User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #2266
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,795
Here's another alternative for GoPro mounts:

This camera adaptor takes the standard GoPro screw knob and acorn nut but be careful about those nuts - they're looser than they are in the GoPro part, so you'll likely lose a few unless you glue them in.

The arm costs $3.77 and is plastic, but looks to be strong enough for something like the GoPro.

This is what I bought:

RAM Mount Plastic GoPro Camera Adapter 1 inch B-Ball RAP-B-202U-GOP1 $6.95ea
RAM Mount Plastic Lite Arm B-Socket RAP-B-201-1U $3.77ea

Click the part images above to go to the GPSCity site, for more detail or to order.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #2267
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
Helmet

I put mine on the left side of the chinbar. Easy to control with your non throttle hand. you can dip down to see it in the mirror to check it is running. you also don't look like a Teletubbie.

QUOTE=FredRydr;21078103]This thread is long, and a search of it for "helmet" hasn't led me to an answer. is there an advantage to mounting my new camera on the side versus the top of my helmet? I've seen both. I ride dual sport, and figure mounting it on the bike would be a vibration nightmare.

Fred[/QUOTE]
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #2268
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
GoPro mount on street helmet

Fred,

Here are some images of the hardware I used and one of the camera mounted on my street helmet.

The adhesive pad was the one with a slight curve that matched the curve of the helmet.

Not as elegant as others but it it will give you an idea. I'll probably do basically the same thing on my dirt helmet.

Jon...
Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #2269
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Have to agree, chin bar is the way to go, being close to eye level it gives the best view... I'm not a fan of the high, on top of the helmet view...

Being Down-under and riding on the left hand side of the road, I run the cam on the right so it doesn't clip as many trees...

This is what I use...

(back a fair way so I can only just see it out of the corner of my eye)

It gives this sort of view:

:)

FLICKIT screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 06:59 PM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 AM   #2270
snorske
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
i prefer the right side because I can start and stop the camera without having to put the bike in neutral (ie taking hand off clutch)

i love the GoPro Hero3 black - just need to order a ram mount as the stock handlebar mounts are too shaky
snorske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #2271
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I've been running mine on the front of my helmet, but I think I may go back to the side mount as you can't really see the bike in the videos unless you tip the camera down some (which I always seem to forget to do)

09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #2272
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
I've been running mine on the front of my helmet, but I think I may go back to the side mount as you can't really see the bike in the videos unless you tip the camera down some (which I always seem to forget to do)

Any chance of a closer pic and description of what you used to get the above mount put together? Is that flat mount? How is it attached to the helmet, etc.?

In that position can you rotate the camera down low enough to get the bars in the pic and you just keep forgetting or does the angle not allow the bars to be in the pic?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #2273
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

This particular helmet has a nice flat spot above the chin vent that was just asking to have a flat sticky mount stuck to it.

I think part of the issue may be the camera is located further forward in relation to the bike which is why it gets cut off. Also every now and then I would bang it off of the bars and get a nice view of the sky.

On my old yamaha, it wasn't too noticeable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmAXsUYgO-4

But on my husky, most video looks like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uabv4FH9eO8
Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #2274
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
This particular helmet has a nice flat spot above the chin vent that was just asking to have a flat sticky mount stuck to it.

I think part of the issue may be the camera is located further forward in relation to the bike which is why it gets cut off. Also every now and then I would bang it off of the bars and get a nice view of the sky.

On my old yamaha, it wasn't too noticeable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmAXsUYgO-4

But on my husky, most video looks like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uabv4FH9eO8

Thank you. I'll be using some epoxy to create a flat spot on my helmets then. I've had some decent luck with the chest mount as an option that captures as much of the bars as you care to want.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #2275
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Thank you. I'll be using some epoxy to create a flat spot on my helmets then. I've had some decent luck with the chest mount as an option that captures as much of the bars as you care to want.
I have a chesty mount also. The only thing I don't like about it is you can't look around with the camera unless you turn your body to do so. I've missed some entertaining moments because of that, such as my buddy sitting beside me and deciding to fall over for no reason at all.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #2276
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
I have a chesty mount also. The only thing I don't like about it is you can't look around with the camera unless you turn your body to do so. I've missed some entertaining moments because of that, such as my buddy sitting beside me and deciding to fall over for no reason at all.
Yep, that's the reason I'm looking for a helmet mount. To catch your buddies muck ups.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #2277
Raiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Yep, that's the reason I'm looking for a helmet mount. To catch your buddies muck ups.
Doesn't it come with a sticky mount thing for your helmet?
Raiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #2278
Wahoo
Persevering

Oddometer: 77
Hero Camera

Not sure if I'm in the right spot and if not I'm sure someone will let me know about it.
I have an older Hero Camera which I've used very little mainly because I have not been able to tell if it was on or not without getting in front of it to see if the light was on. So, last fall I bought the back pac with the remote and just now tried to set it up to start using it. Now I find out, after talking to Hero Customer Support, that I need to down load "Conform Studios" tool bar to update the camera and WiFi backpack before I can use it. Since I have Windows Internet Explorer I cannot download the updates. I need a different system.
I most certainly explained my frustrataions with a Customer Service Rep. using various and sundry explentives.
Am I the only one on this thread suffering because of this? I think my best alternative is to trash this Hero crap, go ride and forget about it.
Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #2279
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
So, last fall I bought the back pac with the remote and just now tried to set it up to start using it. Now I find out, after talking to Hero Customer Support, that I need to down load "Conform Studios" tool bar to update the camera and WiFi backpack before I can use it. Since I have Windows Internet Explorer I cannot download the updates. I need a different system.
I most certainly explained my frustrataions with a Customer Service Rep. using various and sundry explentives.
That's what I've done.
Internet Explorer downloads Cineform Studio no problem. No toolbar involved. Then the remote and back pac get updated by the Cineform program.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #2280
Wahoo
Persevering

Oddometer: 77
Hero Camera

I originally tried the updates using my Internet Explorer and it didn't work. When talking to the Service Rep. he said the Internet Explorer wouldn't work. Go Figure.
Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote