User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #61
407Guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I'm still looking at the used 2009 with less than 50 miles on it. Dealership is asking about 4k OTD... my target is about 3800 I guess.

EDIT:

BOOM!

Pulled the trigger. 2009 KLX250SF with 37 miles on the it for 3925 OTD (warranty valid through Aug 2011).

407Guy screwed with this post 01-04-2011 at 12:51 PM
407Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #62
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,312
Thumb

Enjoy!

David
Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #63
mugwump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I have an SF with 4,000 + miles on it and that bottle is empty.

David
4500 and the bottle is empty
Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #64
407Guy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Enjoy!

David

Thanks David.

Does anyone know where I can get a handlebar bag? Something like in the picture below.

I used to have one for my Buell Ulysses but sold it. Kinda wish I didn't since it'd probably work.

Thanks for any info.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #65
407Guy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
Happy New Year everybody. I celebrated by putting in the 2nd stage Dynajet kit and a 2 Brothers Exhaust can.
Are you using the Two Brothers with the stock turn signals in place? Does this pipe "fit" without having to worry about the lights?

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #66
mugwump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Honestly I haven't been on the road with it since installed. Physically there are no clearance issues. Of greater concern to me is that the body work will lay on the canister without some type of modification. I left a phone message with 2BR, no response, it was during the holiday season so I'll try again.

The fit of the pipe is very tight with very little space between it and the air box.

It is loud. The local dealership recommended it as a "quiet one". I have ordered a PX1 to reduce the db.

Sorry that's the best I can do for you now.

Sorry about no pics. The operating system in the ancient desk top gave up the ghost some time last night. I'll see if I can get a decent pic with the cell phone.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #67
407Guy
Adventurer

No, it's cool. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:07 AM   #68
407Guy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingJing View Post
You might want to consider the Turbo City windshield. It's worked out great for me! I bought the windscreen brackets used from a Thumper Talk member and then I bought the "replacement" windshield from Turbo City. Saved a few bucks that way. I'm only 5' 1" and I can see over the windshield just fine. Of course you're probably a whole lot taller but you can see that the angle of the screen should make it work for you too.

Two Qs for you:

1. What have you done to lower the bike?

2. Where did you get those yellow rim stripes?

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #69
JingJing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
lowering and reflective tape

I ordered the reflective tape from http://www.tapeworks.com/Rimstripes/RimstripesHome.html

There are many kinds of rim strip tapes on this page and they're not all reflective. I commute in the early morning and late evenings when it's dark so I wanted the reflective tape.

Product Name, Part No., Item Price

REFLECTIVE LIGHT YELLOW RIMSTRIPES, 6142, $24.95

As for the lowering, I started out with Moose Racing 1.75" lowering link in the rear and raised my forks in the triple tree about an inch. The bike is not totally balanced front and rear as the front really needs to come down a bit more. So right now I'm in the process of replacing the fork springs and rear shock spring with lighter springs (I'm only 110 lbs) and getting the suspension lowered internally.

However, if the springs are OK for you, and if you don't have a short upper torso, the cheaper solution is to raise the handlebars (install risers) so you can raise the front another half inch or so. Although I have long torso for my size, I don't want to cut the seat or raise the handlebars anymore because I don't want to drop into the bike anymore than I already am. Besides, I actually find the seat pretty comfortable!
JingJing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #70
407Guy
Adventurer

Great, thanks for the info on the rim stripes.

I probably only "need" the bike to be about .5-.75" lower for me to feel really comfortable on it.

So you did "lower" the front by "raising" the front forks through the clamps. I was looking at my bike last night (just arrived from the dealership ) and saw that I could probably lower the front a bit just by dropping the clamp position on the front forks.

I'm not sure if anyone makes a rear link that's only for a .5" or .75" drop. I did find these: http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/4393129.htm
but I'm not sure about them. *shrug*

Also, did you change the kickstand?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #71
JingJing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
try Kouba KLX2 lowering links

I think the Kouba KLX2 lowering link should work for you. Copied from the Kouba web page: http://www.koubalink.com/KLX250-300.html

If the links are for lowering purposes ONLY, race sag is set at 3.90 inches, and will lower the rear of the bike .75" with the KLX2 links, 1.125" with the KLX3 links, and 2.0" with the KLX4 links.

Yes, you lower the front by loosening the top and bottom clamps on the triple tree and moving the front forks up so that the top of the forks are showing above the top set of clamps. You can get the front forks raised one inch this way before they hit the handlebars. If you're using the KLX2 link, you probably won't need to raise it a full inch, maybe .5 to .75 inches?

I forgot about the kickstand. I had a buddy cut and then reweld the kickstand. I'm not sure how much he cut off. If you only lower it about an inch, you might be able to get away without cutting the kickstand if you are careful where you park it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407Guy View Post
Great, thanks for the info on the rim stripes.

I probably only "need" the bike to be about .5-.75" lower for me to feel really comfortable on it.

So you did "lower" the front by "raising" the front forks through the clamps. I was looking at my bike last night (just arrived from the dealership ) and saw that I could probably lower the front a bit just by dropping the clamp position on the front forks.

I'm not sure if anyone makes a rear link that's only for a .5" or .75" drop. I did find these: http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/4393129.htm
but I'm not sure about them. *shrug*

Also, did you change the kickstand?
JingJing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #72
407Guy
Adventurer

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #73
fly2low
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I am wondering if anybody have installed axle sliders on their SF? Tried to google search it but nothing came up except for that frame sliders from Thailand. Thanks.
fly2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #74
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,357
What are the differences between the S and SF? Gearing? Spring rate or damping? Something else with the suspension?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a small dual sport and I'm seeing more of the SF in my area than the S. It'd be kind of cool to pick up an SF and get an extra set of rims to switch between dirt and street.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #75
Walnut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hello, I'm going to resurrect this thread with my first post.
I'm looking at this or a Suzuki TU250 for my first bike.

No one in town has a TU250 and I saw a leftover '09 KLXSF at a dealer and really liked the look and feel of it. They have it priced at $3499 (pre-fees), it was a demo unit and there are a few scratches actually. So my question is: what would a fair offer be? I don't think I should have to pay for freight, set-up, etc. on a bike that they received in late '08/early '09. Plus I think the minor cosmetic flaws should count for something. Would asking to get out for about $3200-3300 be a ridiculous lowball?

Thanks in advance! I've been lurking on this site for a while now and the community is great!
Walnut is offline   Reply With Quote