User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #526
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 557
SPOT-ed will be watching ya

You are making it so much easier for us (....and likely the NSA) to keep track of you - Thanks!

OceanMtnSea screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 09:27 PM
OceanMtnSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #527
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,568
Gotta love BMW roadside assist...!
GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #528
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneAgain View Post
Gotta love BMW roadside assist...!

Based on your SPOT location the only road side assistance available is in your tool bag
Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 AM   #529
BSTARD
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 277
Old 09-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #530
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneAgain View Post
just had me 40k service... valve clearances are still fine (never needed adjusting so far..)

engine seems fine..

no other issues at all... all good

what about the flux capacitor, or the depleted uranium source..
I'd say theres ya problem right there, tempting fate like that!
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #531
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

.................I'd say he is off course a little.

This should be interesting

Being in Mad Max kind-of-country ......with a little ingenuity he could have pieced together something that would work with a few spare parts......while the Beemer was being fixed?

OceanMtnSea screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 08:57 PM
OceanMtnSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #532
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Haha... Dig that spot map post...

And that mad max thingy is pretty cool too.. and we did go there..

Shoulda brought a paper plate and a coat hanger with me.. then I coulda converted to nuclear power..... y

Big update tomorrow... Just about finished it...

Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #533
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Good to see that your NOT "In the hospital, Again"........and your not starving out in the desert either!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #534
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

theres a good cafe next door (named 'Grumpy,s')..... ducked in for coffee while waiting for photos to upload... honest...

Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #535
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

so bike was fueled and packed, and suspension set late sunday arvo.. Monday morning came around, i was up before the alarm, showered, geared up and off....

would have only been on the road about 5kms, when i hit the fog...

slowed things down a bit... visor kept on collecting moisture, wiping only worked a few times till gloves were wet... then it would just smear everywhere.. nevermind, made it to Penola bakery and ordered a coffee and a pie before the other lads arrived... met a few new
friends, partook in some more bakery produce and then it was time for Slowpoak (the instigator of this almighty quest), Xrman, GagsD2 and Uppy53 to trundle off into the fog and damp dirt roads heading north from Penola...

Slow had worked out a route, and emailed it around a few weeks earlier, so everyone with a GPS had the plan too.. he'd done a great job of finding some great back roads..

unfortunately, his gps was playing up a bit, so i took over the lead... we got to a real narrow, muddy track and i pulled up... Slow rolled up alongside... the other boys waited back a bit.. we looked at the track, at each other, pondered, looked at my gps... saw it was only 1.5kms long... and were in..

We had about 150km to cover before hiting Bordertown where we would be joined (at the bakery) by BigRedRoosta we were using the 'flytrace' website to display all 4 spot trackers on one page (bloody handy website..!) So we could see that the BigRedRoosta was about 10 mins away.. He arrived, some more bakery produce was consumed, bikes fuelled, and then the 6 of us were off...

heading north, there was a fair bit of slab before regrouping as we hit the dirt about 100km south of Renmark...

again, some cracking dirt roads...

Then into Renmark for more fuel and some take away beers etc,

before heading out the Old Wentworth rd... we timed our run superbly... just after 5pm, and so had an endless stream of construction vehicles coming the other way
blowin up rocks n dust to contend with.. the Roosta was keen to camp in Chowilla and have a look around...
we waited here for a regroup..

The Roosta then tried to impress us with his counting skills.... unfortunately he got stuck at 4, so to discuise the fact he didnt know what number came next, he dropped his bike as a distraction... i woulda given him a hand to pick it up, but he dropped it on mine, so i couldnt get off to help... his bike upright again, and someone else counted all the riders and we trundled into Chowilla.. there were plenty of 'no fires' signs and lots of vehicles running around.. so we decided to push on another 20-odd kms to the road north to Dangalli Conservation Park and bush camp out there.. plenty of roos on the rd now..

when we regorouped and saw it was 30kms of sand in the dark with roos etc, we decided on just a km or 2 and make camp.. tents were set, a fire was started, some beer was drunk, some lies told and some food ate..

then it was time for bed and the endless ADV chorus of chainsaws and hammerdrills...

. next morning...

we were off northeast over some more great tracks

after a couple of hundred kms, and prob about 40km short of broken hill, my bike cut out, only to restart again a few seconds later.. this happened a few times, before i stopped to tip my jerry of fuel in (even though i knew i wasnt out of fuel) and to be mocked by the Suzi brigade that was following behind.. we popped out at Broken Hill, for more fuel, and for Gags to get directions to a Leather n Wips shop...

