Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
I saw the Spidi DPS neck system in Bike magazine a week or two ago, and that got me interested in air bags...

I've got a feeling that Spidi use the Hit-Air system. Can anyone confirm that?

Has anyone compared both manufacturers' products? It looks like Spidi only provide neck protection, whereas Hit-Air cover the torso.

SaferMoto, does the upcoming MLV vest use a different system to the existing range, or is the price premium just down to it being lighter and more minimalist?

Thanks.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graemsay
I saw the Spidi DPS neck system in Bike magazine a week or two ago, and that got me interested in air bags...

I've got a feeling that Spidi use the Hit-Air system. Can anyone confirm that?

Has anyone compared both manufacturers' products? It looks like Spidi only provide neck protection, whereas Hit-Air cover the torso.

SaferMoto, does the upcoming MLV vest use a different system to the existing range, or is the price premium just down to it being lighter and more minimalist?

Thanks.
Yes, Hit-Air make the airbag systems for Spidi and RS-Taichi (hope that's not supposed to be a secret).
You're correct, this is only a neck/collarbone airbag, there is no torso, back or tailbone airbag coverage.

The MLV uses a different design than the regular vests but the shape and coverage of the airbag is very similar. The price premium is because it is more complicated to make than the vests. You might be able to see this in in this (badly-filmed) video, it's a lot of sewing.:
http://www.safermoto.com/media/MLV_test.html

Cheers,
-John
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 AM   #18
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Thanks John. I'd seen somewhere else that the Hit-Air system was used in the early Spidis, and wasn't sure if that had continued.

I'm in the UK, and I'm not sure if the MLV is available here yet, unfortunately. Maybe I'll pick one up next time I'm in the States.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:47 AM   #19
airbag
airbag safety gear

Oddometer: 15
Hit-Air supplied/supplies airbag systems to Polo, Dainesse, Calori and RS Taichi, and continues development all the time so the gear always keeps getting even better!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #20
REMORA
adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 27
I ride using the RS Taichi airbag vest and am quite confident using it, except at times when I forget to attach it to my bike. Getting off the bike one time, I was dismayed to see the unattached cord (tethered to the bike, with the clip) hanging precariously close to the wire spokes of my GSA rear wheel. I wouldn't speculate on what could have transpired if that cord got entangled on the wheel.

Any news on your connection sensor, ewanwannabe?
REMORA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Eh? Connection sensor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMORA
I ride using the RS Taichi airbag vest and am quite confident using it, except at times when I forget to attach it to my bike. Getting off the bike one time, I was dismayed to see the unattached cord (tethered to the bike, with the clip) hanging precariously close to the wire spokes of my GSA rear wheel. I wouldn't speculate on what could have transpired if that cord got entangled on the wheel.

Funny you should mention the connection sensor. Months ago, I ordered a bunch of magnets , reed switches and LEDs to make my "long-term" version. My crude version worked, but would not live long on the bike. Over time, I convinced myself that attaching the tether had become such a part of my riding routine that I no longer needed to worry about sensor. I disconnected the prototype as it looked very "uncraftsman-like". I finished a short ride this Saturday only to look down and see the bike-end hanging freely!

I guess I should put the effort into making the thing work as I need it to be connected ALL the time, not MOST of the time!

My prototype was magnet/reed-switch based. I found I needed a very powerful magnet and redundant reed switches to make it work reliably within the "flop envelope" of my carabiner connection. I just need a few hours with no other projects or kids to chase around (or nice weather to ride)...
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #22
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Connection sensor! A better idea

Regarding the connection sensor - why don't we ask our inmate friends who represent Hit-Air/Safer-Moto???

Hey guys - can you talk the Japanese geniuses into designing a bike-ready connection sensor that can be easily adapted to any make? I bet they could whip something up very quickly.

I'd gladly buy the first one.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #23
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Thing I liked best in those videos was the inflatable collar.

Short of wearing a Leatt brace full time most motorcyclists have no neck injury protection.

You have some spine protection if you have a good back protector in your jacket, and head protection with a good helmet, but nothign between them.

I'd personally be interested in a airbag neck brace more than an airbag jacket.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Inflatable collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
Thing I liked best in those videos was the inflatable collar.

Short of wearing a Leatt brace full time most motorcyclists have no neck injury protection.

You have some spine protection if you have a good back protector in your jacket, and head protection with a good helmet, but nothign between them.

I'd personally be interested in a airbag neck brace more than an airbag jacket.
I believe both the Hit-Air and Impact Jackets do have inflatable collars.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Right, I see them in the videos, I just meant a stand along collar, something that could be worn under a regular vest, and inflate using a small 12 gram cartridge or something.

Anyhow, I think most Leatt brace wearers are into serious offroad. Inflatable for dual sporters/onroad riders, that wouldn't need a big open collar.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:44 AM   #26
Ratski
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Saw this the other day, when I was kicking around on Youtube. Looks cool!

Ratski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #27
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Airbag Connection sensor - done

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMORA

Hi
I finally have a permanent version of my sensor mounted on my GS. It works fine. Look in "Gear" - "Equipment" for "Airbag Connection Sensor" and you will see the photos.

PS - I changed my ADV name from to "John Smallberries"
Old 09-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJungnitsch
I used to think my Aerostich had enough armor for anything but after breaking a good chunk of my right shoulder last fall I looked harder at these airbag devices (funny how an injury focuses the attention!).

Picked up a YS vest the other day in the mail from Safermoto and tried out a test inflation at work on Friday:

First impressions

-vest is well made, looks like a quality piece. Bulkier, and I'd guess warmer, than the Icon Hi-Viz I had before, but still fairly trim before inflation.

-the inflator is bigger than I thought, feels like an overstuffed pocket. However there is armor behind it, plus the air bag, so it appears it won't cause problems. You can get extra chest armor yet, but I don't think I'll bother for now.

-it takes a pretty sharp tug to pop the trigger, looks like accidental inflation won't be a problem.

-inflation is almost instant, even though I have the old style slower assembly.

-the vest doesn't inflate a huge amount (no 'Michelin man'), but still probably 4 to 5X more thickness than the Aerostich armor I had. Grips tightly, feels reassuring. Starts to release air right away but still holds pressure a considerable time, more than enough to stop rolling, IMO.

-neck is supported very well, and between the 'collar' and the shoulder inflator I think it would have prevented a lot, if not all, the shoulder and head damage I suffered.

-repacking was surprisingly easy, a few snaps.
The inflation seems really slow in the video. If you are still on the bike at the moment of impact, your body is going to hit something just as the tether gets yanked.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #29
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
The inflation seems really slow in the video. If you are still on the bike at the moment of impact, your body is going to hit something just as the tether gets yanked.
FWIW, that vest had the older system in it. The newer system is twice as fast.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #30
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries
Hi
I finally have a permanent version of my sensor mounted on my GS. It works fine. Look in "Gear" - "Equipment" for "Airbag Connection Sensor" and you will see the photos.

PS - I changed my ADV name from to "John Smallberries"
Hi Craig,
This is great. Would love to see some pictures.
Cheers,
-John