Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #61
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
you sure about that? The vests are noticibly shorter than the MLV. The connector is also in a different position on the vest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto
Rob, those guys are just big guys. They're wearing the smaller size MLV.
There are two sizes, one that goes from M to XL and one that goes from XL to XXXL and can accommodate a 54" waist.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #62
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob
you sure about that? The vests are noticibly shorter than the MLV. The connector is also in a different position on the vest.
Yep, I'm sure. It may be that the speed hump on their leathers is causing the whole vest to ride up higher on their chest.
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #63
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Ii see it now, thanks.
Quote:
Yep, I'm sure. It may be that the speed hump on their leathers is causing the whole vest to ride up higher on their chest.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #64
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
My brother just ordered an MLV-Lightweight from SaferMoto. I am thinking about the YS or the MV-3.

I commute 20 miles through heavy Los Angeles freeway traffic to downtown LA every few days and think that maybe a Hit Air isn't a bad idea.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #65
Houngan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I just ordered the YS (hi viz yellow full vest) and was very please with the honesty and responses of John at Safermoto. Some concerns I had and their answers:

Q: How good is the back protection upgrade?
A: Not very good. If you want real back protection other than the airbag, you need real armor like Forcefield.

I asked this because I'm trying to put together a removeable full-armor solution that I can stow. That way I can buy lesser jackets for the seasons but still have great protection.

Q: Does the vest allow wind through? Will it block the vents of my jacket?
A: It lets wind through like a sieve

Q: What sort of armor would fit?
A: This page: http://www.forcefieldperformance.com...k-inserts/2361 Perhaps John can specify which model on that page, since it's Flash and the models change as you mouse over them.

Anyway, I'll update when it arrives, I'll be wearing it over a Tourmaster Air Intake and a Fieldsheer Highland jacket.

H.
Houngan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #66
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Im trying to decide whether to go hi-vis or stay black. Im worried about the Hi vis bleaching out in a year or too. WHich is something I hate with those intensive colors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houngan
I just ordered the YS (hi viz yellow full vest) and was very please with the honesty and responses of John at Safermoto. Some concerns I had and their answers:

Q: How good is the back protection upgrade?
A: Not very good. If you want real back protection other than the airbag, you need real armor like Forcefield.

I asked this because I'm trying to put together a removeable full-armor solution that I can stow. That way I can buy lesser jackets for the seasons but still have great protection.

Q: Does the vest allow wind through? Will it block the vents of my jacket?
A: It lets wind through like a sieve

Q: What sort of armor would fit?
A: This page: http://www.forcefieldperformance.com...k-inserts/2361 Perhaps John can specify which model on that page, since it's Flash and the models change as you mouse over them.

Anyway, I'll update when it arrives, I'll be wearing it over a Tourmaster Air Intake and a Fieldsheer Highland jacket.

H.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #67
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,435
Quote:
Im trying to decide whether to go hi-vis or stay black. Im worried about the Hi vis bleaching out in a year or too. WHich is something I hate with those intensive colors.
Sure it might bleach,but would still be a lot more visible than black.

JR356
With high viz YS vest
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #68
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,514
Safemoto - My daughter rides horses. I see that these vests are making inroads in the equestrian world where safety is way down the list of concerns. Daughter broke her shoulder recently in a silly fall while walking her horse back to the stable at a show. Fell on rock hard roadway. I bet with you jacket it would have been no injury.

I will show your site to wife (horse person) & see what she thinks. I think the product is maturing and will be looking into it myself.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #69
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob
Safemoto - My daughter rides horses. I see that these vests are making inroads in the equestrian world where safety is way down the list of concerns. Daughter broke her shoulder recently in a silly fall while walking her horse back to the stable at a show. Fell on rock hard roadway. I bet with you jacket it would have been no injury.

I will show your site to wife (horse person) & see what she thinks. I think the product is maturing and will be looking into it myself.
You can also look at our http://www.saferrider.com which has more of a equestrian tilt. Our http://www.safermoto.com/products/vest_km/index.html KM Vest for children or our http://www.safermoto.com/products/ve...ian/index.html LV SV2 vest is specifically designed for tthe Equestrian rider.
Our http://www.safermoto.com/products/fr/index.html FR ladies jacket is alos very popular with the Equestrain Riders.

If you have any questions we would be happy to answer them for you
Old 09-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #70
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
We dont have any data on how the color changes over time, sorry. The material is very hard wearing so we dont foresee any issues with the color "bleaching" within a year or two.

If you have any further questions we would be happy to answer them
Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #71
spaceharrier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
The vest doesn't dominate visually; it's not that big when packed. If visibility is your primary concern I'd suggest (as a layman) to get a hi-viz jacket and the vest over the top. Lots more material in the jacket than the vest.
spaceharrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #72
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I'm glad I saw this thread. I didn't even know these products existed (air vests) I'm definitely interested in getting one.
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #73
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

I used to do eventing asa kid. There are about 4 companies doing air vests now for horse riders. But the Hit Air vests are definetly the fastest inflating and with the smallest foot print for the wearer ive seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob

Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #74
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Why is the yellow MLV so much more expensive than the black version?
Quote:
We dont have any data on how the color changes over time, sorry. The material is very hard wearing so we dont foresee any issues with the color "bleaching" within a year or two.

If you have any further questions we would be happy to answer them
Old 09-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #75
jacbrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
MLV and Tall Guys

John at SaferMoto is really helpful. At 6'5", I was concerned about the fit. John's answer was to send me both an MLV and a YS vest. I picked the MLV and sent the YS back, no problem.

I got the 3XL MLV and its both long enough and has lots of adjustment for waist size. Just a personal preference, but I liked the freedom of movement with the MLV and I didn't see any significant difference in air bag coverage between it and the full vest.

One thing you tall guys need to be aware of is the tether length. I bought a spare that fit my sport bike fine. On the KLR, however, the tether was right on the edge of being too short for a lot of standing on the bike. Since ADV inmates do a lot of upright offroad riding , taller inmates may need to work out something special, depending on their bike and body. John was nice enough to send me a prototype of a longer tether, but I think I got the only one. If anybody gets in trouble on this issue, send me a pm and I'll take a picture of the long tether for you. It wouldn't be too hard to make up something similar for yourself.

Safer John,

I didn't identify myself as an ADV inmate when I ordered and don't expect any discount, but feel free to make a charitable contribution with me in mind. Actually, I think I've used up any consideration with the extra service you sent my way. Thanks again.
jacbrown is offline   Reply With Quote