Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #151
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Have her read this thread and GET A PHONE.

duh
Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #152
JimboX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Well, I sure don't feel old but I've been riding on the road for 38 years, with 7 in the dirt prior to that. I don't plan on stopping. I enjoy it more all the time.
JimboX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #153
Kitfoxer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Turning 75 in June. Last year rode from Missoula, MT to Johnson City TN for the BMW rally then to the Blue Ridge Parkway, back to TN to do Deal's Gap then up to Oshkosh, WI for the airshow. If you stay in shape, I don't really see what age has to do with it. Put 62000 miles in the last four years and have no plans to stop. What should one buy for yourself as a 75th birthday present, I just got a new BMW 1200GS. As I say I have no plans to stop
Kitfoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #154
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitfoxer
Turning 75 in June. Last year rode from Missoula, MT to Johnson City TN for the BMW rally then to the Blue Ridge Parkway, back to TN to do Deal's Gap then up to Oshkosh, WI for the airshow. If you stay in shape, I don't really see what age has to do with it. Put 62000 miles in the last four years and have no plans to stop. What should one buy for yourself as a 75th birthday present, I just got a new BMW 1200GS. As I say I have no plans to stop
Hey Kit... a very happy birthday to you.
I'm celebrating 61 next week. I'll take your post as an early gift
of inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

t.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #155
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
old guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS
Either bring her or carry a phone!
I guess you could get one of thoes gps spot things for tracking . It lets folks know where you are , that might be a problem.. Another problem with them is when there is a failure
some one is going to wonder why you have not moved for 48 hours : down the bank? all kinds of thoughs could cross ones mind . I vote for the cell phone and frequent calls .. just an old guys advise....
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #156
The Roller
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Old riders

Well, I'm 74 in May and I just completed a trip from Hamilton, Canada to Green Valley, Arizona last fall. Took me from September 9th to October 1st for the round trip - about 9000 KM (5500 Miles). I ran into rain that I couldn't see through and temperatures as low as 42 degrees F as well as temperatures in the 100's in Arizona. If I did it again, I would pick a warmer month. Met some awesome people along the way (I was alone) and had the trip of my life.
The Roller
The Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #157
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Thumb

I just want to say that you guys rock! Keep riding and stay young!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #158
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
Just checkin' this thread out to see what it must be like to get old. Not too bad, apparently. Won't turn 80 for 9 more years, and I'll see if I'm starting to feel old then. Sure hope not... got places to go, things to see. But I might have to cut back on doing 1000 mile days on the Dalton Hwy.
And I can vouch for you still wearing Men's Undies

I must post those photos
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #159
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,981
All Bow to the Queen

Ardys Kellerman

http://pnwriders.com/general-discuss...e-contest.html

She also bagged the Big Kahuna at Age 74

Ardys Rides over 100,000 Miles In One Year

Traveling over 100,000 miles in one year is something usually only accomplished by astronauts or long-haul truck drivers. Traveling over 100,000 miles on a motorcycle in one year is almost unimaginable. How about a great grandmother riding a motorcycle over 100,000 miles in one year? Can you imagine that? Our friend Ardys Kellerman rode her BMW motorcycles a total of 103,345 miles between April 8, 2006 and April 7, 2007. Ardys (pronounced "ar-diss") is one of the top long-distance motorcycle riders in the world and she was recently inducted into a very exclusive club by the Iron Butt Association.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5998

I had the honour once of moving her motorcycle for her, and it was an honour
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #160
Dieselnerd
Seasoned Citizen

Oddometer: 7
I started riding in 1954, stopped for a few years while I served in the Navy. Got out, got married, got a good job, had kids and started riding again.

After a long career in a large corporation (riding all along) I retired in 1990. By then I was mostly riding Harley big twins but kept a smaller bike to take along on RV camping trips.

A few years ago I sold my last two bikes and decided to stick to ATV's. We spend our winters in AZ and this past winter I saw a lot of guys my age riding motorcycles and got the fever again.

You guessed it, a couple of weeks ago I got a new BMW F650GS 800cc twin. The perfect fun size bike for me and I feel like a kid again.

I'm 74 and don't plan on quitting any time soon.
Dieselnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #161
retarded
n00b

Oddometer: 2
66 & lovinit!

I'll be 67 in August and I am trying to find someone to ride along with me to Alaska.I can leave anytime but would like to leave in June.I ride a FJR1300 and a gtx200 cc Honda dirt bike.I started riding at 13 and hope to ride untill at least 80.I live 1/2 the year in the Dominican Republic and the other half in SE Alabama.I still have 20 year old girlfriends in the DR and love every day of living because I live!!!!!!!!!!!!!
retarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #162
Medic
Window licker

Oddometer: 597
Speaking of old!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgZSnAkQc4c

Brisbane convention centre tonight.......WOOHOO can't wait!
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #163
turbodave_98
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Laugh old riders

I am soon to be 69 riding since 1955. I rode the entire 11 days of the 2009 Iron Butt Rally doing nearly 8000 miles but was not a finishier because of to few bonus points. I had a great time and was never exhausted but did hit some extreme hot(115) days in TX,AZ,CA. I feel satisfied with the results of the finish and hope to get alnother opportunity for a slot in 2011 IBR. Rode a well equipped FJR 1300 AE in 2009 but [plan on riding my 09 Weestrom in 2011 if lucky.

So of us realize that : "We are never to old to ride and not riding does make us Old"

I plan to run my tires till there ain't nothing left except the cords!!

turbodave_98 screwed with this post 04-27-2010 at 02:51 PM
turbodave_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #164
hockabigloogy
Got Buddah?

Oddometer: 86
Thanks for the complement....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow
I just want to say that you guys rock! Keep riding and stay young!

BUT YOU KIDS JUST KEEP OUT OF OUR OLD GUYS THREAD!!!!
hockabigloogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #165
OLDNX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Woke up Sunday felt 80, full 9 hour shift at work, plus 3 hours at the airport welcoming home a WW2 honor flight. Had a cup of coffee felt 75, had a second cup felt 70. Looked a honey do list felt 80 again. Better 15/16ths took one look at my sad old face and said go, felt 55. Took 20 min gettin in to FULL ATGATT, pressure suit, knee brace, armored undies, Kilimanjaro, overpants, fly atv boots and X-11 felt 50.
Fired up the trusty NX650, slipped into gear and felt 45. Got out of town and found a dirt road I havent been on and opened her up felt 35. Went to upshift on a long straight and was out of gears, glanced at speedo and was doing 70 mph on a washed out sandy POS back road felt 25 [as good as it gets]. Put 117 miles on the clock before I rolled back into the barn.

Oh yeah i am 61 and only feel old when I am NOT riding

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck
OLDNX is offline   Reply With Quote