Seemed the Big Red Roota had a bit more luck in there thou, hitting it off quite well with some of the older ladies.... Slowpoak bought a chair....

we then gunned it 20-odd kms to Silverton and lunch and a couple of beers in the pub..

after lunch it was north again up the dirt tracks between the SA/NT border and the Silver City Highway...

really nice tracks again...

and some pretty nice scenery..
plenty of gates to open n close, but our system seemed to be working well..

the gates also meant that every now n then we bumped into a local farmer for a chat.. the day wound on, and my bike started to play up again, cutting out, restarting, cutting out........................ gave it a 15 min break and she was ok again... for about 20kms.. we started looking for a camp, checking out a few creek-beds along the way, and chatting at gates to station owners (and getting permission to camp) we pushed on a bit and stopped at an intersection to work out which creek to camp in... the station owners all rocked up over a period of a few mins, and half an hour of chatting later, we were on our way to some shearers quarters for a hot shower and a soft bed each for the night..

next morning we were up early again...

Big Red.... and...

the station hound (or one of them anyway...)

the boys in blue on the bat phones....

XR being...... nice.... to his bike...

We all pitched in some dollars for our hosts and headed off north again.. more high speed tracks..

bike was going well again.... until about 30km out of Milparinka where the spluttering started again...

we stopped at Milparinka for a look around..

the pub is shut and there is no fuel...

after a bit of a break we gunned it north to Tibooburra.. no bike problems... until about 3 kms out....

straight to the pub...

we'd just missed lunch, but they still cooked us up 4 big bowls of chips n gravy... we pondered whether we'd make Camerons Corner tonight.. BigRed had been through a few years earlier and reconed the last 50km would slow the group down a bit.. we decided to have a crack anyway... we could always bush-camp if we didnt get there in daylight.. so another refuel and we were off west... 140kms to the corner.. bloody good road.. we were making great time... then about 40kms out, my bike started conking out again....

Xrman pulled up behind me, i told him it had started playing up again, and i'd open the fuel cap while i had a pee and hopefully that would make it happy for the last 40kms.. i was watering a tree when i hear XR yell out... 'when your done over there, can you give me a hand over here...?' i turn around to see this....

after taking the pic, we stand his bike up n head off.. a couple of km down the track the bike is cutting out again.. i stop and tell the other lads to continue on... i'll give her 15 mins to cool down a bit (though the temperature guage it sitting halfway, where it always sits..) and then i'll trundle in... we agree a timeframe for them to send someone out if i'm not in at the corner by, and off they go.. 15 mins later im GoneAgain.. all good.. well for about 20kms.. i pull off the road and give her some more time..

then head off into the setting sun i take my scratched goggles off to see better riding into the sun, only to be greeted by 6 4wd's filling me with dust coming the other way.. anyway, in the end i make it to the gate at the corner, think'how rude, no-one here to open the gate'

do it myself and ride into applause at he camp... so setup camp to more low-brow wit about BMW's from the DR brigade..

then its beers and a bloody good (and surprisingly fair priced) feed at the pub...

we contemplate turning the beemer upside down and giving her a shake to see what (if anything) comes out the tank..

the next morning, after a fairly jovial night in the pub, i scrap the 'give her a shake' idea and instead decide that i'll still head for Innaminka.. since its only about 240km i should get most of the way there before she starts playing up..

conpemplate getting some spare parts..

so a pub breakfast, some more fuel. and photo session at the corner of 3 states, and a dust storm,

we were off in the wind heading west again towards Merty Merty..

Merty Merty come up before we knew it, and bike was behaving..
the other lads were heading south to Arkaroola and the Flinders Ranges from here.. we took a break, posed for photos from some grey nomads in 4wds and i said goodbye to some great blokes i'd only just met....

and off north via the Old Strezleki Track i headed..

it was in pretty good condition.. it blew me away how many oil dericks were out here...

the track started to break up a little, and the sand was whiter and finer than we'd had the last few days, but in all a great track..

i got to the main 'Moomba to Nappa Merrie' rd and decided to head east on this 20km or so, then up the Strezlecki to Innaminka.. about 5km short of the Strez, bike starts cutting out again..

i stop at the corner for a break...

and then see there is an info booth about 500m up the track and decide i'll go there for a break... thru the roadworks and into the shade for about 15 mins...

then off, bike running ok again.. this road is really bloody rocky...

