Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #91
Ange.of.all.trades
Perspex Rules

Oddometer: 28
Mike!!! Is this true? It's your birthday today?!! So you're a fellow Aquarian, no wonder we are both inventive/creative!

Happy birthday mate, I hope you are having a few (too many) to celebrate!
Ange.of.all.trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #92
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange.of.all.trades
Mike!!! Is this true? It's your birthday today?!! So you're a fellow Aquarian, no wonder we are both inventive/creative!

Happy birthday mate, I hope you are having a few (too many) to celebrate!
best birthday ever, heading down the niger river on a massive traditionally built grain ship. took a week for a round trip. Have some awesome pics, including a couple of hippo pics.

Stink biut is one of the crew stole my passport credit cards and money a couple of hours before the end. I had a wash and left ny money belt clipped to a pole. had a sick panic a little while later and rushed back but it was gone... so the pics will have to wait while I sort out my cards and passport and travel insurance.

Mike
dont.crash.it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #93
Ange.of.all.trades
Perspex Rules

Oh Mikey that really, really SUCKS! I hope you manage to sort it all out with the police, then go back and burn their beautiful boat!! Why do people have to stoop so god damn low??? If you need any help sorting things out from the UK let me know eh? I feel for you man!!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #94
brothernath
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dont.crash.it

Stink biut is one of the crew stole my passport credit cards and money a couple of hours before the end. I had a wash and left ny money belt clipped to a pole. had a sick panic a little while later and rushed back but it was gone... so the pics will have to wait while I sort out my cards and passport and travel insurance.

Mike
C U Next Tuesday Sammy !!!!!

Suppose there is sweet Fanny Adams you can do about it too huh ??? At least you still have your camera. Shame you didn't catch them at it, could have fed them to the hippo's - that'll be a great photo !!!
brothernath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #95
draincleaner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Pissed draincleaner

Hi MIKE
Fix the buggers get a bone and point it at the Bastards that will shit them off for weeks

Keep it up Dad & Mum
draincleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 AM   #96
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,009
Bluhduh Mmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont.crash.it
best birthday ever, heading down the niger river on a massive traditionally built grain ship. took a week for a round trip. Have some awesome pics, including a couple of hippo pics.

Mike
Bugger. Fingies x'd you get it sorted.
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 AM   #97
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet
Bugger. Fingies x'd you get it sorted.
got new passport application off yesterday, should get to london on monday and be processed that night. Hope my bank cards have arrived by then too.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #98
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

poxy headlights won't work now

My headlights don't work. (park light, and low and high beam).

Switch any light on, the lights do not go, and the voltage supplied measures half a volt?

However, when the ignition is switched ON and the lights are switched OFF...
- power to fuse 1 (lights) is 12.5v
- power to fuse 2 is 12.9v

Also, I used an alligator clip to introduce power to the circuit (to the bottom of the fuse holder) direct from the battery - everything works perfectly. hmm

My next trick was to remove all the fuses and disconnect the battery and unplug the regulator. I measured the resistance between the fuse 1 socket and the socket that connects to the regulator. There was no resistance measurable to the fuse 2, but some resistance to (fuse1).

The wiring diagram shows the ignition has two switches, one to complete the lighting circuit and another for fuse 2. I would have expected the resistance and voltage to measure the same at both points.

My guess is the ignition switch is full of crud at the voltage measured is disappearing once load is on the circuit? I don't want to touch it at all though.

I have a sketchy understanding of electricity and am using patience and extreme stubbornness to fix it. One thought is hard wire the supply direct to the battery (through the existing fuse). The second is to make this connection through the relay I added for heated grips and ignore the underlying problem for now. Option three is to painstakingly clean every socket and switch and hope its fixed without understanding what the problem is (like close MS Windows and restarting the computer and crossing fingers).

any ideas?

Mike
Old 02-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #99
Ange.of.all.trades
Perspex Rules

Hey Mikey, I think you are right from what I've read its probably the switch... check out these websites,not sure if they are are good...

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...lectrical.html

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml go to the switches section.

Good luck! Ange
Old 02-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #100
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
KTM 640 ADV Windshield!

Great RR! Enjoying the adventure! As a tall 640 rider, I'm admiring your windscreen... Where did you find it, or did you make it yourself?

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 AM   #101
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ange.of.all.trades
Hey Mikey, I think you are right from what I've read its probably the switch... check out these websites,not sure if they are are good...

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...lectrical.html

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml go to the switches section.

Good luck! Ange
Found the problem, the flug from the ignition swithch into the main wiring harness. the pins in the plug are pretty light-weight and made a poor contact. The resistance here eventually heated and burnt out the contact. I cut the wires from the back of the plug and socket and connected them more robustly. All good eh

Also cleaned and oiled my air filter (and spare), replaced the spark plug, done some other tidying of electrics and sorted my pannier rack. fun fun fun
Old 03-01-2010, 04:28 AM   #102
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Mike
Great RR! Enjoying the adventure! As a tall 640 rider, I'm admiring your windscreen... Where did you find it, or did you make it yourself?
hey fella, you may have to quiz Ange about that (ange of all trades) as she was project leader on that job. The screen is a piece of 3mm perspex.

We took of the fairing and then Ange made a cardboard template for the screen. Getting that right, she transfered the pattern to a sheet of perspex and then taped the cardboard to the fairing.

That done, Ange cut out the screen with a jigsaw and baked it in the oven. Once soft and floppy we dropped the perpex onto the fairing and cardboard and waited for it to cool. Volia

I took over from here as I took the screen home across to the other side of London. The screen was a bit turned to the left so I heated it over a gas hob and twisted it straight. then getting adventerous, I used a couple of magazines and teatowels to make a gentle curve to shape the lip of the screen (magazines proped up on folded teatowels so the sides drooped down). I then heated the top edge of the screen and gentle rolled it on the magazines to make the lip.

The next step was to add the trim (five quid from Halfords) and heavy velcro, the stuff that takes a screw driver to pull apart.

Was pretty straight forward and didn't cost much. it makes a big difference too.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #103
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Sounds pretty straight forward! Thanks!!

Have an extra fairing, so don't even have to take that off!
Looking forward to more RR! Great Pictures too!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV

Tall Mike screwed with this post 03-01-2010 at 08:54 PM
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:43 AM   #104
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds pretty straight forward! Thanks!!

Have an extra fairing, so don't even have to take that off!
Looking forward to more RR! Great Pictures too!
yeah really is easy, cut out a template heat it and plop it on the fairing. The heat of the perspex didn't mark the paint either.

A electric paint stripper (hot air gun) is great for bending tweaking perspex too. I made a headlight lens protector for my old cbx750f2 bolder in much the same way maybe 15 years ago too.

I am stuck in Bamako waiting for a new passport so I can take measurements to relive the bordom if you need.

Mike
Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 AM   #105
dont.crash.it OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Oh yeah, I've stacked up two sets of the 18mm bar risers on my bike too. Is so much more comfortable and can stand without stooping. I've got the standard cables too. Only snag is I've rolled right hand grip around a bit to give the accelerator cables a little more room.

The cables cover the kill switch now though, but isn't too bad considering I did this on the road. Also I used 100 cap bolts and had to grind the heads down a little so they'd fit properly.