Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2004, 12:17 AM   #16
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
Even if he works for Flight Standards? Actually, he's a really good guy who had his own shop and worked on my plane for years, now he's a partner in it. Also the best flight instructor I've ever been with. Hell of a glider pilot too. I hope he can get the bike, he is fun to ride with. You'd like him when he's not checking your shop. Perhaps we can all do a ride next summer. Bear
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:25 AM   #17
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJEff
Thanks all for the advice! It sounds like I need to do a bit of research, but it should be easily done. My biggest concern was how to register and insure the bike, adn travel under a temporary tag, then license it when I arrive home.

Gus, what are you selling, and what are you buying? I am looking to buy a new '04 Honda ST1300. I could get an '05 through one of the dealers in Alaska, but they went to a horrid red color, whereas the '04 is my favorite color which is blue. So, the plan is to pick up a holdover from a dealer somewhere in America and ride it home
I'm betting I know you. DL1000... and a stunning little Honda track bike, no? You got the short end of the stick when an R1 contacted you on a corner if I'm right. Welcome to the board, Jeff.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:07 PM   #18
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Bear
Even if he works for Flight Standards? Actually, he's a really good guy who had his own shop and worked on my plane for years, now he's a partner in it. Also the best flight instructor I've ever been with. Hell of a glider pilot too. I hope he can get the bike, he is fun to ride with. You'd like him when he's not checking your shop. Perhaps we can all do a ride next summer. Bear
I haven't any trouble with the FSDO people. I actually like a couple of them....Ok fine,,, one guy. And he doesn't like me. I keep telling him we could be great friends if he would just sign off my goat skin Supercub fabric replacement technique.
You may not believe this but I am actually kidding. It actually is not goat skin, but Yak skin.
So Talk to Ed about it and we both could be rich.

Ok fine you caught me, it was actually Zarr's idea. Ed will know who he is.

I am an IA mechanic working on public use aircraft so the FSDO isn't my issue most of the year.

My son in law burned DVD's of the Long Way Round Adventure trip with Ewin McGregor and Charlie Boorman. I have been watching it this evening. I like it quite alot.

I would love to do a summer ride. Any destination would be fine. I have so many I want to do now.

I do love to ride to Fairbanks for dinner at the Turtle Club. Have you eaten there? I do like it. Especially the prime rib. WHEW!
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:19 AM   #19
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Ride to Fairbanks for prime rib! Your on. Any chance I could have a look at those DVDs when your finished with them? I'll even give you a cash deposit. I really want to see them. I'll send you a PM with my phone. My BMW Ananamus book is in the tank bag on my other bike in Reno. Bear

AK Bear screwed with this post 11-18-2004 at 12:30 AM
Old 11-19-2004, 12:15 AM   #20
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Gusgus, Too late, too drunk, will call you tomorrow. Bear
Old 11-19-2004, 08:32 AM   #21
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
Hey Legion,

I was wondering when you'd pop up. This is a great forum! I check it every morning, usually looking at the travelogues. I'll put one of my own up pretty soon. I took a ride to Valdez back in June, and only saw one cloud on the whole trip, on the second day! Been riding lately?
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:14 AM   #22
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Back on topic!

If you are a US Citizen residing in Alaska and come into the lower 48 to purchase a bike, no sweat. Just make sure your paperwork is up to snuff. Bill of Sale, DL, insurance. Drive out tags are placed on new vehicles that are good for 30 days.

If you are planning on being in the lower 48 longer than 30 days I would overnight my paperwork to a friend in your home town and let them pick up your tag and overnight it back to you! Just have him address the return US Mail, Express Mail package to you in the city you plan on being in, in care of GENERAL DELIVERY. You just walk in to the Post Office, show your ID, sign and off you go!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 09:27 PM   #23
Gusgus
Banned

Laugh Ok fine then!

