Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #256
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Well... don't know if I qualify as "older", as I'm only 74. But I gotta go get my Concours that I left in Pennsylvania last September and ride it back home to Alaska. Hafta hustle a little too, as I won't be leaving PA until around the end of May, down to Atlanta for a visit, a few more visits along the way, and have to be in Dawson City for D2D by the 20th of June.

So many miles, so little time. It's tough , but we manage.
I figure your over qualified :0). Sounds like great trip coming up!
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #257
InsideThePerimeter
North GA bound

Oddometer: 140
I didn't learn to ride until I was 49.

If you Don't Believe in Freedom For All -You Don't Believe in Freedom at All
InsideThePerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #258
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Older riders

Gonna drag this thread out again. Life is going pretty good when you are lucky enough to riding that bike down the road . Not many things beat it .When I am on that bike nothing beats it :0)
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:06 AM   #259
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
started riding four years ago at age 45. i will be 49 next month. i don't consider that old, but old is closer then not at this point in my life. and 45 years old is certainly not when most riders become....riders, i would think. and a daily rider at that

i think its the years of reference behind me which makes it very special for me, if i may write a bit here about it. i did not grow up around 'cycles and drove in Los Angeles for 27 years before hopping on a bike, which was a 150cc scooter. i always remembered the ONE time i rode a mini bike for a day when around 10 years old. the scooter took me back to that time, but tbh this time was even better, and more than i expected. it was undeniable, i had to ride. what that means to my life is still happening

this is most likely the greatest thing to ever happen to this guy. i never had kids for reasons beyond my control, for the most part. so lets put that aside. i am not highly educated, have worked but a few jobs, and have what many would consider just a regular 'ol job now. i have had some girlfriends, married once, and am dating now. all those things, common as they are, good as they are, do not and have not done what motorcycling has done for me

is it something to do with age and experience which makes me committed to riding just about before all else? maybe, maybe not? i don't know what makes young(er) folks ride, or if they can appreciate it as well as i? i know some can. but i always marvel when i read ads for bikes and the seller says "graduated college, finally got a car, don't need or ride bike anymore?"

'WTF' is all i can say to that. in my mind you should dump the car and all else that is keeping you from riding. or at least keep the bike! but i can't ride or live for others. all i can say is this old man could not trade this for just about anything. and driving in crowded, car jammed, sunny L.A is completely out of the question now

it has freed me, made me looser and more in touch with the city, and other motorist. today i stopped next to a woman in a car at a light. she had her window half down and was alone. i asked her for directions. but before i got the first sentence out she rolled up her window, looked down and smiled. was she scared? did she think i was trying to pick her up? idk, but it struck me odd. another gentleman, cocooned in his Benz, told me he could not roll down his window further because it was....too hot outside

that used to be ME. but now its a new me, pretty much. a better me. all from riding on a daily

i have been riding the local freeways for a few months, now. tonight, as is usual, i had a few closer calls, and some not so near misses. Lane Splitting 101 is still in session experience wise on the freeways. but i know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em, so to speak, and i saw them coming before the offending drivers knew i was there. i am invisible, this old guy. and i know it. however all i can do at speed is make the best decision i can and keep on riding, head on a swivel when need be. i am also going to make a thread in the regional SoCal forum here, to discuss riding local freeways. tips, tricks, and sound advice i am sure to get from this fine website

its an inside job, this change i feel. it is starting to feel fundamental, seeping into my bones, and i can't think or see life in any other way atm. i have a lot less years left then i used to at this point, and i see no reason to go back now

yup, i am old{er} and started out older. do i regret not riding sooner? nope. but i'd regret it for what is left of my life if i stopped riding now

DudeClone screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 02:22 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:44 AM   #260
LudemJo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Well said DudeClone. Very well written, and hits very close to home as I have just gotten back on a bike after a 15 year hiatus. I am now 56, and have found that riding gives me an energy that I don't get from any car. I love riding, and am now really trying to figure out how to add more bikes to the stable. I commute most every day about 40 miles round trip, and my wife and I take a significant ride two-up out into the country at least once every weekend.

I am so happy that I have decided to get back on a bike...it makes me feel ALIVE!

