Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
Riding new bike home?

Okay, this is my first post!

I'm looking to pick up a new bike somewhere out in America next spring, and have a few questions about licensing the thing, and getting it through Canada on the way home. Has anybody got any experience with this?
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 03:36 AM   #2
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJEff
Okay, this is my first post!

I'm looking to pick up a new bike somewhere out in America next spring, and have a few questions about licensing the thing, and getting it through Canada on the way home. Has anybody got any experience with this?
Well to start with where is home
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:32 AM   #3
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Why the Great White North of course!

Fairbanks, Alaska actually.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:34 PM   #4
Cephus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I bought a Silverado in Tennessee and used it to pull a trailer to Anchorage with a drive out tag. The Canadians were only concerned with my personal papers and citizenship the truck was never questioned. Although I had my Bill of Sale and proof of insurance, just in case they were to ask. I think it is a non-issue. Just have your personal papers in order along with papers on the new ride along with the Canadian Provincial Insurance Card and it should be no problem.
Cephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,729
Purchasing a new or used bike in the U.S. is now not a problem with the final clause of the free trade agreement going through, IF, and a big IF, the bike you are getting is on the Transport Canada list of bikes allowed in.
First off, anything is allowed from any country if it is 15 yrs old or older. Anything new or 1-14 yrs old can come in but again will have to be on the list. For example, none of the new generation MV Agustas are allowed in, or Bennellis. Basically any bike that has not been dot'ed here. BMW, Honda, KTM etc, are allowed in. You have to get in touch with Canadian Border Services [Customs & Immigration] to tell them your plans, go get the bike, it must have insurance and registration in your name from the U.S., and proceed to the border, where it will stay in their holding warehouse while the paperwork goes through. Then you will have to get it safety inspected, [Canadian Tire,$150cdn] where it will be given a new vin #, a sticker attached to the headstock.
So first off go to the Transport Canada web site to see if the bike you want is on the ok list.
Ciao, Steve G.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:59 PM   #6
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Question For Sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJEff
Why the Great White North of course!

Fairbanks, Alaska actually.
Have you not been able to find a nice scoot here in the frozen North?

I have a very nice bike for sale in the valley.

I am buying a, new to me, in a couple of days.

replacing this bike was a tough choice for me. It is sweet.

Have a look.
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:41 PM   #7
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Thanks all for the advice! It sounds like I need to do a bit of research, but it should be easily done. My biggest concern was how to register and insure the bike, adn travel under a temporary tag, then license it when I arrive home.

Gus, what are you selling, and what are you buying? I am looking to buy a new '04 Honda ST1300. I could get an '05 through one of the dealers in Alaska, but they went to a horrid red color, whereas the '04 is my favorite color which is blue. So, the plan is to pick up a holdover from a dealer somewhere in America and ride it home
Old 11-02-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Thanks all for the advice! It sounds like I need to do a bit of research, but it should be easily done. My biggest concern was how to register and insure the bike, adn travel under a temporary tag, then license it when I arrive home.

Gus, what are you selling, and what are you buying? I am looking to buy a new '04 Honda ST1300. I could get an '05 through one of the dealers in Alaska, but they went to a horrid red color, whereas the '04 is my favorite color which is blue. So, the plan is to pick up a holdover from a dealer somewhere in America and ride it home
Old 11-03-2004, 07:28 AM   #9
Gusgus
Banned

Thumb your out of my league.

Quote:
I am selling an '87 BMW K100LT. Not a new bike for sure but also not classed with your eye. A very nice bike though, low mileage, priced lower and less modern than it would seem you aim is. I bought it intending to keep it forever, you know. I upgraded it far beyond it's value which isn't reflected in the price. Repainted it, added late model bags, plus a multitude of other extras and then fell in love with an '02 GS Adventure. The K bike is a very sweet bike, I just wanted to ride the dirt roads more than the K bike was designed for. I couldn't see any reason to subject such a nice bike to those roads, when a GS would fit my needs perfectly. Sooooo,,,,
I brought my new (to me) GS home last night in the wind. I can now spend the winter adding the stuff I need to tour with, like a heated seat maybe.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:54 AM   #10
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
Might you be one of the three fellows on rented Kawasakis I ran into on the Denali Highway last summer. Seems one of them had a K bike and was thinking about an Adventure. Let me know how much you want for your bike. I have a friend who may be interested. Bear
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:21 PM   #11
Gusgus
Banned

Eek Nice memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Bear
Might you be one of the three fellows on rented Kawasakis I ran into on the Denali Highway last summer. Seems one of them had a K bike and was thinking about an Adventure. Let me know how much you want for your bike. I have a friend who may be interested. Bear
I am impressed. I wish I could say the same. What were you riding? A Stock Yellow GS or piped black GS?
Yes I am going to sell my K bike. The price is $4000.00
I can run down the list of upgrades and unique additions, if you are interested.
I tried to insert a picture, yet it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

I'm not sure of the rules about contact info being put on this forum, but I will do some research and post it as soon as I can find out how and if it is OK.

Gusgus screwed with this post 11-15-2004 at 10:29 PM
Old 11-16-2004, 12:46 AM   #12
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Actually both GSs are mine. I was on the Manderine bike and my friend Ed was on my black one. The yellow one is now in the states now where it will stay for some time to come. Ed may be interested in your bike if you don't want too much, or if he's not I have another friend who I think may be.

I think your going to love that adventure!! Bear
Old 11-16-2004, 08:59 AM   #13
Gusgus
Banned

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Bear
Actually both GSs are mine. I was on the Manderine bike and my friend Ed was on my black one. The yellow one is now in the states now where it will stay for some time to come. Ed may be interested in your bike if you don't want too much, or if he's not I have another friend who I think may be.

I think your going to love that adventure!! Bear
Yes Bear, You are right about that, I am looking forward to using it. I am very excited about next summer. Are you going to do the Dust to Dawson ride?

What pipe is on your GS? It sounded very nice.
That ride sold me on Dirt travel, and I was eyeing your bikes the entire time.

The K bike runs perfectly, and shifts smoothly. every maintance action has been meticously performed. You see,, I am an aircraft mechanic and anal at that.

I bought it from Don at TMS. He sold it new to the man who still owned it. Don maintained it until I got it, in the spring of 2003. It had 14,000 miles on it. I believe it has 30,000 now. I could be wrong, just a guess. It is stored and not easily accessed right now. TMS has agreed to sell it for me, this coming spring, if I still have it.

damage; The paint has rock dings and the tank has some fuel damage to the new paint.
Other than that, I don't know of any damage or dents. The bike is in great shape.

That first summer, I hit a dog on Big Lake Road. It is fine, limps a bit and doesn't chase cars any longer. It contacted the left front side of the engine. It hit the left engine bar and severed the rubber mount end from the lower front. That was about it. I replaced the bar (it had scratches from dragging) and repaired the hole on the side panel where the bar passes through it. Actually I replaced both engine bars (ie. highway pegs) Then I was faced with a "match the paint" or re-paint it situation.

I repainted it yellow, and many extras were added and are included. Like highway pegs, engine bars, fender extenders(front and rear), late model bags('95, K1100LT, 54 liter top box with Corbin back rest)('92 side boxes, inc. BMW side bag liners), tank bag, addition piece and rain cover, I have 2 custom seats(Russel "day long" & Corbin all leather, one included with bike) , heated grips, stainless steel brake lines, synthetic fluids, Fiamm horns, Alarm system, extra LED rear lights as well as LED brake light in the stock tail light, Hyper lights, Big foot on side stand, leather tank cover, 2 power outlets, throttle tensioner (ie..cruise control), works performance rear shock(with remote reservoir and rebound adjustment)
Radio and cassette player, & I'm sure there is more I can't remember right now.

My phone number is the only one in the anonymous book in Big Lake. Do you have it?

If anyone you know is interested I could get it out of storage and ready for viewing any weekend with enough notice.
Thanks for the contact, Bear.
Don
Old 11-16-2004, 10:01 PM   #14
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds like a great crusin bike. I'll pass the information along to some friends.

The pipe on the yellw bike is the Stayintune low pipe with the cat eliminater. Works well but is a little loud for me with out the scilencer which I don't have. I'll check around and see if I can find a buyer for you, Bear
Old 11-16-2004, 11:06 PM   #15
Gusgus
Banned

Your bike wasn't to loud to be near although the big bearded ornery guy who was with us on the Kaw's was just hear and he said compared to his Harley it was silent. That is closer to the truth than I can explain. His bike hurts to be around.

I do appreciate your help.

Yes the K is a nice bike. I will miss it. I had plans to ride it across the lesser states, but work has removed that dream for the time being.

A few years back, there was a friend who had a truck for sale. I asked him "how much?". His responce was "I can't sell this truck to any one I know".
I have giggled and thought about that statement for years now.
Having said that, I assure you, I would love to sell this bike to a good friend. I would sell it to my boss. Actually, I would love to ride with the new owner.