Quote:
Back on topic!
Good chance to quide us rebels back to the subject matter.
Yes jeff it is good to buy a scoot and bring it back. The more the merrier. My question is what were you ridin this past summer? Your ride to Val-disease sounds very warm. I miss those days right now.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #24
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Hey Gus,

I'm currently (well not today anyway) riding an '02 V-Strom, great bike. The Valdez trip was interesting, I've lived in Fairbanks for almost my entire life, (minus two years in Juneau), and had never been to Valdez. Fished in Chitina at least a dozen times, but never made the last little jaunt from there to Valdez. Anyway, it was hot and smoky in Fairbanks, and just hot everywhere else. It was 94 in Glenallen, 94 in Chitina, 82 in Valdez. I'll try and get the travelogue posted this weekend sometime.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:44 AM   #25
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Hey Gus,

I'm currently (well not today anyway) riding an '02 V-Strom, great bike. The Valdez trip was interesting, I've lived in Fairbanks for almost my entire life, (minus two years in Juneau), and had never been to Valdez. Fished in Chitina at least a dozen times, but never made the last little jaunt from there to Valdez. Anyway, it was hot and smoky in Fairbanks, and just hot everywhere else. It was 94 in Glenallen, 94 in Chitina, 82 in Valdez. I'll try and get the travelogue posted this weekend sometime.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #26
Gusgus
Banned

So I would guess you are going to look into getting a street style bike from the lesser 48 states? OR?
Which V Strom? The 650, or the 1000. I have friends who own both models. Yes they are nice rides. The 650, would seem like a better model for dirt roads, and the 1000 better for tarmac. Is this right?

Quote:
riding an '02 V-Strom, great bike.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:10 AM   #27
legion
Wait Til Friday

Dog! A ride to VDZ and not even a peep about it, eh? I think the entire stretch from roughly Paxson to Valdez is probably the prettiest riding in the state. Tough to beat for sure. That said, I feel faaaar less guilty now about how I blew through FBX in late Sept on a Freeze Your Buns Run. Wanna see some pics?

None of the pics have been edited yet. You know how this time of year gets. 100mph w/ your hair on fire trying to keep up w/ work loads, etc. On another note, if you haven't been to McCarthy yet you oughta put that one on the list before you peddle the 'Strom. That and a D2D ride. The Dawson ride's a good one. Btw, if you only saw one cloud on VDZ somebody switched the signs on you. If the whole town isn't all dressed in yellow Helly Hansens... it ain't Valdez! Last I went through there the fog was so thick at the top of the pass you could only see about 75' and it seemed like you were riding on the moon. Barren, w/ scattered boulders. Wierd. Couldn't see a tail lite til you were on it too so I tried to keep the pace up just in case there was a mom w/ 6 kids in a 75mph Suburban somewhere in the gray behind.

Only thing I been riding lately is a snowblower. I see stretches of clear pavement in town but not enough to get excited about. KL5A is probably still riding in Wasilla though as the constant breeze keeps the roads fairly clear. That and he's not one to restrict himself to only sensible choices.

If you give a heads up on your way back from stateside maybe I can meet you for lunch in Tok on your way back through. Maybe bring a few riding buddies along and make the triangle back to Anchorage that day. I assume you're thinking of a straight shot to FBX?

Quote:
Hey Legion,

I was wondering when you'd pop up. This is a great forum! I check it every morning, usually looking at the travelogues. I'll put one of my own up pretty soon. I took a ride to Valdez back in June, and only saw one cloud on the whole trip, on the second day! Been riding lately?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:45 AM   #28
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Gus,

Mine is the 1000, the 650 came out a couple of years after I bought mine. Not knowing any better, the 1000 works great on dirt roads. I live on a 7 mile long dirt/gravel road, and the only problem I have is keeping the thing fed with tires!
The bike I'm looking to bring back would be a Honda ST1300, and I want to see a bit of America on the trip.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:51 AM   #29
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Hey Legion,

The Valdez ride was a spur of the moment trip. I had arranged to take the day off for a Tanacross race, but the Taylor fires caused us to cancel at the last minute, and since the weather was so nice, I just switched bikes and went. When I was in Chitina, I poked my nose onto the McCarthy road, and after a couple of miles realized that it was too rough to make good time on, and since I had a hotel reservation in Valdez, I figured I'd better get back on the highway. Next year...

It looks like you guys ahd a good ride, with the weather cooperating as much as is possible in late September. Did you do the loop, or did you go across the Denali?
Old 11-23-2004, 02:16 PM   #30
legion
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
It looks like you guys ahd a good ride, with the weather cooperating as much as is possible in late September. Did you do the loop, or did you go across the Denali?
Looped through Paxson and stayed on the Richardson. Great ride. Almost no ice. Thought about the Denali Hwy while at the cutoff but didn't take it. This was an unplanned sort of return trip and the route was decided when the Paxson Roadhouse burger was finished.

"Ok, which way we going"?... and we were off that way. One of the guys was on an FZ1 which might have swayed the vote from the Denali but I don't recall. He rode it to Dawson last year too so it's not like he or the bike are alergic to gravel. Had a gas though.