Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #46
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
I'm not so sure a steadicam is the answer, even if you could fabricate one. A steadicam is designed to eliminate the ups and downs caused by walking with your camera. The vibrations from the bike are high frequency vibes, the ones you feel in your grip. Just about anything that is secured to the bike is going to have the bike's vibrations transferred.
Youre absolutely right, and I agree it may not work, but my line of thinking was that the added weight would help, like bar end weights do. Nothing big, just a couple hundred grams and a couple inches high. Of course it would still have to be rubber mounted. The brake fluid resevoir is supposedly designed to reduce the vibes getting to it and it appears to work in the same way.
I have my hero stuck to the plastic rad shroud, and get very little there, so i think it depends a lot on the particular bike.

My handheld HD video cam, which has an optical image stabilizer, doesnt like vibrations either, I think it actually makes it worse in some cases, but i havent tried it on the bike.

The little orange rubber piece is a lock. After you snap the camera to a base, it squishes in the clip to prevent it from opening. the ring stretches over the thumbscrew so you do lose it.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #47
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Ya, the high(er) frequency vibrations are the tough ones to mitigate. You need a spring and a dampener. Might be able to do it with an elastomer but the mass of the camera is so low that the strength (and elastic modulus) of the material would also have to be quite low in order to allow the camera to move relative to the mount... Adding mass to the camera (as in the samera steady devices above) would help though.

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #48
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashnak
I have the non-hd version. The HD version definately has some upgrades, especially in the battery.

But regardless of version- this is a fun camera. I have several mounts on my bike, and also on top of the helmet. I interlace the GoPro footage with still shots and video from the other two cameras.
Nicely done, Rashnak. What software are you using?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #49
Rashnak
Lorem Ipsum

Oddometer: 9,713
Quote:
Nicely done, Rashnak. What software are you using?
Corel Videostudio Pro
Rashnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #50
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Westley J , thanks for putting up my pic. , maybe I'll figure out how to do it myself . I love computers and the "fun" involved !
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #51
Wesley J OP
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
No worries.

I find the easiest way to get a photo's true location is to right click on it, click on properties, then cut and paste the address. Works every time.

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #52
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 534
Just received my GoPro Hero HD, stuck a flat base mount on my RAM mount plate and took a video of my ride to work. Incredible video quality even for a early ride into the rising sun. I ride a KTM 640 Adventure which people keep telling me is a paint shaker, and the only vibration effect is noticeable while stopped. Its not a bad thing, it is, after all, a motorcycle video. Can't wait to record my next adventure. This camera is the coolest thing.

Now to learn video editing and posting video.
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #53
Crabenho
NOOBish

Oddometer: 607
Reaching warp speed? Cool.

Quote:
Yo. GrampZ. Every get pics like this? Late afternoon so light was not the best but the CMOS rolling shutter of my GoPro non HD, non wide 5mp gave me these when I had it in 'pic every 2 secs' mode. I'm posting this one as it has the greatest number of vertical and straight lines, showing the effects of the CMOS rolling shutter. Check that contrail in the sky ! and the telephone poles

Crabenho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #54
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Based upon Wesley's and Richard's and other's posts here, and to try to get ahead of:

on at least one area of expertise ( Rick), I went on Amazon this afternoon and ordered this camera.

I'll be all on this thread, as I want to get to video editing with it as soon as possible and do short 3-5 minutes max videos for ride reports.

My own experience with other's videos is that a cool video greatly adds to the story - up to a point. I usually like the videos set to music - and the length of one tune is about right for my taste - YMMV.

Amazon had a lot of accessories for sale, so there's a lot to learn about this process. That's the way I'm taking it - it's not so much a camera, it's a process.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #55
LarryB
Baja GPS Maps, LBMaps.com

Oddometer: 73
http://www.gpscity.com/gopro-hero-tr...t-adapter.html

Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #56
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

GPS City also lists the LCD "Backpac" for pre-order, ETA, March. This is supposed to be the item that plugs into the back of the Hero HD providing an view of what you are shooting or, presumably, what you just shot. Immensely necessary, IMHO, especially since the little screen and even smaller icons are almost impossible to see and figure out. YMMV.

I'm waiting until these actually ship before biting again with the GoPro.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #57
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
GPS City also lists the LCD "Backpac" for pre-order, ETA, March. This is supposed to be the item that plugs into the back of the Hero HD providing an view of what you are shooting or, presumably, what you just shot. Immensely necessary, IMHO, especially since the little screen and even smaller icons are almost impossible to see and figure out.
I'm not sure how that will work since the camera won't fit into the case/holder with anything attached to the back. In most cases, you really don't need a viewfinder because of the wide-angle lens. I was skeptical of that until I tried it.

As for the small icons, you don't need to see them either unless you are changing modes. If you stay in the same mode all the time, you only need one button to turn the camera on/off and the other button to start/stop recording.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #58
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU
I'm not sure how that will work since the camera won't fit into the case/holder with anything attached to the back. In most cases, you really don't need a viewfinder because of the wide-angle lens. I was skeptical of that until I tried it.

As for the small icons, you don't need to see them either unless you are changing modes. If you stay in the same mode all the time, you only need one button to turn the camera on/off and the other button to start/stop recording.
I'm not sure how it will work either. From the looks of things, it would be used when you are off bike and you open your case and plug it in and review your just taken videos. Otherwise, I agree, it may be of dubious value.

Yes, wide angle is fine for framing your shots as long as you know the camera is filming. The teeny weensy light and the icons just are too damned small to tell you anything at all. They might as well not be there in my view. I'd just like to see something that you could actually SEE that gives you some idea of battery life and whether you are filming. The ContourHD has these things, e.g. a 3 way light for battery power (full, low, gone) and a light that you can SEE that tells you, you are filming. Anyway, just adding my thoughts. A lot of folks seem to be interested in videoing rides (like me) and like to have as much info as possible before spending their cash. My main idea was for video documentation of the longer trips I take so my particular needs might be a lot different from a dirt rider who is more interested in capturing a couple of hours, then heading home to transfer video.

What I am really looking for, for my purposes, is a small digital video recorder that I can plug my Sony bullet camera into, and record the ride. That way I can put the bullet camera on my helmet or mounted on the bike and put a small DVR or Handycam in the tankbag. I have a Sony Handycam that uses MiniDV tapes but would like to find one with SD card capability that has an "AV in" port. Anybody got ideas for one of those?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #59
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
munchmeister , no , I've never had anything like that ! , cool effect though . How was the camera mounted ? Looks like you must have had quite a high frequency vibe to get that much distortion , unless "shutter speed" was slow for some reason . Even around freezing temps with low batteries , haven't had anything like that . An old biking buddy who rides a "wing" saw my mount picture and wants one similar to the one i made . Now the fun begins , engineering a "universal" mount kit with adjustable arms / dampening . Also make a safer mount , mine is solid steel , bolted down . Also , mine is mounted straight forward , think i'll add a detent swivel . Maybe a detent every 25 degrees or so , be better for shooting off to the side and behind , should you wish . Now to get the "spare " time to get it done ! I must say , the best bang for the buck I have gotten in a long time .
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #60
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 191
Here is a short and simple sequence I put together of the last few days of riding. There is a little quality loss but you can download the original from vimeo if you wish.

Baja Mexico from j b on Vimeo.

greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote