Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #226
TLR_Mart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Good luck with the parts removal, GA! I'm sure that the recovery will go swimmingly, and that you're back on 2fitty so that you can be...

Gone Again

Heal fast!

Marty
TLR_Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #227
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,569
So....

got a phone call yesterday......

surgery is on Monday........

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #228
NotHome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Good luck and hope all goes well

2010 DR650 - Shiny Black one
NotHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #229
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,596
Good luck with the surgery mate. I hope it leads to a quick and easy recovery this time. Have you asked them if you get to keep the spares they remove? Straight to the pool room!
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #230
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
.... Have you asked them if you get to keep the spares they remove? Straight to the pool room!

yeah hit them up when they told me it was coming out.... they said 'nope'....o,h & s issues.......... but i'll try again monday...

pool room maybe... my own bit of Russian submarine.. but i think i prefer your original idea of making a new lightweight sidestand out of it

oh and thanks everyone for the good wishes....

GoneAgain screwed with this post 10-20-2011 at 10:58 PM
Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #231
Sundowner
Total Cahn

How'd ya go? Did they operate on the correct leg?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #232
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
How'd ya go? Did they operate on the correct leg?

so 2 weeks back, i headed over to Victoria... spent a night at mums place, then got her to give me a lift the 100km to the hospital from her place... because i was due for surgery at 7am on the monday morning, and lived so far away, the hospital offered to put me up in their 'medi-hotel'... just a bit of the hospital semi converted to hotel type rooms for people who have to travel a fair way (and their families..),, good idea...

so checked-in, ordered a wake-up-call, dumped my bag and x-rays in my room...

checked out the view of Ballarat from the 4th floor.....

ducked down to the dinning room, ummm i mean staff caffeteria for dinner..

then decided to head out and find a pub to watch Adelaide Uniteds first game of the new season...

mosseyed out the front door and saw this big fella....

no adv sticker, but a Ulysses badge and an Ironbutt sticker......

anyway, found a pub, ordered a soft-drink (no alchohol 24 hours before surgery ) and watched a fairly ordinary game of soccer...

so back to the 'hotel', checked the night view...

and hit the sack...

6:15am my wake-up call gets me out of bed, i catch sun-rise,

then toddle off to Admissions...

a short wait then off for a chat with the anethasist (who remembers me from nearly 16 months ago..)

then the surgeon pops thru (remembering me too ) and draws an arrow and writes something in 'doctor font' on my 'to be opperated on leg' and gets me to put a compression sock on the other leg....

then a chat with a nurse...she takes my temp and says i'm a bit cold....

then leads me off to get changed into one of their sexy pale blue hospital gowns... not quite sure how someone, by-them-selves is supossed to tie the straps at the back up...but after a couple of go's i gottem done....

then a tap on the door and nurse asking if i have a dressing gown.... (sorry, how old do i look ) no... so she says to put a second gown on backwards... then i toddle off back to the waiting room to sit with the other 'clothed' people in my glorious blue robes and thongs...

nurse came out with a nice 'hot' blanket for me to warm me up a bit

seems i'm first up... but not long and other funky-gibbons start joining me in the righteous robes...

nurse pops back out to the now full waiting room, and calls my name... i stand up.. she yells across the room to me....'do you need to go to the toilet?' giggles all round... "no", a bit more banter and she leads me off to theatre...

a couple more doctors and nurses come thru... then the surgeon who put the rod in pops in for a chat (remembered me too ) i lounge about on the trolley for another 5 mins or so, the surgeon comes back thru lookin even goofier than me with hairnet type things on his feet, blue pants n jacket and a dishcloth lookin red-riding-hood bonnet on his head...

anethasist comes in, fills me up with oxygen and then..... i dunno

a bit over 3 hours later, i'm awake again... cant feel much and dont make much sense.....

nurse pops in with a 'pee-bottle' and wants me to 'fill-er-up'.... after a few mins and a few return visits from the nurse, i get 'er goin.... proud of my acomplishent, i wack the bottle of 'apple juice' on the side table and wait for the nurse...

'is that all...?'

yeah, thats a fair bit...

'no, we need more than that.....'

well your not getting any just yet.....

then cop a story that because i've had so much morphine, they need me pee-ing.... and if thats all i can get out they will have to stick a hose up the old fella to drain me out

well thats all thats in there..... i plead...

nurse comes back with some odd lookin ultra-sound type machine and starts pokin around...then says...'no, theres another 400-500 mls in there....'

aw come on, i've just come-too.... at least give me a few minutes....and a big jug of water ...please

so i glug down a litre or so of water and push out enough apple-juice to ward them off...

having been fasting, i'm getting bloody hungry by this stage.. dinner finally arrives...

tasted better than it looks

ther night is spent on morphine watching 'Wolf Creek' on the telly

next day is a blur of surgeons, physios, nurses, phone calls, forms, pills and then i'm discharged...

back to mums for a few days of rest

then its home again

today was 10 days after surgery and a went to my local doctor to get the staples removed...

the bandages got unrolled, the cotton wool wrapped around got cut off (too much dry blood made it impossible to un-wrap ) and then the waterproof patches came off.... a bit of a tidy up and a poke about... all looking good but the doc wants to leave them in for another 4 days....

(ankle)

(below knee)

i pull out my phone while he's gone to get a nurse to re-bandage it all up and get these pics (i'll try get 'better' pics next week )

so now i'm 'home again' .. waitin till tuesday to get the 15 staples removed....

-

as much as the leg is sore, its that 'just had flesh and muscle cut open' kinda sore.... the leg itself actually feels better and, even though its not really moving at the moment, feels like it will move a lot better too...

so yeah, staples out next week, physio next week, crutches for another 2-3 weeks and then......

probably more physio...

and wait another 2-3 months for the bone to 'harden up' before i undertake any 'high risk activities'.....

all good!

Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #233
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,576

I can see you trolling the new bike ads already

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery

masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #234
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,618
I can't believe you can make a ripper report of of a trip to the hospital...

Good luck with the recovery & may we read more reports both on & off the bike.

I still have the pin in, but I'm getting too old to worry about removing it & the fact that mine healed quickly was a bonus.

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #235
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Have you had a dig through the bins out the back of the hospital to see if you can find a sidestand? See if you can score two, okay?
Heal quickly mate.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:23 AM   #236
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post

I still have the pin in, but I'm getting too old to worry about removing it & the fact that mine healed quickly was a bonus.

Cheers Terry

yeah, it seems more like mine was causing some issues...but i'm happy the Doc's wanted to (and did) pull-er-out....

Quote:
Have you had a dig through the bins out the back of the hospital to see if you can find a sidestand? See if you can score two, okay?
Heal quickly mate.

did think about it....but some dude in white knee high stockings and blue robes upside down stuck face-first in someones spleen wavin their legs and crutches in the air tryin to get out....well....i thought the better of it... damn shame i couldnt keep it but...

so, since i'm typin, may as well make a bit of a night of it...

legs heaps better without the screws... started 3 days a week physio again 2 weeks back...thats goin real well and i should be done after 3 months of that....

even noticed a few weeks back i dont have a limp any more (well not most of the time)... she still blows up and bruises a bit but thats to be expected.... physio wants to get me running next week

'spose a bit of bike content wouldnt go astray.... lets see if i got some pics floatin around...

oh yeah... this is a couple from the only 'real' ride i've had in the last 18 month... it was about 200km each way up to Keith n back to meet up with Sundowner (who decided he'd rather lounge about in the sand than show up )and a few other inmates (g'day Kev ) for the unveiling of the Andy Caldecott memorial (theres a thread with details, pics etc of the event...)

was an early mornin departure to get there in time

i'd planned out a dirt route for most of the way....so set up the GPS

lots of long straights out here...

and really small 'welcome to our shire' signs..

i remember passing a dead stag on the road.....bloody hell wouldnt want to hit one of those... anyway, was a nice ride... found a bit of almost soft stuff on the way home...

oh hey this is exciting...

this is the staples coming out..

well that pretty much gets us up-to-date i think....

oh this wacky box arrived last friday.....

oh and i figured id go over and see how Philmeup was doin after his "write-a-bike-off-and-put-your-head-thu-a-sunroof-while-your-at-it" episode a few months ago..

kinda sleepy now.... so i think i'll call it a night, and finish off in the mornin.....

GoneAgain screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 03:57 PM
Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #237
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

-sigh- nobody cares whats in the Leo Vince box.....

Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #238
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

so yeah, was up for a trip over to Melbourne... I wasnt gonna take 2-Fiddy all the way, but after checking out bus timetables etc, i was gonna take her about an hour to a friends place at Penola and get a bus from there...

so monday night i got online and booked 3 busses and a train...

tuesday morninin i was up at 6:30 and puttin on the ol boots for the first time since 'rod removal'

oh, when i said i booked 3 busses, i mean 2... i couldnt book the first one online as it was 'less than 24 hours before departure'

so i rode to Penola, parked my bike in a friends shed, and she gave me a lift to the bus stop on her way to work... i called the bus mob (about 15 mins before the bus was due and 'booked' a seat...the operator was gonna 'try call the driver to let him know to stop'... the ticketoffice then opened and the woman therir insisted on selling me a ticket (i just wanted to leg it around the corner for a pie for brakfast) anyway she sold me a ticket and called the bus mob to 'yeah thats the same 'gentleman you just spoke too'... so i paid her my money and legged it to the bakery with 4 or 5 mins before bus was due... 2 women in front of me... one lookin after her grandkids.... who, when asked what they wanted proceeded to do laps of the bakery.. off she went to chase them too... i'm lookin at my watch, lookin at the pies, trying to make eye contact with the sales girl, wondering if it would be wrong if i decked one of the kids (or the woman) with a motorcycle boot...... anyway, i grit my teeth as she dragged the kids back and started ordering 4 finger buns an 2....blah blah... and was pretty damn happy when another sales girl came out to serve........

burnt my mouth getting stuck into the pie as i powerwalked back towards the bus stop... the rook came off the pie and started filling the bag with gravy, the bus came down the street, i ate faster, walked faster, chucked my bag on the bus.... looked at the bus, looked at the third of the pie left, looked at the driver, and dumped the pie in the bin and got on the bus for the 90-odd min trip up thru the Connawarra to Bordertown.....

i was due to have 30 mins between busses at Bordertown, so after jumping off at the bordertown stop (a roadhouse on the edge of town) i decided breakfast could easily happen here, went inside the servo, a grabbed a bottle of water and a pre-made sandwich... on paying, i asked the dumb question... 'the bus to Horsham goers from here yeah?"... blank stares back...... 'huh?' she says to me....'the v-line bus to horsham..' "Oh,no, that goes from the bus terminal in town..'

so after wondering why the %@#$ this bus stopped here instead (god bless commercial arangements being more important than customer conveinience ) i stuffed the water and sanga in my backpack and started the 2km walk back down the highway to the 'proper' bus terminal... thanks very much Premier Stateline for not givin a toss about your customers.......

anyway, it was a lovely 30 degree day for a nice powerwalk down a highway in motorbike boots etc..

i found the bus terminal, and wiped the sweat from my brow, dumped my gear, bought an icey-pole (the attendant asked if i had a ticket for the bus...'no' i said, 'but i do have a booking reference number from the interweby last night'..."oh, that should be fine.....") and parked myself at the stop with 2 mins to spare....

about 6 mins after the scheduled due time, i was wondering if everything was indeed 'fine'.........

just started to 'wonder' what to do next, when a bus came round the corner.... i was on and.....gone.....um, again ..

think i'll cut a long day of busses short....swapped busses at dimboola to ballarat, had 20 mins for a beer and an over zealous bus driver in Ballarat, then another bus (the train i booked morphed into a packed bus) and finally, 12 hours after leaving home i arrived at mums place (mmmm roast lamb )

next morning arranged to meet Philmeup in Melbourne.. so it was back on the trains into the city, a quick (well a tad slower than quick as yesterdays sweaty power-walk in motorbike boots had started the blister process on my heels...boots seemed to have shrunk a tad from lack of use.... ) run around town to do a couple of erands and then met Phil at Southbank and had a good old chat and coffee session.. (it was a tad early for a beer )

it was another warm day which made the 'scenery' pretty good...

It hit noon so it was 'civilised' to have a beer now..

so after lunch, we, as any self-respecting duo of BMW write-off-ers would do, we moseyed around to BMW.....

after chating to the dealer for a while he finally took us out the back to show me this....

so ummmmmmmmmmmmm...

i gave him a cheque, got the keys, put on my helmet, said see-ya to Phil......... and was ..........

GoneAgain....

Old 12-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #239
Ian Robinson
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
One Hell of a story... started frm page 1 yesterday.. what a read AND what an ending.. Bit hard to get the "bikes" out of your blood, hey. ( can't believe Phil had "issues" as well )

So pleased to see you back in the saddle.. well done , well written, and Oh Well , where to next.

Keep that camera close by.......Tks again and take care.
Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #240
Sundowner
Total Cahn

(sounds great as well).