Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #91
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob
I'm 6'9" and with my motoport air mesh kevlar jacket on my chest is about 52-54" Sort of hard to measure due to the armor. Will the XL fit? the other thing that worries me is the tether length. I stand up on my tiger quite a bit.
Not sure where in CA you live but if it is Northern CA then I would be happy to setup a time to meet you and size the vest on you. If you order one and it is to small we can easily change it for the larger size. From your measurements I would think you would need the 3XL size

You could try it with that extra long one and only tether you have

SaferMoto screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 09:32 PM
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #92
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
Im near L.A. darn, looks like im a non starter. I was hoping to get something to use for the Pismobeach motorcycle classic rally next weekend. im also leaving to vegas tomrrow for a work assignment. So id be away from a PC until next Friday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto
Not sure where in CA you live but if it is Northern CA then I would be happy to setup a time to meet you and size the vest on you. If you order one and it is to small we can easily change it for the larger size. From your measurements I would think you would need the 3XL size

You could try it with that extra long one and only tether you have
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #93
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Im near L.A. darn, looks like im a non starter. I was hoping to get something to use for the Pismobeach motorcycle classic rally next weekend. im also leaving to vegas tomrrow for a work assignment. So id be away from a PC until next Friday.
The life of a "jet setter"!!!!!
If you would like I can order a Large with the next order then get it to you to see if it fits?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #94
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

You think a Large isnt too small?
Quote:
The life of a "jet setter"!!!!!
If you would like I can order a Large with the next order then get it to you to see if it fits?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #95
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You think a Large isnt too small?
Sorry, difference in terminology!!! When we order from the factory the Large is the XL which, according to the measurements you sent, would be my recommendation
Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #96
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Ok Ill will be visiting your website right now to order the XL(L).....Hope there is a space to imput that ADVRider discount.Ok, I sent in my Order For the MLV-R. I didnt really see anything to specify XL.So i put it in the instructions. I hope I can get this thing by this Friday. Thanks.

TallRob screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 10:58 PM
Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #97
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok Ill will be visiting your website right now to order the XL(L).....Hope there is a space to imput that ADVRider discount.Ok, I sent in my Order For the MLV-R. I didnt really see anything to specify XL.So i put it in the instructions. I hope I can get this thing by this Friday. Thanks.
Replied via PM
Old 09-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #98
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,441
Do you ship to Europe?
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 AM   #99
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
The German distributor's website is here:

http://www.hitair.de/

Be aware that the product names are a bit different, so the MLV is named as the Cross Country.

And there are a few companies in the UK who sell the vests, though not the MLV. With the relative strengths of the pound and euro, they might be a better option.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #100
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
Do you ship to Europe?
Yes we ship to Europe but as said above the German distributor or the UK distributor might be a better Idea

If we can answer any questions please let us know
Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #101
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries
I deployed my Hit-Air jacket ...
It was a slow fall, so I more stepped-off the bike, rather than "flew off". The cord pulled and the bag inflated as expected.

In this soft sand, I didn't need it's protection - but it gave me a very comforting feeling. I disconnected the tether and walked over to my son. The bags stayed inflated for a few minutes - enough time for him to whack/punch me many times as hard as he could to test the protection. I felt he could have smacked me at full force with a 2x4 in the back or chest and I would have been fine.
For you lurkers or hand-wringers - quit worrying about the inflation time, the bottle on your chest, what if I forget...: just buy one. Those are minor issues compared to the benefit of that 2" air cushion around your vitals.
One of my first cars was a 1961 Morris Minor Traveller with after market lap sash front seat belts mounted through the timber frame. As seat belts go, they were pretty primitive; they certainly hadn't been barrier tested and it was not a car I would choose to have a significant crash in.

But those primitive seat belts were a major improvement on the car as it left the factory.

Modern seatbelts are far more sophisticated, right down to pyrotechnic tensioners and deliberate Z folded weak sections to ease tension controllably, but does this mean we shouldn't have bothered with seatbelts until we'd reached this level of sophistication? Of course not.

In 1993, as a student engineer, I was working at GM Holden in Australia doing lab testing of car components, including the steering wheel for Holden's first air bag model. That air bag typically would not go off in a side impact or a rollover. But in a significant proportion of collisions it provided worthwhile protection. Side airbags are now common, but we had to start somewhere.

The first generation motorcyclists "airbag jackets" inevitably will have shortcomings that will be improved upon. They will get better and cheaper.

And at some time, the increasing sophistication of protection provided and the decreasing price will move them from "wtf?", through "a neat idea", through "I'd like one of those", through to "I don't really feel comfortable riding without one".

For some of us with high mileage and high income, they've already arrived at the last stage. For me they're at "a neat idea" at the moment, but right now I can't afford $400 for an early model to replace two perfectly good jackets I currently own. I can believe that my next jacket in say 5 years might have a much better one for a premium of around $100.

I might add that self inflating life jackets using similar technology and the same cylinders are already at similar prices to quality conventional life jackets, and have reached the "I'd like one of those" stage for me. But I've got a good quality conventional life jacket which I am reluctant to discard.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #102
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
One of my first cars was a 1961 Morris Minor Traveller with after market lap sash front seat belts mounted through the timber frame. As seat belts go, they were pretty primitive; they certainly hadn't been barrier tested and it was not a car I would choose to have a significant crash in.

But those primitive seat belts were a major improvement on the car as it left the factory.

Modern seatbelts are far more sophisticated, right down to pyrotechnic tensioners and deliberate Z folded weak sections to ease tension controllably, but does this mean we shouldn't have bothered with seatbelts until we'd reached this level of sophistication? Of course not.

In 1993, as a student engineer, I was working at GM Holden in Australia doing lab testing of car components, including the steering wheel for Holden's first air bag model. That air bag typically would not go off in a side impact or a rollover. But in a significant proportion of collisions it provided worthwhile protection. Side airbags are now common, but we had to start somewhere.

The first generation motorcyclists "airbag jackets" inevitably will have shortcomings that will be improved upon. They will get better and cheaper.

And at some time, the increasing sophistication of protection provided and the decreasing price will move them from "wtf?", through "a neat idea", through "I'd like one of those", through to "I don't really feel comfortable riding without one".

For some of us with high mileage and high income, they've already arrived at the last stage. For me they're at "a neat idea" at the moment, but right now I can't afford $400 for an early model to replace two perfectly good jackets I currently own. I can believe that my next jacket in say 5 years might have a much better one for a premium of around $100.

I might add that self inflating life jackets using similar technology and the same cylinders are already at similar prices to quality conventional life jackets, and have reached the "I'd like one of those" stage for me. But I've got a good quality conventional life jacket which I am reluctant to discard.
No need to discard your present jacket buy one of our vests to go over your jacket. Would be a pity if you had an accident before you got to the "I don't really feel comfortable riding without one" stage

I agree with all your points and I have personally reached the last stage, especially while racing. The cost benefit analysis is a no brainer. if it saves you from just 1 visit to the ER it has paid for itself

Safe riding
Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #103
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
No need to discard your present jacket buy one of our vests to go over your jacket. Would be a pity if you had an accident before you got to the "I don't really feel comfortable riding without one" stage
The trouble is that the simple vest is still $400.

When I'm ready for a new jacket in few years, I expect a jacket with airbag will be no more than say $300 versus $200 for a similar quality jacket without.

After 30 years riding, 26 since my last "off" and only doing around 5500 miles per year nowdays, I'm pretty low risk. Which doesn't stop me being careful or wearing good gear, but it does tend to prevent me spending hundreds on the latest thing. As I said, I suspect the time will come, and it may well be my next jacket, but not before I need a new jacket.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #104
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
The trouble is that the simple vest is still $400.

When I'm ready for a new jacket in few years, I expect a jacket with airbag will be no more than say $300 versus $200 for a similar quality jacket without.

After 30 years riding, 26 since my last "off" and only doing around 5500 miles per year nowdays, I'm pretty low risk. Which doesn't stop me being careful or wearing good gear, but it does tend to prevent me spending hundreds on the latest thing. As I said, I suspect the time will come, and it may well be my next jacket, but not before I need a new jacket.
Hopefully the price will come down as the market grows. I think the price will not come down to much as it is still a "niche" market and the components are still expensive to put together.

Hopefully you will keep us in mind when the time comes to buy a new jacket
Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #105
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Your market just grew by one.

I ordered a YS today.

I commute through heavy traffic daily, lane splitting to some extent, and this Hit Air thread has been bothering me to the point where this morning I just didn't feel safe enough. All those freakin' cagers trying to wipe me off my bike (it seems). I will continue to use my usual gear (Olympia Phantom one piece or Revit' Sirocco jacket & pants plus BMW Santiago boots and Shoei helmet with Revit' gloves) but will add the hi viz Hit Air.

Hope the large size fits though...