replace them with the same type. The one with 18"/21" wheels was sitting right next to it on the show room floor. I wanted the urban assault model with 17" sport bike tires.

I did open up the screws on the front and rear shocks and go for a ride in the field across the street and out back. It did pretty well. I could sit on the seat in first gear. Anything faster than that I had to stand on the pegs. I am not a dirt rider, so no biggie.

Then I turned the screws all the way in to see how it rode. rough as can be on blacktop, so I stopped and opened up the rebound screw to 8 clicks. After the first click, the bike went back up to its regular riding position. The rear shock was totally locked up with compression and rebound all the way in. Those adjustments do work.

Cruising at 55 or 60 is 5th or 6 gear. Its more peppy in 5 th, but will handle it in 6. 60 mph in 6 gear = 6200 rpm 60mph in 5th gear is 7,000 rpm.

In the city in lower gears its peppy and zippy enough to get into trouble.

I feel invisible on this bike. I have been looking for a green (kawasaki) or orange vest to wear. People seem to look right through me.

I have a BMW R1100RT and r75/6, so this is by far my smallest bike. I am also 50 working on my second childhood having a total blast. NOT a beginner rider, I am 50 riding since I was 10. I put 22,000 miles on the RT this year.

This bike is nohting but pure fun on 2 wheels.

David
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #21
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Thanks for the post. Just makesw me want one even more!

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #22
spconley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Anyone else have a 250SF review to share?
spconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #23
dillon
Low Speed, High Drag

Oddometer: 1,657
Well I just bought an 09 KLX250SF last week. My previous bike was a Ninja 250, I really dig small bikes. Anyway I like it WAY better than a sport bike, in the twisties I dont need to bang gears as much as theres more bottom end torque so it will lug out of corners. Also with the 300mm front disc I am able to brake allot later in the corners which really changes the experience. I do allot of in town riding and the agility of this little guy is awesome, it seems to be turning and swerving the instant I think about it. On the highway it runs at 70s alright, though 60 is allot better and I have had mine past 80. As far as dirt goes, its great, but the stock tires suck. Anyway heres a few shots of mine...

If im just putting around town shifting at around 5K rpm I get 70mpg, but that dosent happen much, Im getting around 65mpg actually riding it.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #24
KevinMcCall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
I'm looking to put some 90/10 or 80/20 dual sport tires on my KLX250sf and Distanzias look to be just about the only choice available. But, I'm having a problem finding the same sizes as the stock tires. The closest I can find is 120/70-17 (vs. 110/70-17 stock) for the front and 130/80-17 (vs. 130/70-17 stock) for the rear. I like to ride gravel, nothing too serious. I have no complaints with the stock tires. Should I stay stock or are the Distanzias the better option? Will the Distanzias even fit? Any potential issues?

I'm thinking about doing the eastern portion of the TAT this spring, TN, MS and AR and I'd like to do it on this bike.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #25
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Laugh I like the ammo can!

This is rare:

I don't take it off road much at all, but here is a pellican type case. I was thinkiing milk crate, but I had this case. I just drilled and bolted. This bike is a total blast.

I went to a 351, now it will lift the front with a twist of the throttle in first gear.

I have ridden about 2,000 miles on it and had nothing but fun.

We now have snow. I have 3 months till spring. :(

I see quite few new 09 at dealers and on
ebone.

David
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #26
407Guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
For me, I'm looking at a 2010 -- those blue wheels are killer.

I went to a dealership today and they had several 2009s on the floor. They were "discounted" but my out the door price was still about $5200. Is that "normal" on these smaller bikes? All the fees and set-up, etc. add about 20-25% to the bike's cost. I was hoping to get a 2010 for about $5500 out the door but the best I got was $6500 at another dealership. I was told "no profit margin for us to move on price". Does this sound right? BTW, I'm in Florida. I thought if I could get a 2009 for about $4500 OTD I'd consider it over the 2010.

Thanks for any info.
407Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #27
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,302
I've been riding since I was 12...I'm now 57 (dang it !). I've owned a ton of bikes, mostly the hottest sportbikes the Japs can produce. I weigh in at a mere 170 lbs. I can ride the stink out of any bike !

I got my 09 KLX250sf new last summer for 4,400 bucks out the door. I've put on some 3,000 miles. I wanted it for easy trail riding in the Smoky Mtns. Don't need a 400cc arm jerker. But...to me...it has next to no pep, although it will cruise all day at 70 mph just fine. I've been getting a steady 70 mpg.

It's a fun bike; I love it ! Super for knee dragging through the Dragon and fun on the mountain trails (although trail tires would be better than the street tires.)

As for upgrades, the bike needs at least a little more low end grunt. I don't think you're going to get much out of freeing up the intake and exhaust and rejetting. Although it is quiet lean and needs a larger pilot and maybe main to help with the hard starting on cold mornings.

For some real added pep I will likely go for a 330 cc kit in the future.

Oh and...I got a padded seat thingy thingy at Wal-Mart that was perfect for getting some tailbone relief on long rides. Not all Wal-Marts carry them so look around. Here it is: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stearns-Bl...Cover/10727537...and is a mere 18 bucks. Best 18 bucks I ever spent on a bike. A perfect fit on the KLX.

Anyone tried an intermediate road/trail tire ?

RicH2 screwed with this post 12-28-2010 at 02:49 PM
RicH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #28
407Guy
Adventurer

Nice -- 4400 OTD.

I can't even get that NOW.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #29
Johnfrmcal
Dual Sport Doer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407Guy View Post
For me, I'm looking at a 2010 -- those blue wheels are killer.

I went to a dealership today and they had several 2009s on the floor. They were "discounted" but my out the door price was still about $5200. Is that "normal" on these smaller bikes? All the fees and set-up, etc. add about 20-25% to the bike's cost. I was hoping to get a 2010 for about $5500 out the door but the best I got was $6500 at another dealership. I was told "no profit margin for us to move on price". Does this sound right? BTW, I'm in Florida. I thought if I could get a 2009 for about $4500 OTD I'd consider it over the 2010.

Thanks for any info.
There is a dealer in Southern Cal offering Ebony '09's for $2599. Even if they tack on a $199 filing fee and $300 prep fee (junk fees), you'd still be about $3500 OTD. I know this is the opposite side of the country, but doesn't matter...if one dealer can do it, it means the manufacturer is offering incentives and rebates on the back end, so all dealers should be able to do it. Just depends on how aggressive they want to get.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...126163218.html
Johnfrmcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #30
407Guy
Adventurer

Thanks for the info. It's interesting since the one dealership had six (6) brand new 2009s and no movement or any indication of wanting to "deal" with me today. Oh well. I don't need the bike.

Wait and see what happens next week since it'll be 2011 so those 2009s will now be two years old.

My preference is the 2010 but will consider the 2009 with a discount on the OTD pricing.