Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2004, 10:15 PM   #31
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Bluhduh Figures!

Hi Jeff
The thing I noticed about having toys, would be parts, tires, fuel, oil and additions are what every toy I have needs. full friggin time! It never stops and I really don't want it to. It keeps me out of the house of ill repute. Well, grampa used to say that. It actually drives me to it, but we shouldn't go there....
Ahem,,,The 1000 is alot of scoot. How does it handle the gravel? I have heard mixed reviews, although I have heard the same thing about every bike. Some like, some don't. Figures.
Have you compared it to the BMW's? My newest arrival into the barn is an '02 R1150GSA, I got to tell you it concerns me whether it will be all it is supposed to be. I know it rides well, I know it has a great powerplant. My trouble in it is the bike's weight and it being able to safely fit my needs, without taxing the scoot. Have you seen the Long Way Round? The broken frame issue? I was contacted by a man who told me that is a common problem. GREAAAAAAT! That is what a new owner want to hear.

Hey Legion,,,,,,,,,
What is up? I thought you had a GS. Matter of fact I remember your riding one last year. When did you sell it? For the KTM? Fill me in!

Gusgus

Quote:
I have is keeping the thing fed with tires!
The bike I'm looking to bring back would be a Honda ST1300, and I want to see a bit of America on the trip.
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:39 AM   #32
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Oddometer: 995
Gus,

Like I said, not knowing any better, the 1000 handles the gravel roads just fine for me. I had just come off of 8 years on a Yamaha XT600, and I find myself traveling much faster on the gravel, and the pavement is a whole different world. The problem I'm having with tires is that after 2000 miles or so, the center of the tread is thin enough that rocks will puncture the tread, and although I carry a plug kit, the hole is often too big to plug. I've run the bike on Bridgestone Trailwings, Michelin Anakees, and am now on Metzeler Tourances, hoping the steel radial will resist punctures better. We'll see. So far, 2500 miles is the average for the rear tire, and I replace the front at every 2nd rear change.

I understand that the 1000 is around 80 pounds lighter than the GS, although I read the new 1200 was put on a bit of a diet. Honestly, I rode pretty carefully for the first few hundred miles of gravel until I felt more comfortable. A trip across the Denali helped a lot. I used to pucker up when the bike started to weave in the gravel, but now I just let it go while I enjoy the scenery.

I think Legion sold his GS, but I'd better let him tell you.

There is a fellow at Big Lake who, like me, was one of the first V-Strom owners. Maybe you know him?
RDJEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:42 AM   #33
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Laugh

Oh yeah, I've been watching Ewan and Charlie and Claudio. Those guys sure fall a lot. Of course they were there, and I'm just judging them on TV. I probably saw them some time last summer, but hey, all those GS's look the same to me!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:02 AM   #34
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,508
Yep... the 1150GS was sold last fall. Nothing wrong w/ the bike in my mind but I thought I'd get a bike w/ a little more grunt and a little less weight. Gave up a fair chunk of comfort in the trade but overall I'm very happy w/ the KTM 950 I picked up.

Wish I had longer legs though. That 950 is definitely a single cheeker for me.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 1200 meeting your needs, Gus. If there's some sort of common and rampant problem w/ the bike you'll hear about it here ...big time. If either of you gents wanna swap bikes out on the road to see what the big katoom's like, just holler when we catch up on the next ride.

Yo Gus, you'll never guess what pic I just hung in the office. Maybe now I'll remember to bring it next time I expect to catch up w/ you.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 PM   #35
Gusgus
Banned

Eh? KTM mania I'm thinkin

The KTM mania is rampant. But I must admit the new 950 is an impressive scoot.

Legion, did you get the black one? It is a very nice lookin thing. How much time do you have on it?
SO,,,the picture is now hung in full view. Very good. You know now you may never want to see it go now.

Jeff, I am not shocked the V-strom is a nice ride. Su-zuks are not beginners at building a fine machine. The guy who manages/invented the Last Frontier Motorcycle Club, bought a 650 and loves it. I don't know the guy in the lake of big. But I have seen him on the road. I used to ride a VERY bright yellow K bike. You can ask him if he remembers seeing me. The Denali ride last summer was the first dirt ride I have ever done in Alaska. After that I had to upgrade to a dual sport. I found I really liked the BMW product. So it all fell into place.
I do at least one ride each summer to The Banks of Fair. And visit my favorite eating establisment. The TurtleClub. Love it, I do.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:55 PM   #36
legion
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusgus
The KTM mania is rampant. But I must admit the new 950 is an impressive scoot.

Legion, did you get the black one? It is a very nice lookin thing. How much time do you have on it?
She's big, she's black, and she likes a good spankin'. That bike goes like hellfire and I really like it. I put roughly 6k mi on it last summer and it was a gas. Real vicseral ride to start with and when I laid the Remus to her it was even more of a hoot.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:15 PM   #37
Gusgus
Banned

Kinky?? Yea baby!

A good time was had by all!

Gusgus

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
She's big, she's black, and she likes a good spankin'. That bike goes like hellfire and I really like it. I put roughly 6k mi on it last summer and it was a gas. Real vicseral ride to start with and when I laid the Remus to her it was even more of a hoot.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:50 PM   #38
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Hey Gus,

I've been to visit at Big Lake on mine a time or two. The Suzuki has proven to be a very solid scoot for me. I would recommend it for anybody looking for a very versatile machine. The Turtle Club is on my commute, so next time, give me a heads-up, and we'll get together.

Legion,

You said you rode a V-Strom, how did it compare with the KTM or the GS?
Old 12-02-2004, 08:18 PM   #39
Gusgus
Banned

You would be a lucky diner, RDJEff.
Local to the Club.

What was the saying? Where the fuck is the turtle club? Well it was something like that. A patron had to say it and they received a discount or ?

In my opinion the Turtle Club is far better than the Breakers in Palm Beach. The food is better and the waitresses, well, well, I didn't want to take them home. OK? I would love to get with ya on our fairbanks gathering ride. Right now we have 2 bikes going. Bear and I, along with my faithful rider. So we will just see how big the party gets to be and we will have a fun evening.
Thanks for the offer.

BEAR? You there?

When do you want to scratch in our trip for din din?

Gusgus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJEff
Hey Gus,

I've been to visit at Big Lake on mine a time or two. The Suzuki has proven to be a very solid scoot for me. I would recommend it for anybody looking for a very versatile machine. The Turtle Club is on my commute, so next time, give me a heads-up, and we'll get together.

Legion,

Old 12-02-2004, 08:32 PM   #40
legion
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
I did? I've got a couple buddies w/ Stroms and I've ridden w/ them plenty but I can't recall swapping bikes w/ them. I could be having a Ron Reagan moment though. Axe me something else
Old 12-02-2004, 08:49 PM   #41
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
Early June would work best for me. I have some state side riding later in the summer and I'm not sure of the dates yet. Bear
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:43 AM   #42
Gusgus
Banned

All-righty then, we should get a solid date carved out of the month named June and begin the

longing for warmth. The prime rib is calling already.
Did you check out the light bar? WAD ya think? or

Gusgus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Bear
Early June would work best for me. I have some state side riding later in the summer and I'm not sure of the dates yet. Bear
Old 12-03-2004, 08:48 AM   #43
RDJEff OP
Lost in Alaska

Gus,

What you are talking about is the old password game. Someone asks the question: "Are you a turtle?" To which you reply" You bet your sweet ass I am!" You'll see it on the menus as YBYSAIA. At least that is how I remember it.

Legion,

I think what you said was that there had been a V-Strom or two in your driveway, and I took that to mean you had been for a ride on one. Oh well, I guess you still don't know what you're missing!
Old 12-03-2004, 05:15 PM   #44
legion
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
I think what you said was that there had been a V-Strom or two in your driveway, and I took that to mean you had been for a ride on one. Oh well, I guess you still don't know what you're missing!
Now that I remember. You probably know the guys too but neither of 'em stop in here that I've noticed.