Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #31
Motorman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Anyone else using LED's to light their way????
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #32
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,034
[QUOTE=RecycledRS]

I found the source for the lights shown
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...0001&langId=-1
Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #33
Motorman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, after much review, I will be installing the Clearwater LED lights on my GSPD. Clearwater has some new approx. 4" diameter lights coming out that should solve the issue with "punching the light out there" so one can see the critters. As soon as I get them mounted I will post some pics. LED seems the way to go (especially on our wattage starved Airheads).

"Light the Way"
Old 02-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #34
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 363
The Clearwater LED Lights website claims to be "airhead friendly", yet doesn't list any pre-2001 BMW models.... Did I miss a universal type mount? I'd prefer to mount up high on the "roo bar" somewhere as the fork mounts look too susceptible to damage from off-highway useage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman
Well, after much review, I will be installing the Clearwater LED lights on my GSPD. Clearwater has some new approx. 4" diameter lights coming out that should solve the issue with "punching the light out there" so one can see the critters. As soon as I get them mounted I will post some pics. LED seems the way to go (especially on our wattage starved Airheads). "Light the Way"

dmottv screwed with this post 02-07-2010 at 10:14 AM
dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #35
HowdyDoody
Lost in Amish Land

Oddometer: 33
No Pics Yet

Thanks OpposedCylJunkie that is almost exactly how I mounted my trail tecks but lower and further out. I may move them higher up to keep them away from road debris and experiment with maximum visability to cagers, as I keep them on all the time for conspicuity!! I did ruin one hid bulb and balast when I fell into a huge muddy water crossing while off roading last spring. Half the bike sat submerged for minutes while I crawled out and my buddy agreed to swim in to help me pull her out!! The front wheel hit something which twisted the bars out of my hands and down I went!!
The manual lighted (when on only) switch was from Pep Boys and fit precisely in the auxillary switch square hole after removing the cover. I have to manually turn them on and off but the lighted switch reminds me!! The lights are very good for lighting up the road at night and are very noticeably lacking when off!

I am still working on how to post pics and whether to sign up for a photo sharing site. I am a bit old school in this area!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #36
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowdyDoody
Thanks OpposedCylJunkie that is almost exactly how I mounted my trail tecks but lower and further out. I may move them higher up to keep them away from road debris and experiment with maximum visability to cagers, as I keep them on all the time for conspicuity!!I am still working on how to post pics and whether to sign up for a photo sharing site. I am a bit old school in this area!
Apart from keeping them dry, auxiliary HIDs (not sure about LEDs) are better-off mounted high to provide the best lighting. I used to have mine mounted some 6" lower and thought I wasted my money. Mounting them higher made a world of a difference.

Try www.flickr.com for free (but limited) photo hosting.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #37
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmottv
The Clearwater LED Lights website claims to be "airhead friendly", ...
Not based on their price they're not ($475).

If someone could produce a quality LED light in a sturdy waterproof housing and price it at $100 or less, they would get my money right away but we seem to have a huge gap between the $10-$20 non-waterproof banks of cheap white LED's and the next-generation high-wattage LED's like Clearwater which are better lights and much better made but stratospherically priced.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #38
Motorman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Buy Some Extra Lights----You'll Be Glad You Did!

"You get what you pay for". The technology is new. Development costs are not inexpensive. If you wish to wait, the price may drop. To me it's $ well spent, for trips to the ER, or worse, are not much fun. The lights may save your life. I know my Motolights have saved me many times.

As I mention to my riding students when they complain about the cost of a quality riding suit; "sure the Aerostitch suit is @ $900, but last time I checked, skin grafts were $1200 a square inch and not a lot of fun."
Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #39
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman
"You get what you pay for"
That may well be true. The clearwater lights are beautifully made and the price for such quality will be whatever the market will bear.

While the jewel-like machining and anodizing may be worth the price asked, I was simply bemoaning the fact that there do not appear to be any similarly rugged but cruder finished lamps available in a lower price bracket. I used to make diving lights, potting MR16 lamps into a solid mold. They were almost indestructible and cost only about $15 in materials each, but were not nearly as pretty as a nicely turned aluminium housing would have been. I no longer have the time to do such things but imagine it could be done with high power LED's for not a huge amount more. Making my own brackets and harness is easy if I could only find the lamps at a lower cost.

