User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Solo through India: Jammu and Kashmir, Agra, Varanasi and Darjeeling

Hello hello everyone! Tomorrow I depart to India for a five week motorcycle trip through the country. I'll land in New Delhi, head up north to Jammu and Kashmir (Manali, Leh, Nubra Valley, Kargil, Srinagar, Jammu) for 10-12 days or so, then head down south visiting Amritsar, Agra, Varanasi, Darjeeling and any other places that look interesting on the way.

Here is a detailed version of the route on google maps and picture below -> http://goo.gl/maps/97o13 <- It's about 5,600 km and I'll have 30 days on a bike so if I go about 200km/day I'll be able to make it. Of course some days I'll be going much further and others it'll be much shorter distances (Jammu & Kashmir).

The gear I have is basic riding pants, jacket, helmet, gloves, boots, tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad. Somehow I've been able to pack all of my riding and camping gear (except my helmet and boots) in my two bags plus all clothes, and everything else. Once I'm riding though, I'll be wearing my gear so the bags won't be bulging at the seams so much!

I was going to visit Japan, but since I'd already been there I decided to head somewhere else. At home, I have a beautiful photography book that is focused on India and it all looked so beautiful, so I decided to look into visiting India. After a little research I was convinced. Off I go!

I'll do my best to keep the RR up to date, but I'm not sure how often I'll have internet access and also be able to use the computer there to load my pictures online (I'm not taking a laptop, only a world phone).

Cheers and safe travels everyone!

97 DR350SE
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 589
Subscribed.
Are you going to ride the Kalka-Shimla and Jalpaiguri-Darjeeling narrow gauge railways?

Best of luck with the trip, and looking forward to the RR.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
Subscribed.
Are you going to ride the Kalka-Shimla and Jalpaiguri-Darjeeling narrow gauge railways?

Best of luck with the trip, and looking forward to the RR.
I probably won't. I'm not really a train person. I read today that the ride on the one in Darjeeling is 4 hours. That's quite a long train ride. Maybe when I'm there I'll end up doing it, but probably not. I did read however that it is supposed to be excellent. But they say that about everything!

Cheers!

97 DR350SE
Old 10-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
VeraU
Follow the Sun

Oddometer: 1
Laugh Hey

How do you like the bike? How does it compare with yours? Vera
VeraU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
JoeBiker25
n00b

Oddometer: 6
So Jealous!

subscibed and waiting impatiently for updates :-)
JoeBiker25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
mnritz
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Howz it going?

Hey Morgan! How are things? I hope you have time to visit some of the sights while you are there. The Taj Mahal, Humayan's Tomb, Red Fort, and several other places right in Delhi are cool. I could have lent you my SPOT or Katadyn too! You must not have good reception where you are cause I don't see any recent posts. Wish I was there with you! Should be a great ride. What bike are you riding. One of the millions of 200 cc bikes that roam the country?
mnritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
e rock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Looks like some serious elevation variation. Thanks heaven for fuel injection.
e rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars OP
Adventurer

Day 1: London

I flew out at 6:30pm US time and arrived in London at 7:30am. When buying the ticket I accidentally got one with a 15 hour layover in London. As I was leaving the plane I saw the girl behind me, Anna, was reading Influence by Cialdini and we started chatting. Somehow out of all the people in the world she was into value investing and knew about all the big value investors and various readings. Pretty rare. In our talking I asked her how difficult it is to get out to see London. She said its easy so I thought I'd give it a go. I had 15 hours to kill after all. I wasn't sure how big of an issue it'd be to get out of the airport without visa but I asked around and for a US citizen it's not a problem. Onward!

I stored all my bags in a commercial storage place called "Excess Baggage". 10 pounds for the day. The guy working cut me a deal and let me attach my helmet to my backpack so I didn't have to pay for two items. Sweet!

Unfortunately the next guy was not as nice or helpful. The information guy at the Underground was so grumpy and rude. He acted like everyone was bothering him unnecessarily. I grabbed the tube maps and left for the city.

I got off at Hyde Park and came across the blue bike rentals. 2 Pounds for the whole day! That is such a deal! Needless to say I rode around all day. I didn't have my camera but saw a couple different things. Big Ben, Buckingham Palace and the rest of the palace grounds, the Arch, the big ferris wheel and probably a bunch of other stuff. Big Ben was quite impressive. Over 150 years old. Very nice shade of stones and ornate design.

Next up I stopped at a nice little restaurant that happened to have free refills on all coffee drinks until 12 noon. I got there at probably 9 and had a breakfast and a couple of cappuccinos while sitting out on the patio watching London go to work. There are so many different people in London and it's great. Everyone is also in good shape and well dressed. At noonish I went and rode around some more and found another cafe. Funny enough I think Delhi Belly got to me early because I definitely had London Belly. Needless to say I was very glad both cafe's had good facilities. Eventually I made my way back to the airport and waited for my flight. I had trouble staying awake, despite all my cappuccinos, as I had been up for too long at that point. Finally I boarded and slept for about 6 hours. I've never been big on seeing London but this little day trip changed my mind some. At some point I'll visit properly.

Hopefully I'll be able to post the up coming posts with pictures. I don't have a laptop here so it may be tricky getting them from my camera to the net.

The bike I have here is a Honda Stunner 125cc. It's light, reliable, gets good milage but does not have enough power to climb the big mountains properly. More in this later!

97 DR350SE
Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnritz View Post
Hey Morgan! How are things? I hope you have time to visit some of the sights while you are there. The Taj Mahal, Humayan's Tomb, Red Fort, and several other places right in Delhi are cool. I could have lent you my SPOT or Katadyn too! You must not have good reception where you are cause I don't see any recent posts. Wish I was there with you! Should be a great ride. What bike are you riding. One of the millions of 200 cc bikes that roam the country?
Hi Mark! I totally should have grabbed your SPOT for this trip. Would have been smart for these crossing these mountains alone.

I'll be seeing quite a number of sights I think but right now I've been having such a good time in Leh up north I may not have time to see everything I originally planned. But we shall see!

I just got back on the internet a few days ago. There was nothing from Delhi to Leh, about ten days worth of travel.

It'd be so fun to have a crew of us going on trips like this!

97 DR350SE
Old 10-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
mnritz
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Solo Riding

Riding solo has it's merits for sure. But riding with another person or two can really add to the experience, or if the wrong people can severely take away from it. I have enjoyed both. Sounds like things are going pretty well for you.
mnritz is offline   Reply With Quote