John
LudemJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #261
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,085
Started on a Vespa at 12, now retired riding a KTM at 62.
Looking forward to many more days with the knees in the breeze.
May have slowed down a bit. Haven't received a Driving Award for many years. (knock on wood) Had a few warnings. Having ATGATT, good attitude and a white beard helps when some young whipper snapper stops and checks out the Old Man.
Try to keep it fresh...
Ride with new people, sometimes take a pillion, find new roads, and I only ride when feeling good. (for safety) No hangover riding for me! Know when to ride aggressively and when to coast along with the pack. Blast off or back off!
Learning more about bike maintenance all the time. Glad to have discovered this site. It is the greatest resource for useful information and unmitigated BS ever to behold.
Stay tuned...
Old 08-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #262
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
I haven't read all the replies, but I'm 68 and ride a 26 yo K75 and just bought a 2014 DL1000......ride almost daily. Planning a trip to Baja in Nov. My wife, who is 20 years younger than I rides an '09 1250 Bandit (which I originally bought for myself)
Old 08-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #263
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
started riding four years ago at age 45. i will be 49 next month. i don't consider that old, but old is closer then not at this point in my life. and 45 years old is certainly not when most riders become....riders, i would think. and a daily rider at that

i think its the years of reference behind me which makes it very special for me, if i may write a bit here about it. i did not grow up around 'cycles and drove in Los Angeles for 27 years before hopping on a bike, which was a 150cc scooter. i always remembered the ONE time i rode a mini bike for a day when around 10 years old. the scooter took me back to that time, but tbh this time was even better, and more than i expected. it was undeniable, i had to ride. what that means to my life is still happening

this is most likely the greatest thing to ever happen to this guy. i never had kids for reasons beyond my control, for the most part. so lets put that aside. i am not highly educated, have worked but a few jobs, and have what many would consider just a regular 'ol job now. i have had some girlfriends, married once, and am dating now. all those things, common as they are, good as they are, do not and have not done what motorcycling has done for me

is it something to do with age and experience which makes me committed to riding just about before all else? maybe, maybe not? i don't know what makes young(er) folks ride, or if they can appreciate it as well as i? i know some can. but i always marvel when i read ads for bikes and the seller says "graduated college, finally got a car, don't need or ride bike anymore?"

'WTF' is all i can say to that. in my mind you should dump the car and all else that is keeping you from riding. or at least keep the bike! but i can't ride or live for others. all i can say is this old man could not trade this for just about anything. and driving in crowded, car jammed, sunny L.A is completely out of the question now

it has freed me, made me looser and more in touch with the city, and other motorist. today i stopped next to a woman in a car at a light. she had her window half down and was alone. i asked her for directions. but before i got the first sentence out she rolled up her window, looked down and smiled. was she scared? did she think i was trying to pick her up? idk, but it struck me odd. another gentleman, cocooned in his Benz, told me he could not roll down his window further because it was....too hot outside

that used to be ME. but now its a new me, pretty much. a better me. all from riding on a daily

i have been riding the local freeways for a few months, now. tonight, as is usual, i had a few closer calls, and some not so near misses. Lane Splitting 101 is still in session experience wise on the freeways. but i know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em, so to speak, and i saw them coming before the offending drivers knew i was there. i am invisible, this old guy. and i know it. however all i can do at speed is make the best decision i can and keep on riding, head on a swivel when need be. i am also going to make a thread in the regional SoCal forum here, to discuss riding local freeways. tips, tricks, and sound advice i am sure to get from this fine website

its an inside job, this change i feel. it is starting to feel fundamental, seeping into my bones, and i can't think or see life in any other way atm. i have a lot less years left then i used to at this point, and i see no reason to go back now

yup, i am old{er} and started out older. do i regret not riding sooner? nope. but i'd regret it for what is left of my life if i stopped riding now
Yep!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 AM   #264
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Just turned 67

Just "celebrated" my 67 birthday. One week latter purchased a new 2014 BMW G650GS. The Givi windscreen should arrive today and the Jesse bags arrive tomorrow.

I still enjoy adding accessories to a new bike and planning trips. Seems like most of my riding friends are are my age or older, so I don't feel "old" yet!
IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #265
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post

The biggest issue i suffer is the huge disconnect i experience
every morning when i look in the mirror and this guy 35 years
older than me stares on back. Old coot.
I understand that. I look in the mirror and see my father looking back. 67 yrs old. Enjoying retirement and the time I have by riding.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #266
Stray Dog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I'm 61, been riding since I was 16, so 45 years so far
Still not sure if I want it as a permanent hobby...

