Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Ever put your bike on an empty semi truck?

I'm not asking about transport services, I'm talking about walking up to a guy at a truck stop who is going your direction and putting your bike on the back of his semi truck. Seems like it could work if you slipped him some cash and just rode with him for a couple days.

Being on a 35 year old bike there's no shame in saving wear and tear on my machine and getting where I really want to be. If I was on a modern machine I'd feel different. Has anyone tried this or see an obvious obstacle I'm not thinking of?
kerncountykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
dump-a-thump
lapsed atheist

Oddometer: 559
more of an issue is the fact company drivers usually can't carry passengers.

An owner/operator has more room to choose, but not too much. You are better off with a van body than deck truck, but beggars can't be choosers.

Have you ridden in a semi seat? The passenger seat in my freightliner is from gitmo...
dump-a-thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Bike on truck?

YUP! A long time ago in South Australia....Made it from Adelaide towards Darwin, Northern Territory....ended up having to hitchhike with my bike....made it riding to Glendambo, South Australia....camped out/hung out there for two full days and nights till I found a truckie willing to take me and Honda 250XL. He was hauling fuel to remote camps...had a personalized plate too "Rayllee" or similar (1985 so memory fades)...saw some cool out-of-the-way places I certainly wouldn't have otherwise seen....I eventually sold the bike off the truck at a mining camp...it had to be unloaded via a front end loader bucket.....In short..it CAN be done..patience, good luck, openness, friendliness, sense of adventure...it was awesome.....good luck with it.

yatman
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
Old 12-25-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker
that'll work! I guess ya'll are right, might be hard to do with all the regulations. Finding someone moving cross country in a box van is the best bet. Craigslist has worked for me once before with something similar.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,945
In America, if you don't have nice tits, don't ask to be a passenger.

Not being PC, but I AM being realistic.

Almost 99% of all box vans have security seals on the trailers. If it is food, or valuable, it's sealed. If it ain't valuable, no one pays to have it shipped.

Flat bed trailers are the easiest. They often have room for one more piece. Now add the extra cost of loading and loading.

In the old days, bedbuggers (moving vans) were easy to catch an extra hundred bucks or so. They also carry ramps.

Plain and simple, a truck driver doesn't or won't take a passenger unless three things.

1. Your female and easy to look at or least sleazy.

2. Your willingly gay and so is your driver

3. You need salvation and will spend the next 100 hours being converted and reading Watchtower outloud.

Trucking insurance regulations forbid passengers. If you catch a ride with a driver willing to break the rules, 10 to 1 he's not a safe driver.

22 years in the industry. I've carried a passenger twice. One was a broke down driver I carried to the next truck stop, one was a desperate female looking for a ride INTO a hurricane zone as she was looking for her family. I was carrying bottled water in and it was a police officer who asked me to carry her.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyprimate
In America, if you don't have nice tits, don't ask to be a passenger.

Not being PC, but I AM being realistic.

Almost 99% of all box vans have security seals on the trailers. If it is food, or valuable, it's sealed. If it ain't valuable, no one pays to have it shipped.

Flat bed trailers are the easiest. They often have room for one more piece. Now add the extra cost of loading and loading.

In the old days, bedbuggers (moving vans) were easy to catch an extra hundred bucks or so. They also carry ramps.

Plain and simple, a truck driver doesn't or won't take a passenger unless three things.

1. Your female and easy to look at or least sleazy.

2. Your willingly gay and so is your driver

3. You need salvation and will spend the next 100 hours being converted and reading Watchtower outloud.

Trucking insurance regulations forbid passengers. If you catch a ride with a driver willing to break the rules, 10 to 1 he's not a safe driver.

22 years in the industry. I've carried a passenger twice. One was a broke down driver I carried to the next truck stop, one was a desperate female looking for a ride INTO a hurricane zone as she was looking for her family. I was carrying bottled water in and it was a police officer who asked me to carry her.
My definition of box van is a moving van, uhaul & the like. Up the ramp, a hundred bucks in their pocket and someone to help drive. that'll be the way to do it. either that or i get breast implants...
Old 12-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
dump-a-thump
lapsed atheist

Oddometer: 559
wow, KLRs must be heavy...

Just a though would be try to ask a low-bed operator (truck that moves heavy equipment). They don't always go on long hauls, unless there was a Ritchie sale, but the decks are easy to load on, and usually have loads of room.

I haven't heard anything about insurance issues, but then again I'm in Canada. Most companies that have a no pax do it to save time. We don't have that many sealed trailers, either. And we picked up hitch-hikers pretty often, but a truck does cost $100/hr to run, and unless you have a power tailgate, it'll take a spell to load the bike up.

