ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #586
little john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
for those of you interested in showing off and having your beers judged. on international beer day, first sat in August. Hydro Street Brewery in Columbus WI is having an arts and ales fest that will include a home brew taste / judging. there will be more info and suggested style/ flavor coming up as soon as I hear.
little john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #587
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Maple beer

It is almost maple tree tapping time here in MO, and wondering if anyone had made a batch of maple beer. Found several recipes online, from straight sap and hop, to using sap as the water in a pale ale recipe. Anyone try this yet? Buying some taps and buckets online to give this a shot.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #588
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
It is almost maple tree tapping time here in MO, and wondering if anyone had made a batch of maple beer. Found several recipes online, from straight sap and hop, to using sap as the water in a pale ale recipe. Anyone try this yet? Buying some taps and buckets online to give this a shot.
Never tried it, but I hear maple syrup is like honey or apple cider, so fermentable that it takes some doing to end up with the maple flavor coming through. Might work better with the raw sap though.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #589
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
A co-worker last year had just started brewing but made up his own recipe by using sap instead of water in an extract kit. Don't remember the style, but it was very impressive for an experienced homebrewer, much more a newbie experimenting.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #590
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

new belgian steeping now

Brewing a new recipe made in beersmith, an amber ale I call "Not as Drunk Monk", in reference to my dubbel that is bottled now. Gotta love brewing software, makes it so easy. Planning my hops garden now, might even throw in some 2 row in an unused part of the yard.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #591
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,598
I planted four cuttings last year and the only ones that took off were the centennial plants, but they went like crazy. I hope to get a good harvest this year.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #592
Apocalypse Cow
SHEEP LIE!!!!!

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by little john View Post
for those of you interested in showing off and having your beers judged. on international beer day, first sat in August. Hydro Street Brewery in Columbus WI is having an arts and ales fest that will include a home brew taste / judging. there will be more info and suggested style/ flavor coming up as soon as I hear.
I would really llike to hear more about that event.
Everyone seems to really like the free beer that I keep making them (duh) but I would really like to get a judges opinion as to how they meet the style they're intended for.

"I've set the bar high because I'm tired ducking."
Apocalypse Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #593
argentcorvid
Some Guy

Oddometer: 450
Know someone that wants to get into brewing cheap?

Midwest supplies has a deal for their starter kit that includes everything the bottles for $64 + $12 shipping.
you've got to sign up for the deal site to get it. it's like groupon, if you've used that; you pay the deal site, and they give you a coupon code that pays for your item.

http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/588148

contents:

• $25 Discount Coupon for next purchase
  • Homebrew Wallet Bottle Opener
  • 6.5 Gallon Fermenter and Lid
  • 6.5 Gallon Bottling Bucket with Spigot
  • 4 Oz. of Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
  • Airlock (Keeps air out of the fermenter)
  • Hydrometer (Determines alcohol content)
  • Bottle Brush
  • Twin Lever Black Beauty Bottle Capper
  • Bottle Caps
  • Liquid Crystal Thermometer
  • Bottle Filler
  • Racking Tube with Bucket Clip
  • Siphon Tubing
  • Recipe kit (included). Choose between Irish Red Ale, Amber Ale and Irish Stout.
argentcorvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #594
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,451
New burner!!!!

Guess what one is new?

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #595
hdgypsyman
Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
How does the new burner work?

I am using the twin brother to your old burner to brew an oatmeal stout right now. What brand is your new burner? How much better is it than the old one? is it more efficient? Faster? Or (hopefully)both?
I've been on a brewing kick lately and I have gone through several 20lb propane tanks in the process......
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #596
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgypsyman View Post
I am using the twin brother to your old burner to brew an oatmeal stout right now. What brand is your new burner? How much better is it than the old one? is it more efficient? Faster? Or (hopefully)both?
I've been on a brewing kick lately and I have gone through several 20lb propane tanks in the process......
I have not had a chance to brew with it yet.....

But all the reviews I read were great. Quiet, Efficient, and heats fast. So far, all I can say is that it is whisper quiet, and that it puts off a TON of heat. Almost overkill for my 10gal pot!

Blichmann Burner (w/ optional extended legs)

You can buy a lot of propane for the cost of this burner, if you are just on a brewing kick. I plan to brew steadily for many years to come. So my upgrades will reflect that.
There are other options that cost a lot less.... Bayou Classic has a lot of different burners that I hear a lot are happy with.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #597
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Just brewed my first 10 gallon batch

Scaled up my house beer, an american amber ale with cascade and mt rainier hops. !0 gallon batch, a bit more work than the 5 gallon batch. 2 six gallon carboys are awaiting the cooled wort. Using the standard safale 05 for this. Everyone likes this batch, easy to drink, 5.5% and 35 ibus. Good color from 2lbs of 120L. Should be decent.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #598
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

maple tree tap

Tapped 3 maples today, a silver, a red, and an elder box. No sugars or blacks around, so figure I will be boiling down lots of sap, but the taps already have a gallon per tree. Used a set of taps from online, with hoses and 5 gal buckets. Planning on a maple porter or amber ale. Tapping one more tree this week after I get one more bucket. Looks like fun, and finally a good use for my 15 gallon boil pot when not making beer.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #599
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I have not had a chance to brew with it yet.....

But all the reviews I read were great. Quiet, Efficient, and heats fast. So far, all I can say is that it is whisper quiet, and that it puts off a TON of heat. Almost overkill for my 10gal pot!

Blichmann Burner (w/ optional extended legs)

nice looking burner. I was thinking of upgrading my brewstand burners but am having a hard time finding bigger ones. I think they are currently 100kbtu.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #600
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
nice looking burner. I was thinking of upgrading my brewstand burners but am having a hard time finding bigger ones. I think they are currently 100kbtu.
You can find the same burners for cheap... OVERSTOCK.com
If you are just going to put them in a brew stand.

BLOG