Dog
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #267
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 564
Senior Citizens on Mulholland....Encinal....

I'm 58 and my goal is to one day drag knees/elbows on The Snake right in line with the 20-somethings and end up on one of RNickeyMouse's NON-CRASH compilation videos!

Stupid?

Probably, but that's what keeps me young!
wadenelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #268
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
We all hit old age at different times. Up until I was 50 I was fit and could do almost anything I could at age 21 and in the US Marines. At 50 I had a big heart attack that was followed by a quadruple heart bi-pass. That broke my health, I still rode 15,000 to 20,000 miles per year. Within the next year I developed multiple diseases in addition to my heart disease. Still, if I set my mind to things I could still do many things that I had done before. By my late 50's I noticed that I was slowing down, riding only 10,000 to 15,000 miles per year and could do less and less (three more heart attacks in those years). In the last couple of years even my motorcycle riding has slowed. I pretty much stopped riding my V-Strom as I was having pain pulling the clutch. Bought a Burgman 650 with an automatic transmission a little over a year ago to keep riding. This summer I have put less than 2000 miles on the bike. I just don't feel good enough to ride most of the time now. My Cardiologist told me yesterday that I have run out of options. I now have unstable angina at rest and there are no more meds that can be added to help. I am now SOL. Still riding in my head every day even though not so much in reality. I do get the bike (the Burgman) out when I am feeling better and at least ride locally some (about once every week or so).

What I am trying to say is that to enjoy riding. I started riding at age 11 and have loved each and every moment of it for my entire life. And remember, you aren't old until your body tells you that you are coming to the end. Only then, when your body is giving up on you; then you are old what ever age that is.

An old man who still rides,
Doug from Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #269
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Sorry to hear that Doug. Pretty tough to just go ride when you're not up to it.

I always chuckle at these young guys on the forums talking about weight of bikes and how 'you should just spend a little more time at the gym'. Yeah right, huh? I tell 'em wait 'till you're 50 and then talk to me. I'm not getting any stronger or faster, nor younger. The bikes are harder and harder to pick up so I've just decided to not ever lay them down.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #270
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFromKentucky View Post
We all hit old age at different times. Up until I was 50 I was fit and could do almost anything I could at age 21 and in the US Marines. At 50 I had a big heart attack that was followed by a quadruple heart bi-pass. That broke my health, I still rode 15,000 to 20,000 miles per year. Within the next year I developed multiple diseases in addition to my heart disease. Still, if I set my mind to things I could still do many things that I had done before. By my late 50's I noticed that I was slowing down, riding only 10,000 to 15,000 miles per year and could do less and less (three more heart attacks in those years). In the last couple of years even my motorcycle riding has slowed. I pretty much stopped riding my V-Strom as I was having pain pulling the clutch. Bought a Burgman 650 with an automatic transmission a little over a year ago to keep riding. This summer I have put less than 2000 miles on the bike. I just don't feel good enough to ride most of the time now. My Cardiologist told me yesterday that I have run out of options. I now have unstable angina at rest and there are no more meds that can be added to help. I am now SOL. Still riding in my head every day even though not so much in reality. I do get the bike (the Burgman) out when I am feeling better and at least ride locally some (about once every week or so).

What I am trying to say is that to enjoy riding. I started riding at age 11 and have loved each and every moment of it for my entire life. And remember, you aren't old until your body tells you that you are coming to the end. Only then, when your body is giving up on you; then you are old what ever age that is.

An old man who still rides,
Doug from Kentucky
this is a very inspiring, and sobering, post. thanks for putting it up

if i may ask, what is wrong with the heart? do they just start going bad at 50? heck man, it sounds exactly like we are discussing a part on a motorcycle

"it was great until 50K. these fuel pumps usually fail around 50K. and even once fixed they can go down again"

i really look after myself, too. and get check every few years. but i have had chest pains most of my life. even now. but the docs swear my heart, and all related, are fine. i have no blockage, build up, or otherwise. "healthy" heart, they say

i say i can't be too careful and like you, love to ride. so, what of these heart attacks? i hate when i read "it can happen to anyone." i think 'if it will happen to anyone it will be me, with the chest pains since his 20's'

hope not