But there are all sorts of rules in the US, it being the land of the free and all...
dump-a-thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
A few years ago ( ok more than a few years ago) Let me start again.
In 1991 I cooked a front wheel bearing on my fully dressed FLH about 30 miles West of Kamloops, British Columbia.
I was limping along, stopping ocassionally to let it cool, and I noticed an empty B train ( highway truck with 2 lumber trailers) watching me. He would pass me when I was stopped, to check the bearing, then I would pass him as he sat on the side of the road. Finally he pulled in behind me and asked if I needed help. Luckily there was a gravel pit nearby, so I limped the bike to the pit, and we loaded the bike onto the trailer.(we found old fence boards to use for a ramp) Turns out he was going to about 10 miles from my destination to pick up a load of lumber the next day.( about 100 miles from the gravel pit)
He was a great guy. We talked bikes the whole trip. He was into bikes and had had a bar in Utah, but went broke when the liquor laws changed. So he went trucking.

He took me right to my buddy's place, and we had to unload my bike into buddies pickup then from the pickup to the driveway.
The trucker wouldn't take any money, but he was OK with drinking my beer.
I am sure he was pretty hung over when he picked up his load the next day.
I had always stopped to help fellow riders out, but since then I also try to stop and help truckers if they need it.

PS he made no indication he was gay or religious :)
BC Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Vetterfarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
my frst post in along time.. anyway way back 1964 or5 on my 64 BSA
lightning rocket touring around the country I was someware near chicago
it was time to head back west I lived in San Fran. at the time. it was
pouring rain no let up in sight so I hung around a truck stop all day watching
for the right truck to come by finally a low bed came in, I forget now the
talk I had with the driver I do remember he hauld golf carts we loaded
up, the next day I was somewere near Oaklama city out of the rain and on my home on the old route 66
Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
oldturtle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
In 1976 hit deer in Chumult, Oregon. Trucker and hunters both stopped to help. Trucker hauled me and wrecked R75/5 to Bend, Oregon. Hunters helped lift wreck up onto back of truck and kept the trophy muley. I took Greyhound back to home in SF bay area and after I healed enough I drove to Bend and picked up wreck.
2009 Suz DR650
2011 Kaw 650Versys
oldturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #12
redscare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I think you'd have better luck with a dude in a pickup. Less regulations to worry about (which have been pointed out by others).
2011 Harley XR1200X
redscare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
I can't remember the last time I've seen a semi hauling a trailer with a hydrolic liftgate. You're biggest issue is getting the bike up into the truck, you would need a LOOOOOOOONG ramp or a VERY light bike just to get it up in there.

When I was working at my uncles trucking company I had a driver pick up a bike for me on his route. But the bike was loaded from a loading dock and unloaded the same way.

Bikes get delivered off trailers all the time, but they are usually secured in moving pallets designed for it, this way no harm comes to the bike and they get loaded and unloaded with a fork lift.

With that said, sure, there usually are drivers who would be willing to do it for a few bucks. Look for an obvious owner\operator rig, not a company truck. The drivers most willing to take the few extra bucks will be the ones with old and mangy looking trucks or the exact opposite, the nice new trucks with lots of bling that they might not have paid off yet.

When you get into the cab, look behind you into the sleeper comaprtment, if you see rope, chains, knives. Get the fuck out. same goes if you see a jesus bobble head doll on the dash, those guys are just fucking scary.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
Navel
Omphaloskeptical

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
I can't remember the last time I've seen a semi hauling a trailer with a hydrolic liftgate. You're biggest issue is getting the bike up into the truck, you would need a LOOOOOOOONG ramp or a VERY light bike just to get it up in there.
When I was working at my uncles trucking company I had a driver pick up a bike for me on his route. But the bike was loaded from a loading dock and unloaded the same way.

mmm.... another idea is to find a dirtbike loading dock

With that said, sure, there usually are drivers who would be willing to do it for a few bucks. Look for an obvious owner\operator rig, not a company truck. The drivers most willing to take the few extra bucks will be the ones with old and mangy looking trucks or the exact opposite, the nice new trucks with lots of bling that they might not have paid off yet.

Good point!! thatīs exactly the kind of truck that took our Africa Twin in Morocco, isnīt it?

When you get into the cab, look behind you into the sleeper comaprtment, if you see rope, chains, knives. Get the fuck out. same goes if you see a jesus bobble head doll on the dash, those guys are just fucking scary.

Sleeper compartment?, that must belong to the 2011 model! only the bike behind us

GOOD LUCK!
Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
An old thread for sure but am asking a closely related question and found this thread doing a google search. Need to pack two KLRs on the back of a cab and chassis. A full sized semi , nothing behind the cab but frame rails. Any one does this "successfully"?
Going to deliver a truck one way about a 1,000 miles. So any platforms,tie downs ect. need to last only two days and be cheap enough to leave behind. This is a one time deal only. I'm the one driving. Not worried at all about any insurance issues or anything other than how best to secure and carry them. Plenty of equipment and hoists at either end to get bikes up there. Would rather make a ride out of this instead of flying back. Thanks for any good ideas.