My oilhead came with a set of Motolights that just work with no extra effort ever required. I love them and they are on all the time. I also fitted some cheap projector foglamps that I modified to improve the beam pattern and waterproofing. They may not be as good as high-end Hellas but they work just fine and cost a damn sight less. My airhead has some very cheap, low current LED lamps as running lights. They do not provide enough light by themselves to drive at night (although you probably could do it in a pinch), needed waterproofing and are rather flimsy but then they only cost about $10 a set. Again, I would happily have paid more for better quality items but not over $400 more.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #40
Motorman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast
That may well be true. The clearwater lights are beautifully made and the price for such quality will be whatever the market will bear.

While the jewel-like machining and anodizing may be worth the price asked, I was simply bemoaning the fact that there do not appear to be any similarly rugged but cruder finished lamps available in a lower price bracket. I used to make diving lights, potting MR16 lamps into a solid mold. They were almost indestructible and cost only about $15 in materials each, but were not nearly as pretty as a nicely turned aluminium housing would have been. I no longer have the time to do such things but imagine it could be done with high power LED's for not a huge amount more. Making my own brackets and harness is easy if I could only find the lamps at a lower cost.

My oilhead came with a set of Motolights that just work with no extra effort ever required. I love them and they are on all the time. I also fitted some cheap projector foglamps that I modified to improve the beam pattern and waterproofing. They may not be as good as high-end Hellas but they work just fine and cost a damn sight less. My airhead has some very cheap, low current LED lamps as running lights. They do not provide enough light by themselves to drive at night (although you probably could do it in a pinch), needed waterproofing and are rather flimsy but then they only cost about $10 a set. Again, I would happily have paid more for better quality items but not over $400 more.
It appears you have created a job opportunity for yourself in the design, production, and marketing of LED driving lights for motorbikes for $200 a set.
I'm sure you could sell a ton of them here. I'd help.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #41
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
If someone could produce a quality LED light in a sturdy waterproof housing and price it at $100 or less, they would get my money right away but we seem to have a huge gap between the $10-$20 non-waterproof banks of cheap white LED's and the next-generation high-wattage LED's like Clearwater which are better lights and much better made but stratospherically priced.
Gettin' close - saw the Vision-X Solstice Euro pattern on Amazon for $118 (free shipping).
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:14 AM   #42
Motorman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Linky, please???
Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #43
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 316
I recently put a pair of the VisionX Solstice 45 / 15 lights on my R100GS/PD. The lights are mounted to the "roo" bar. I used stainless steel U-bolts and SS stock from McMaster-Carr. The VisionX lights were purchased from -
http://www.visionxstore.com/index.ph...bb9a64326b8cb3

The VisionX Store is offering a 10% discount off the normal $119 price plus free shipping if one uses the code "piratex" when ordering. (I saw this on another forum).

Below is a photo of the bracket that I made for the VisionX lights. I was amazed at the light output. My intent was to enhance the daytime visibility and I've aimed to lights so as not to blind on-coming drivers. A test in the early evening with the lights on and off made me realize that I'm always going to have the VisionX lights on at night. When I turned the LED lights off, I thought that my headlamp had burned out - Nope! Just the light output of the LEDs seems much greater than the stock headlight.

[/QUOTE]
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #44
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 316
Another source of LED lights and mounts is -
http://www.martinfabrication.com/Mar...Pages/BMW.html

These LED lights are about $100 for the pair and come in an aluminum housing. They are fairly small (about 2 to 2.5 inches in diameter). The company sells various mounting systems and wiring harnesses with the lights (for an additional charge). I got a couple pair for my R1100RS (based on the nice mount made for the lights) and Triumph Tiger. The mounts for the Tiger are more generic and are intended to mount to the lower fork legs. I may use the generic mounts on another bike an put some VisionX lights on the Tiger as I've already worked out a mounting system that uses the Thunderbike crash bars on the Tiger.
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #45
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsmoto
Another source of LED lights and mounts is -
http://www.martinfabrication.com/Mar...Pages/BMW.html

These LED lights are about $100 for the pair and come in an aluminum housing. They are fairly small (about 2 to 2.5 inches in diameter). The company sells various mounting systems and wiring harnesses with the lights (for an additional charge). I got a couple pair for my R1100RS (based on the nice mount made for the lights) and Triumph Tiger. The mounts for the Tiger are more generic and are intended to mount to the lower fork legs. I may use the generic mounts on another bike an put some VisionX lights on the Tiger as I've already worked out a mounting system that uses the Thunderbike crash bars on the Tiger.
All I can find at the link you provided is halogen lights. There are also HID's but using huge analog ballasts and at a $300 premium over the halogen items.