User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
quasigentrified OP
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 790
fack the epa and emissions standards

tired of the sketchy fueling, burpy low speed throttles, and twee-sounding heavy-ass exhausts as well as the myriad issues that arise when manufacturers have to muck up fueling algorithms, and/or slap in shitty charcoal canisters and exhaust changes just to sell stateside. tired of having to download fuel maps every time i get a new bike, and buying power commanders/boosterplugs et al to get the bike to perform at starts and low speeds the way it was DESIGNED, not the way it was hacked and/or dubiously reprogrammed up six months before stateside delivery because HURRRR.

look, i recognize the need to curb the countless chemicals we spew all willy-nilly into the atmosphere. i respect that desire for stewardship. so maybe (!) i'm being a hypocrite, but the one thing i dislike about getting a new bike (as opposed to used or older one) is having to unwind -- usually with a cost, since i am a poor mechanic at this juncture -- all the shit the epa requires manufacturers to do to meet standards created by folks who have never ridden a bike. the result? i'm not sure forcing manufacturers to spend money compromising their designs only to have the owners attempt to undo the epa-required mods really does much other than allow a few lazy nannies to pat themselves on the back...

anyway, maybe i'm wrong. i just wanted to rage a bit after fucking up the vapor canister removal from my america and then having to shame-facedly pay a pal to fix my mess.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,261
Encourage others to stop at 2-3 kids. There's no need for more. If the planet wasn't as crowded, we could all drive diesels with no emissions equipment...if we wanted to. Water could be clean too. Land wouldn't have to be as developed. Landfills wouldn't have to be as monstrous or as numerous. Food production wouldn't have to be on such a large scale.

Go forth. Be fruitful and multiply...by one or maybe two.

The rich wouldn't be happy with their decrease in profits though. Oh darn.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
tired of the sketchy
and I am tired of ignorance, Euro 6/VI regulations are the more stringent
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
Farmer Hank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
tired of the sketchy fueling, burpy low speed throttles, and twee-sounding heavy-ass exhausts as well as the myriad issues that arise when manufacturers have to muck up fueling algorithms, and/or slap in shitty charcoal canisters and exhaust changes just to sell stateside. tired of having to download fuel maps every time i get a new bike, and buying power commanders/boosterplugs et al to get the bike to perform at starts and low speeds the way it was DESIGNED, not the way it was hacked and/or dubiously reprogrammed up six months before stateside delivery because HURRRR.
My 2014 V-Strom fuels great off idle and anywhere else. It runs fine and starts fine and sounds good to me with every piece of stock emissions and exhaust in place. Maybe you're too picky, maybe you bought the wrong bikes, or maybe you're a luddite. Please select one of these options and get back to us.
Farmer Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
quasigentrified OP
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 790
i'll go with "picky". that works.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Hank View Post
My 2014 V-Strom fuels great off idle and anywhere else. It runs fine and starts fine and sounds good to me with every piece of stock emissions and exhaust in place. Maybe you're too picky, maybe you bought the wrong bikes, or maybe you're a luddite. Please select one of these options and get back to us.
I think mfrs are getting better at making bikes run acceptable with the current regs but it's not easy. It takes more sophisticated hardest hardware like cars have which of course costs more.

What sucks more is going locked ECUs that don't allow user changes.

Welcome to the lawyer/left wing reality.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,243
The high-specific-output high-reliability low-cost high-efficiency easily-modified engines we enjoy today are due in no small part to mandatory emissions regulations.

It's not all upside, but even ignoring the environmental aspects of it I am very confident that regulation has been a net positive for enthusiasts.

The "good old days" when cars had 25 hp/liter, got 14 mpg, relied on balancing spring pressure and vacuum to regulate fueling, and only had 5-digit odometers because even the manufacturers didn't expect them to make it 100k? No thanks.

The fact that you can no longer routinely see the air in LA is just a side benefit.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
i'm not sure forcing manufacturers to spend money compromising their designs only to have the owners attempt to undo the epa-required mods really does much other than allow a few lazy nannies to pat themselves on the back...
The appearance of doing something is much more important than actual results to those people.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
The "good old days" when cars had 25 hp/liter, got 14 mpg
thanks for letting me know my first car, a '68 Beetle was high performance at 35hp/liter and it got 30±mpg
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,502
@post #2: + infinity

@post #3: + 1
Old 01-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #11
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 470
Screw new

I'm with you, as much as I love bringing home a brand new bike, it is too expensive when you factor the must do mods into purchase price. I won't say "Never again" because I might, but it always made me angry to plop down X amount of my cash on a new bike, then pony up another 2k on exhaust, intake mods, ECU mapping, and whatever else was required to get the new bike up to snuff. Not to mention the air injection, charcoal canister, super lean doo dad removal sessions.

I prefer a well sorted used bike or an older bike that pre-dates the stupidity of the nanny state. There are so many bikes out there sitting in garages, not racking up miles, just waiting for life event that forces a quick sale. That's where I shop.

As far as carbon footprint goes, my little 1 liter engine even a little rich is still much cleaner that my neighbors F350 super duty that he commutes (1 person) and poses next to. Now before anybody in North America or Europe starts to feel like they are the problem, look at India, China, Russia, Africa, I.e. Anywhere else and then tell me that my CB1100 is the Devil.

BTW: I support my neighbors right to drive anything he wants because he pays for it, not me. I understand some of us have 10 horses and a 45 ft fishing boat, and use their trucks to dig wells for underprivileged communities. That's cool, even if you just like monster trucks, that's very cool and in America you don't have to justify jacks hit.

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #12
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Encourage others to stop at 2-3 kids. There's no need for more. If the planet wasn't as crowded, we could all drive diesels with no emissions equipment...if we wanted to. Water could be clean too. Land wouldn't have to be as developed. Landfills wouldn't have to be as monstrous or as numerous. Food production wouldn't have to be on such a large scale.

Go forth. Be fruitful and multiply...by one or maybe two.

The rich wouldn't be happy with their decrease in profits though. Oh darn.
My wife got her ring because she said "no kids". Breading is a big problem in this country.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #13
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
My wife got her ring because she said "no kids". Breading is a big problem in this country.
I think that was a mistake on both your parts. Kids are great. Just my opinion. Everytime I ride behind an vintage automobile, I am reminded just how bad the air was in the 1960s and how thankful I am for emission standards.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #14
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,625
I didn't see a problem with the air around here in the 60s and I don't see one now.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #15
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
I didn't see a problem with the air around here in the 60s and I don't see one now.
Yeah, me either, but we don't live in the places that do.