bike is running well again, but i decide i'll get in the bat-phone at Innaminka to BMW Roadside Assistance for a chat... riding along i figure, given that it takes around 200km each day for the problem to apear, i should capture some video of the problem.. i'm getting close to Innaminka with no problems... that figures, when i want you to play up you wont... 2km out she starts playing up again... camera on video mode and then splutter in to Innaminka..

first thing first...

then i contemplate the phone box (given there is no mobile reception here..)

the phone number i need is under the seat, so i figure i'll check the phonebook first.. i ask the publican if he has one...nope... but i can look somethin up for you out the back' he says, handing me a pen n paper to write down what i'm looking for.. 'BMW roadside assistance' i say.. 'oh dear' he says disapearing out the back.. so he gives me the number and i toddle of to the phonebox.... so i get thru to a girl and have a good old chat, she even seems to know what a fuel pump is... she tells me she can organise a tow to the nearest dealer... I think, cool, thats Brisbane... that works, not toooooo far out of my way... then she tells me Adelaide is closer...! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..! i explane how thats not so good for me, there is chat that i can pay a bit to cover the extra distance to brisbane, i ask if she can get a tow price to brisbane anyway, as the 'direct' route she had to adelaide was down the stezleki.. which i figured a towing company may not want to take, and by time they detoured, brisbane may be closer.. we chatted a bit more, and i left her with the pubs phone number to call me back.. back to the pub for another beer, and to let them know there would be a call from BMW within an hour looking for me.. 45 mins later, i get the call.. yep, we'll tow you the 1500 and a bit kms to brisbane... we have a guy coming 730kms form Cunnamulla tomorrow to take you back there.. we've booked a room for you there at the Innaminka hotel for tonight and tomorrow night.. the tow driver will stay there tomorrow night as well and you'll go from there to Cunnamulla on saturday. We'll put you up in Cunnamulla on saturday night, then another company from brisbane will tow you the 850kms into brisbane on sunday, the tow-truck driver will drop you at a hotel we'll book for you on sunday night in brisbane then drop your bike at the dealer first think monday morning... uummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... ok, that sounds acceptable...!

give me another beer.. i say to the bar-man struggling to get my head around it all..

so i check into my BMW supplied Motel Room have my first shower in a few days...

and go drink beer..

these boys rock up,

and we have a bit of a chat... when i tell em i'm havin fuel issues, they say 'ah, youre on the Beemer..!.... we has a chat to your mate on DR's a few hendred kms down the Strezleki... gee they were giving ya bike a bit of stick...! oh were you boys..!?

turns up they both chose the same bore to have lunch at..

so the rest of the arvo was pretty much spent at the pub drinkin beer, updating a multitude of people on my progress... and havin tea..

next day, i decided i probably shouldnt spend the whole day at the pub... there were a few local sights to see, so i figured, i could have a bit of a spin around to a few of em...

the causeway over the Cooper Creek..

the creek..

the cemetery..

the airfield.......

then decided to go the 25-ish km out to Will's grave,

poping in at the waterholes along the way...

lots of bulldust holes out here.. anyway, i get almost to the turnoff when a water truck comes past watering the road.... oh great, now the dust n sand is slipperly clay....

Will's grave (kinda)

i get within about 5km of Innaminka and bike starts playing up again.. that means i've only managed 60km today before she's gotten grumpy... calling in was the right thing to do...

i make it back to the pub...

about 4.30 the publican comes and gets me to tell me the tow truck driver is here.. the 'tow-truck' turns into an old XF ute....

we push the old girl on the back, tie her down and hit the pub..

a few beers later, the tow truck driver asks if i'm having tea.. yeah..., and we go to look at a menu n and order.. he order and so do i, the waitress says how much each it is and we both pull out wallets.. 'i've got it' he says... 'nah mate, i'll get mine...' i say... after a bit of back n forth he insists on buying my tea... not the chaepest pub you'll ever go to either...

a few more beers and just as he's starting to loosen up a bit he's off to bed..

i have a few more with the ktm lads and call it a night..

next morning we are up before breakfast...

we are ready to go and kitchen doesnt open for another half hour.. bugger it lets just get going and get breakfast at the next place... seems like a good idea... until you work out the 'next' place is nearly 400km away... so we survive, tip a jerry can in along the way,

cross the border into Queensland..

get some tucker at Hungerford and make Cunnamulla about 4pm..

we find me a flash room...

unload the bike and i give the 'next' driver a call to let him know where i am.. cool, thats the same place i'm stayin.........

about half hour latee he calls to let me know he's there... i've gone to a different pub by now, so i toddle back, to meet him..

whata ya drinkin he says pullin out a $10 and wavin over the barmaid so, umm, bike gets loaded...

and in the process, i discover that 'somewhere' one of the pannier frame mounts has vibrated loose...and off... the bit attaching to the pillion peg has gone.... also 'that' bolt that holds the pannier frame onto the subframe via tha exhaust mount is out... still there but out.. a bit of stuffin around, seems the pannier frame has bent a little and i cant quite get the bolt back in... so the left pannier just gets tied to the tray and i'll sort it 'later'....

another night, another tea, with another tow truck driver... morning comes by and we're off... approx 850kms to cover today...

breakfast today was only 200kms away at St George..

then in via Toowoomba where we stopped for coffee and to call BMW to see where i'd be staying tonight..

then into brisbane

and to my 'serviced apartment'....

next morning i get up, and give the Jesse panniers distributer a call.. 'yeah we should be able to sort something out...'

he's only 50km up the highway, and when i get to the dealer i'll sent him a pic of what i'm missing.. i walk the 1.5km to the dealer... i get there a bit after 9am, and am a little surprised to see the bike still out the front and loaded up...

anyway i have a chat to the service manager... he doesnt want any video footage.. 'nah, we'll just plug her into the computer...thatll let us know whats goin on..'

doesnt know if he'll be able to get to it today though.... pretty heavily booked all week..

i ask the part guy if he can check if there are any fuel pumps in australia.. 'yep, 6 in sydney... if we order it before 1.30 it'll be here tomorrow..'

so off i go... wondering what today will bring... spend the morning walkin around lookin at 'stuff'

i send the pics of my missing pannier mount off,

then give him (Lachyv7) a call to follow up...

yep all good, just let us know when your comin up and i'll make sure i'm around... got a spare room here if ya w need to crash the night too.....'

then type most of this up in a pub.. 1.30 goes by with no news.... so i figure a fuel pump hasnt been ordered 'today'..

so just had a call from the dealer.. the fuel pump showed no faults on the computer..

but he says... the bottom of the tank, fuel filter and lines and air filter(!) were absolutely chockers with dirt n sludge...

i quiz him about the air filter, given that was replaced less than 2 weeks ago, and was in mint condition the night before i called it in....

i also asked why it was ok for the first 200km each day... dunno mate, but your lines were full of gunk...

didnt really have an answer for me when i asked where that would go each night so she would be ok next day.... so he sounds sure the bike will be ready sometime tomorrow...

we'll soon see i guess if that was the problem........

was a bit hungry for tea...

so now its tuesday morning.... and i'm just fluffin about waiting or the dealer to call and say the bike is ready... depending on what time that is i'll leave brisbane either this arvo or in the morning.. and i should know within a day or 2 if the problem is fixed... (but i've put BMW roadside assists number in my phone and checked where the dealers are further up the coast just in case)

GoneAgain screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 06:41 PM
Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #536
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

so got a phonecall tuesday arvo that the bike was ready..

went in...

dealer showed me a pile of gravel that came out of the tank..

recond there was sludge in the bottom, and all the lines, filter etc were clogged up...

they cleaned them all out, along with the injectors, throttle bodys etc..

she is running nice

bastards washed her!

so i got all me gear back from the hotel, wired up the pannier rack..

and was just about to put me helmet on when i get a phone call from an old mate who discovered i was in town...

come round..!

that was last night... best nights sleep on a couch ever...

been out for coffee (busted by OceanMTnSea)

bought and pitted a new muffler mount bolt

tried and failed to get a small can of chain oil...

thats enough... time for a ride....!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #537
bigredroosta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Gravel in the tank eh?

So we shoulda done the Tiperova and shake shake shake at Cameron corner?

I wanted to, the photos would've been PRICELE$$ !

Ah well, you got a free ride to Brisbane instead

Very handy bit of a ride report too GA by the way, safe trails mate.
bigredroosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #538
enookway
Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer: 265
Excellent RR and cracker of a trip.

Never underestimate BRR's mechanical abilities:

Quote:
'when your done over there, can you give me a hand over here...?' i turn around to see this....

Sounds familiar
enookway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #539
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,363
Talking A ripper report!!

Good one GA, I had a few good chuckles and wish I was still out there. Will be watching the rest of your travels and checking for report updates.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #540
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,834
bloody hell just stopped me painting the house for two days
this has been a fantastic read ... and i see your at Noosa so just missed you.
Keep it up and im following now

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote